Default How long in customs?

Hi, I am scheduled to be going to CSA June 21st, on a monday, and I am wondering how long it usually takes to get through customs?

Customs usually only takes us about 5-10 minutes, but Immigration takes nearly an hour.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

20-30 minutes, at most, to get through both immigration and customs (which includes baggage claim).

Customs and Immigration will take as long as it takes. I don't understand why people always ask this question...you'll get through when you do and then you will head to the Lounge. It could take you 20 minutes or it could take you 90 minutes; go in expecting a two hour delay and you might not be disappointed. Then again your luggage might get lost and your could be there half a day. Relax. Your transportation and the resort will be there when you are finished with the formalities.

Seriously, it depends on how many flights are arriving at the same time you are.

We went last September, and it took us about 20-25 minutes to clear both. We'd arrived early, and another plane had landed about 10 minutes before we did. I suspect if we had arrived on time, we would have made it through faster.

If you land in that time between noon and 2pm, when there is seemingly a flight arriving every five minutes, I'm sure it can get quite backed up. (For instance, today I see there are 12 flights arriving between noon and 2:10pm).
    Last edited by jagorham; June 15th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

In 3 trips the longest customs has taken is 5 minutes. We have been able to get through immigration in as little as 10 minutes (arrived at Mobay around 10:00 a.m.) and as long as 1 1/2 hrs (arrived at Mobay around 12:30). It will all depend how many flights arrive at the same time you do. Just make sure to fill out the forms they give you on the plane COMPLETELY!! This may speed things up in that there are always a bunch of people who forget to do so and have to complete their paperwork before going through immigration.

FYI - you'll go through immigration first and customs just before you get to the Couples lounge!

It totally depends on what time your flight gets in and how many other flights are landing at the same time. We arrived on a Saturday (May 29th)around noon and we were through customs, immigration, picked up our bags which were already off the carousel, grabbed a Red Stripe at the Couples Lounge and were on the bus in 20 minutes after stepping off the plane! We have also been in long lines in January when it took an hour. Good Luck!

On a Monday, your wait should not be too bad, a lot depends upon if other large planes are landing around the same time as your flight. If so, immigration and customs could back up. Another question is, where are you seated on the plane? If you are sitting towards the front, you will get through faster than those seated towards the back of the plane.

We have never had to wait more than 20 minutes to get through Customs and Immigration in Jamaica, but we don't usually arrive at peak times.

It was much longer when we used to travel on Saturdays. Now, we arrive on Fridays and there isn't nearly as many people.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

took us 30 minutes for both. We arrived late at night.

It really depends on how many people are in front of you (obviously). The last time we were there it took about 1 1/2 hours or so to get through both.

If you arrive in the morning, customs is a breeze. It is amazing to me how fast you can get through.

it all depends on the number of flights that have arrived before you do. usually several land at times that are minutes apart so if you are first away you go. if you are on one of the later ones you will have to wait a bit. no problem mon you will be in Jamaica.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by lvbhappy View Post
    Hi, I am scheduled to be going to CSA June 21st, on a monday, and I am wondering how long it usually takes to get through customs?
    So many things can factor in that such as time of day, day of the week, time of year etc. What you can do to help is to get all your forms completed before you get off the plane. So keep pens, passport, and itinerary available to complete the immigration form. We have stood in that line for an hour and we have walked right through. If your forms are not completely filled out they will have you step aside and complete them. They used to let people complete them at the desk, but no longer allow that which is good for those of us who actually do the form on the plane.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnmariann View Post
    If you arrive in the morning, customs is a breeze. It is amazing to me how fast you can get through.
    I wouldn't count on that. We got there at 9am and the line was so long it was going past the ropes and down the hall. The time before that we only waited about an hour at 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by landj View Post
    Customs and Immigration will take as long as it takes. I don't understand why people always ask this question...you'll get through when you do and then you will head to the Lounge. It could take you 20 minutes or it could take you 90 minutes; go in expecting a two hour delay and you might not be disappointed. Then again your luggage might get lost and your could be there half a day. Relax. Your transportation and the resort will be there when you are finished with the formalities.

Probably the reason some people ask is because if you have never been out of the country, you have NO IDEA what to expect and it is easier to at least set your expectations. Last year was the first time I have ever flown out of the country and had no idea whether it was going to be 15 min or 1.5 hours and if I knew that, and set my expectations, it makes the wait less painful. People hear horror stories and just want to ask some one who has experience.....this is a legitimate question and not a very nice answer....
    Last edited by cleversole; June 15th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

And as someone who has said experience, I'm saying that it can take 20 minutes or 90 minutes. If you expect 20 minutes and it takes 90 then you will be disappointed and probably hopping mad. If you expect 90 minutes then you will (usually) be pleasantly surprised. The point for all travelers, and inexperienced ones in particular, is that you absolutely have to be prepared to have your expectations dashed sometimes. So often new travelers have a less than favorable time because they were told that Customs/Immigration would only take 15 minutes and it ended up taking an hour and it sets off the whole trip on a sour note. It's one thing to ask, it's another thing to expect your experience will be the same as another person's.