Default How to dress for dinner?

Hi,

We are a Norwegian couple who are to visit Couples Negril for the first time this July. Can anyone please give me some details about dress code for men when dining at any of the restaurants? Is long sleeved shirts mandatory? Tie? Black pants? What are the rules, and how strictly do the staff enforce the rules?

You only have to dress up for one restaurant, the one you have to book. Collared shirt (can be short sleeves or a Polo t-shirt) long pants and closed toed footwear. All the others you can hapily wear your dress shorts.

This is a good question, and one that gets asked a lot, because the website is rather inconsistent (as someone pointed out on another thread about required footwear)

The main FAQS say this:
    "Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.
    Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed."

So define "gourmet restuarants"? This is misleading and makes one think they need to dress up far more then they need to. I really wish they would fix this already!

If you look at the individual resort's pags (the dining pages) it says this:
    "Required Dress Code - [Resort Attire-Jeans, sneakers, flip flops and shorts are not permitted]"
    for these restaurants only:
    CN - Otaheite
    CTI - 8 Rivers
    CSS - Cassanova and Palazzina
    CSA - is different. For Feathers it says "Required Dress Code for ladies is "semi-formal".
    For gentlemen: collar shirt, dress long pants (no jeans/ denim), dress shoes / closed shoes."

For all the other restuarants it says eitehr "casual", "resort casual", or "casual elegance", with only CSA mentioning no flip flops or beach slippers (so don't go to dinner in your slippers! LOL.

They USED TO specify (before we went to CSA in 2008) that men had to wear a collared shirt to dinner, and absolutely no sleeveless shirts for men. I don't see that anymore. Too bad. I thought that was a good one. I don't wish to see men's hairy armpits at dinner.

So at CN you should be fine wearing pants and dress shirt (which can absolutely be the short sleeve, button up type) in Otaheite. Leave the suit and tie at home for sure! You'd die from the heat! Otherwise the same nice button up shirts, or polo shirts (collared, short sleeved) but with dressier shorts should be fine in the other restaurants.
    For the women it's certainly much easier. I usually just wear a dress to all the restauarants at night. Capri pants are ok too. Dress shorts should be ok at night in the casual ones, but with a nice top/blouse to not feel underdressed.

I think the main thing about the men's dress code that bothers people is the thought of wearing socks and shoes and long pants in a hot tropical environment. I say for the men if you don't have to wear long pants to a particular restaurant, don't! Wear some NICE shorts and stay cool.

From the FAQs:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Collared shirt, short sleeve is fine, long pants (slacks) any color, closed toed shoes any color but no sneakers. I wear a pair of dress Dockers pants with a Hawaiian shirt and casual loafers. Works fine. No tie or Jacket required. Oh, be sure to wear a smile!

Couples Negril dress code is best stated as "nicely casual". I never saw any man wearing a long sleeve shirt or a tie. It is too hot. Most men wear light colored slacks to the reservation resturaunt. Nice khaki shorts were worn by most men to the other places to eat.

This link should help:

http://couples.com/13cn/34dining.htm

"Is long sleeved shirts mandatory? Tie? Black pants?"
    No, no & no.
    Vicky

you mention swimwear must be dry and covered-shorts/tshirts. Is this for both men and women. My swim suit are long swim trunks that basically look like shorts. Do I still need to cover them??

Here is pretty much how we dressed for dinner at Otaheite Restaurant other restaurants I wore longer shorts with dressy style sandals and my wife dressed pretty much as the picture each night small comfortable style clothes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Kamelia View Post
    Hi,

We are a Norwegian couple who are to visit Couples Negril for the first time this July. Can anyone please give me some details about dress code for men when dining at any of the restaurants? Is long sleeved shirts mandatory? Tie? Black pants? What are the rules, and how strictly do the staff enforce the rules?
    ...Keep in mind, this is "Tropics". Dress is "Tropical Casual". Generally, women tend to wear (Sun)dresses in the evening. Men wear nice slacks and button up (Hawaiian or Golf) shirts. These are ALL nice, romantic restaurants. What would you wear on a date to a romantic restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    From the FAQs:

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women.
    Can women wear trousers?!?!? It only says dress or skirt. I'm assuming so - hoping so given that I just brought a couple of pairs of linen trousers for the holiday

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    you mention swimwear must be dry and covered-shorts/tshirts. Is this for both men and women. My swim suit are long swim trunks that basically look like shorts. Do I still need to cover them??
    If your swimsuit looks like shorts, then just put on a t-shirt and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Can women wear trousers?!?!? It only says dress or skirt. I'm assuming so - hoping so given that I just brought a couple of pairs of linen trousers for the holiday
    The dress code isn't carved in stone. We've frequently seen women wearing capri pants to dinner at Otaheite. We've been to CN 13 times; in my opinion, based upon the dress we have observed guests wearing to dinner over the years, your linen trousers will be fine.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).