Default CSS Room Selection Assistance

We are hoping to draw upon the experienced CSS travellers on this site to help us with our room selection at CSS for our 20th anniversary trip this fall.

We have read the decriptions and really don't need the large sitting area in our room as most of our sitting will be done on the verandah, the beach, the bar or in one of the many great restaurants.

We are in our 40's and don't mind climbing some stairs. Probably be good for me (Hubby) to wear off some of the rum drinks and great food so I don't come home with stretch marks! My dear wife has self control and always looks great so the stairs wouldn't really benefit her as it would me.

We are hoping to have a nice quiet room with a large balcony that has a couple of loungers on them...We have seen these in the pictures but are not sure what room category they are.

We would love to have a nice view of the bay so we can have coffee on the verandah in the morning and a drink or two before dinner at night.We know we can't pre-select our room but booking a certain category may help get us close to what we are hoping for.

Any thoughts as to which room category would be best to book with the hopes of getting a room as decribed above? (We think that we have read in a thread that Block E has a great view up on the cliffs but we aren't sure what room category that was or if they have large the veranda with the loungers).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Good choice of resort! If you want the double loungers on the balcony you have two choices, either a 1 bedroom ocean suite or a penthouse suite. The penthouse suites all have large balconies, either top floor block D or top floor block E. The 1 bedroom suites in block E, F or G have large balconies with double loungers, but the ones in block D have small balconies with no loungers.
    (Karen&Paul)

Here's a pic of our balcony in B Bldg. - beachfront suites.
    Our room was on the end so our balcony was open on 2 sides.
    Great views, private, just wonderful. Whatever you choose
    will be super.
    Mike & Martha

CSS 2010, 2013, 2014
    CTI 2011
    CN 2012

G Block!!! If you don't mind the stairs, the Verandah Suites are the place to be for GREAT views and large balconies.

We wanted exactly the same as you and stayed in G13, a one bedroom ocean suite. Would definitely select that room type again.

Karen & Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    We have read the decriptions and really don't need the large sitting area in our room as most of our sitting will be done on the verandah, the beach, the bar or in one of the many great restaurants.
    We haven't gone yet, but we've booked. Like you, we also didn't want the living area separate to a bedroom (particularly when the bedroom is in the back). Who wants to sit inside? Also, we like to wake up and see the ocean.
    We also decided we wanted to be up on the cliffs overlooking the bay, as opposed to down below behind the pool, (yes, I realize you can see the ocean, but the sweeping views from up high look stunning) so the one bedroom Beachfront suites were out for us (again, separate bedroom).
    The lowest category don't even mention verandahs, and in the photos it appears they are standing only with no chairs at all (and they have a separate bedroom). Don't choose that!
    The one bedroom ocean suites have the bedroom in the back and a sitting room up front (according to the photos) so those are a no go.
    So we picked the "Deluxe Ocean Verandah Suite", as it's the ONLY option without a separate bedroom, (so we can wake up to the view) and is in the location we're looking for. It doesn't appear to have the largest balcony, but we figure we won't be lounging on it during the day (we'll want to be on the beach!). So for us the regular chairs and a table are enough for a morning coffee with a view, and an evening drink.
    If we wanted to splurge though we'd go with a penthouse, as the bedroom looks to open up onto the HUGE verandah with an awesome view. I just couldn't justify the extra expense when we spend so little time at our room. Just my train of thought... I can hardly wait to go.

Are you allowed to pick a room in advance? We are going 2/2011 and thought you couldn't.

No, you cannot pick a room in advance, they are assigned upon arrival. Once there, you can request a room/floor/building, and Couples will do what they can to accomodate your request, but it just depends on what is available on the day that you arrive.

