Hybrid View

Default Appleton Rum and YS Falls excursion

Anyone know about how much this tour runs?

It was $100 per person for the Black River, YS Falls and Appleton. I think you have to do all three... or you can leave off the Appleton. I have to say, though, it was nice to see some more of Jamaica but it was a long day, very hot and you are kind of herded from place to place. Plus, you really should tip the tour guides on the Black River and YS Falls as well as the bus driver so you're really in for another $40 or so.

Choosing just two attraction sites in a day is definitely the way to go if you want to experience the countryside in a more leisurely fashion. You may very well have to arrange this particular outing with a driver parked on the resort property or an outside company...you're choice.

You didn't mention when you'll be here, but summers are quite rainy in the afternoon, and choosing only two rather than three places means you've far less liklihood of getting rained out of one of them for sure. The Appleton Valley gets some wicked lightning storms in the summer months, quite impressive.

If you do go the private driver route, ask to go to Appleton first, then have lunch on the road, then hit YS. You'll avoid crowds this way, as the cruise ship passenger buses and resort buses tend to do the trip in reverse. Be sure to have your driver stop in Middle Quarters for you to try some of the area's delicacy..."pepper shrimp" (salty, spicy peel and eat shrimp...or, do it the Jamaican way...pop off the head and tail, then munch the rest...the flavor is in the soft 'shell' and a light softly crunchy balance to the sweet and tender meat of the shrimp. Get the soft shell shrimp, NOT the large ones that look like mini lobsters and have hard shells...the meat is tough and mealy.

There are so many fruit stands and food stalls in the YS/Appleton area...you can graze your way through the day.

Appleton is closed Sundays and YS Mondays so you'll then have Tuesdays through Saturdays for your outing.

Road Gypsy -- How do you find a private driver? Is it through Couples?

Great tips, btw!!!

Just got home from CN on June 28. We did a day excursion to Black River, YS Falls, and Appleton Estate. $100 for the day, plus driver tip, lunch, etc.
    We really got a better sense of the country of Jamaica and the drive through the mountains was educational!

I didn't feel rushed at any of the sites. YS Falls was running very swiftly so none of us felt compelled to do any swimming there, saving us quite a bit of time.
    We visited Appleton last, and it did rain while we were there, and on the way back to CN. Certainly didn't ruin the day or the Appleton tour in any way.
    I do agree that it made for a long day, so make sure you plan to take it easy that night and/or the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gellis View Post
    Just got home from CN on June 28. We did a day excursion to Black River, YS Falls, and Appleton Estate. $100 for the day, plus driver tip, lunch, etc.
    We really got a better sense of the country of Jamaica and the drive through the mountains was educational!

I didn't feel rushed at any of the sites. YS Falls was running very swiftly so none of us felt compelled to do any swimming there, saving us quite a bit of time.
    We visited Appleton last, and it did rain while we were there, and on the way back to CN. Certainly didn't ruin the day or the Appleton tour in any way.
    I do agree that it made for a long day, so make sure you plan to take it easy that night and/or the next day.
    We are going to csa in March, and I really want to go to the waterfalls to swim in them. Do you know how the falls are then? Or does it just depend on the day?