Default purchas coke at rest stop

does anyone know if they sell coke at the rest stop on the way to negril. cant stand pepsi

Have you tried their Pepsi? I was pleasantly surprised...heck, I even liked the Diet [gasp! lol] Pepsi

The place we stopped didn't have it. Pepsi and 7up only. Couldn't find coke or dr pepper anywhere in town.

Sorry Coke products are not imported to Jamaica but Pepsi is a local product.

I don't know the answer to your question but I am a Coke fan as well and I can tell you that in Jamaica the Coke and Pepsi do not taste like they do at home. The sweatener they use is different so it doesn't taste like you expect. Drink something else if you can't stand what they are serving, lots of other things to choose from in Jamaica. A soda pop will certainly be the least of your worries once you get there.

The shuttle drivers don't always stop at the same rest stops, so no guarantee. But where ever they stop, know that Coke will not taste like Coke in the states, nor will Pepsi.
    Vicky

Coke, Coke Zero, and Coke Lite can be purchased at the Hi-Lo Grocery store in the Sunshine Plaza (on the west end road as you head towards Rick's Cafe.) Look for it in the refrigerated section on the left of the frozen food 'bin'. As you enter the store and take a left past the Western Union and FX Money EXchange windows, just head to the farthest wall...you'll find your Coke products easily.

I know this doesn't help in the way of the rest stop drink, but should you not find the Coke products you wanted after that, thought this might help a little.

And just remember that the "sweetener" used in Jamaica is ::Gasp:: REAL SUGAR!! Not that High Fructose Corn Syrup nonsense used here in the states. I love the soda in JA. In fact, it's the only place that I WILL drink regular soda.

Quote Originally Posted by mccutchj View Post
    does anyone know if they sell coke at the rest stop on the way to negril. cant stand pepsi
    Try the pepsi, it is made with sugar instead of corn syrup. It tastes totally different. I am a diet coke drinker (addicted). I cannot stand regular soda, but the pepsi there is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RDYJMJM View Post
    That is not true, you can get diet coke in the gift shop, so some coke is on the island.

Drink Ting instead! I'm not a grapefruit fan, but there's something about this stuff. Coke will be here when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    And just remember that the "sweetener" used in Jamaica is ::Gasp:: REAL SUGAR!! Not that High Fructose Corn Syrup nonsense used here in the states. I love the soda in JA. In fact, it's the only place that I WILL drink regular soda.

Amen!

I was really surprised to see High Fructose Corn Syrup on the side of the Pepsi bottle in our minibar. I thought they only used sugar. It still tastes like more like Coke than American Pepsi to me though. My husband likes Coke and loved the Jamaican Pepsi.

rwhip you are right....ting and rum, delic!!! That was our afternoon drink in our room everyday...only 140 days to go. Yay for sun, sand and love.

Quote Originally Posted by RDYJMJM View Post
    I have had Coke in Jamaica, many times. Before the remodel at CTI you could get Coke or Pepsi from the soda fountain. Yes, I checked and they did taste different from each other. I have also purchased Coke at rest stops and the airport. What you won't see though is McDonalds. You will see Burger King and KFC, though.
    Last edited by Vickyj; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Vicky

actually they do have a KFC in Montego Bay. I saw it on the bus as we were leaving the airport.

I have had Coke plenty of times in Jamaica. Although I didn't get it at a rest stop, I was able to get it at another local store and at a gas station.

KFC (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc) used to be owned by Pepsi until the late 90's when they spun off into their own company which is why they sell Pepsi at KFC. There are a bunch of KFCs in Jamaica as well as Burger Kings. I can't remember about McDonald's though.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    KFC (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc) used to be owned by Pepsi until the late 90's when they spun off into their own company which is why they sell Pepsi at KFC. There are a bunch of KFCs in Jamaica as well as Burger Kings. I can't remember about McDonald's though.
    We were told that McDonald's came in but then left.
    Vicky