Hybrid View

Default Sept Weather...(the 'H' Word)

My wife and I are planning a 15-yr Anniversary trip to Jamaica in September...are we completely crazy??

I consider myself a bit of a risk taker, and feel as though the odds of having great (ok, hot, but great) weather in September is way higher than having one of those...you know, 'H' things.

My wife, on the other hand, is a bit more of a 'glass-is-half-empty' worry-wart kind of person (which is why I love her, she is the Zig to my Zag!!)

Would love to hear any/all experiences that you've had to help me put her mind at ease!

Hoping to make CN over Labor Day happen for our 1st Jamaican vacation!

Thanks!

Hey Iowaboy - We're your neighbors to the south - KCMO area. We'll also be at CN over Labor Day celebrating our 30th Anniversary ...... You've picked THE PERFECT place for your first Jamaican vacation & your anniversary! Don't waste any time worrying about the 'H' word. You should buy the "cancel for any reason up to day of departure" insurance, though. We've been to Jamaica several times in the past 12 years but normally go in the winter or spring. In 2007, we went to celebrate our 27th anniversary & a few days before we were to arrive, Hurricane Dean went through with Jamaica in his path. Needless to say, we kept our eyes on the weather channel & this message board to see what was going on but all was fine in Negril. We went ahead & went & the only thing we could see that had happened since our previous trip to CN in December 2006 was some damage to the palm trees but only because we had pictures from December & September & could see the difference. The weather was great while we were there ...... same as always ..... sunny clear mornings with some sprinkles or rain in the afternoon. Nothing to worry about. If there is one of those 'H' things in the area, you know it well ahead of time & you can decide what to do then but the chances of it causing you any problems on your trip is pretty slim ....... GO ENJOY!!! See you there.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    Hey Iowaboy - We're your neighbors to the south - KCMO area. We'll also be at CN over Labor Day celebrating our 30th Anniversary ...... You've picked THE PERFECT place for your first Jamaican vacation & your anniversary! Don't waste any time worrying about the 'H' word. You should buy the "cancel for any reason up to day of departure" insurance, though. We've been to Jamaica several times in the past 12 years but normally go in the winter or spring. In 2007, we went to celebrate our 27th anniversary & a few days before we were to arrive, Hurricane Dean went through with Jamaica in his path. Needless to say, we kept our eyes on the weather channel & this message board to see what was going on but all was fine in Negril. We went ahead & went & the only thing we could see that had happened since our previous trip to CN in December 2006 was some damage to the palm trees but only because we had pictures from December & September & could see the difference. The weather was great while we were there ...... same as always ..... sunny clear mornings with some sprinkles or rain in the afternoon. Nothing to worry about. If there is one of those 'H' things in the area, you know it well ahead of time & you can decide what to do then but the chances of it causing you any problems on your trip is pretty slim ....... GO ENJOY!!! See you there.
    We're from the KCMO area too! Headed to CSA Sept. 15th. Double digits. We're so excited.

Jenpatrick - Guess we'll miss you at CN by a week. If you've never been ....... You're in for an amazing vacation & if you have been ....... you already know that. We live 30 miles east of KCMO just outside of Blue Springs to the NE a few miles. What about you?
    Julie

Just pick up some "cancel for any reason" trip insurance. It's not very expensive and can be found on-line.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

We have been to Jamaica 15 times during hurricane season. Once we had a storm heading for the island but then during the night it moved south and the weather cleared up. How many hurricanes have hit the island in say the last 20 years? It's a bit of a chance as it certainly could happen but the odds are in your favor that you'll have a great trip.

Default i have some input

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    My wife and I are planning a 15-yr Anniversary trip to Jamaica in September...are we completely crazy??

I consider myself a bit of a risk taker, and feel as though the odds of having great (ok, hot, but great) weather in September is way higher than having one of those...you know, 'H' things.

My wife, on the other hand, is a bit more of a 'glass-is-half-empty' worry-wart kind of person (which is why I love her, she is the Zig to my Zag!!)

Would love to hear any/all experiences that you've had to help me put her mind at ease!

Hoping to make CN over Labor Day happen for our 1st Jamaican vacation!

Thanks!
    my parents came to jamacia twice in sept.never had a problem.nothing but sunny skies and beautiful oceans.no worries mon......sit back and relax it'll be ok

we have done over 12 trips to csa during that time and we have always had beautiful weather,no worries
    R.

You should definitely go! We usually take a late summer trip to the Caribbean every year. September is prime hurricane season, but just make sure you have bought the trip insurance that let's you cancel for weather. More than likely, you won't have any problems at all, and the Caribbean is lovely during September (and much quieter).

Also from KCMO, my husband and I will be at CSA on Sept 3rd. Before we booked he made me plot out all of the hurricanes that came anywhre near Jamaica for the last 10 years. I think there were 2 storms during the time we would be there and neither one of them were very strong. I know past hurricane season's can't really predict future hurricane seasons but it made us feel better! 73 days and counting!

We live in Lee's Summit. We were married at CSA and actually, we are going back to CSA. We'll be trying the swap at CN this time, however. Any recommendation on must try's on the day we are there?

Jenpatrick - Walk the entire beach at CN all along the bay past the other resorts & make sure to hang out at the pool & pool bar! Also, love the jerk chicken at the beach grill with a side of cheese fries ...... VERY YUMMY! Think we may do the swap & go over to CSA this time ...... the only time we stayed there was just before they renovated & doubled the size of the resort so we want to check it out & see all the new stuff.
    Julie

Last edited by Genelle; July 8th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.