Just a little advanced warning...We spent 4 plus months dreaming about the one-bedroom ocean suite we booked (photos via couples panoramic views and the same description and photos found on Apple & Funjet vacations websites). We booked this room because we DID want the separate bedroom, living room, and huge veranda with full table and lounger. I'm an early riser, he is not. We wanted to spend lots of am and pm time on the balcony, morning coffee, evening drinks and sunsets. When we arrived at 9:30pm we were put in D17 which was a big disappointment. The room was immaculate and cute, however, it was not at all what we thought we booked, tiny balcony, barely enough room to pull out chair and sit and the view was poor. The next am I voiced my concern and without hesitation I was shown G2 and we immediately accepted it. We moved by 3pm the next afternoon and the rest of the trip was nothing short of SPECTACULAR. My point...know in advance that there are big differences in the rooms within the categories. Collect some info here about great rooms people have had and be prepared to ask on arrival if they are available.

Thanks everyone. We will likely try for the one bedroom or the PH suite if we can get a deal. It won't be a deal breaker if we don't have the huge balcony but it sure would be nice to have the view and double loungers though. Maybe we will just have to cut back on buying our kids some minor incidentals, like food and clothing, so we can save up a few extra bucks over the next few months!

This message board has been a great source of information.

Thanks again!

I have to agree with tanline. We had booked a One bedroom ocean view the first year we went I too had been looking forward to the large balconly with the double lounger. We got D building, and a small balconly with only the table and two chairs. I had asked about it at the front desk, and yes the room was a one bedroom ocean view. The view was beautiful, and the location was actually perfect for us, basically in the middle of the trip from the beach to the lobby. Here is the view we had.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tanline View Post
    Just a little advanced warning...We spent 4 plus months dreaming about the one-bedroom ocean suite we booked (photos via couples panoramic views and the same description and photos found on Apple & Funjet vacations websites). We booked this room because we DID want the separate bedroom, living room, and huge veranda with full table and lounger. I'm an early riser, he is not. We wanted to spend lots of am and pm time on the balcony, morning coffee, evening drinks and sunsets. When we arrived at 9:30pm we were put in D17 which was a big disappointment. The room was immaculate and cute, however, it was not at all what we thought we booked, tiny balcony, barely enough room to pull out chair and sit and the view was poor. The next am I voiced my concern and without hesitation I was shown G2 and we immediately accepted it. We moved by 3pm the next afternoon and the rest of the trip was nothing short of SPECTACULAR. My point...know in advance that there are big differences in the rooms within the categories. Collect some info here about great rooms people have had and be prepared to ask on arrival if they are available.
    Any photos of balcony and view from G2? We had a 2 week stay in 2009 and had one week at G4 (loved it but view was obstructed) and one week at D18. Loved it, but smaller balcony.

We were orginally given a room in building D. We also requested a move and were moved. We were given G17. Which we loved, but the stairs got to be too much for me. I had a broken leg. So we were moved to A building. Location was great. The view was good. The room was small. Next month I am hoping to get a second floor G unit. G17 was a corner unit so it was great. If I could choose any unit it would be the other corner G unit on the second floor.

If you don't like your room, just ask at the desk if there is something they could move you too. Also, when you are checking in, tell what type of balcony and view you are wanting and hopefully they'll give you the perfect room.

Jamaicamecrazy, just wanted to be sure you're not misled about the pent house suites... we stayed in the Prime Minister Suite and the bedroom does not open up onto the balcony... the living room does. Can't speak for the other Penthouse suites, but this one is not what you're describing. However, it was PERFECT... the bedroom was very private and we couldn't have dreamed of a better room.

We have stayed twice at the Penthouse at CSS (E block) and for us it perfect. The Living room opens to the balcony, with an unbelievable view, Bedroom is separate. Lots of living space.

RubiGal04..when were y'all there? We were in the Steve McQueen D14 from 8/14 thru 8/6...

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Everybody has different taste in rooms. If you want two big loungers on a balcony, you're probably looking for a one-bedroom ocean suite with balcony (or whatever they call it now, as it tends to change). It doesn't sound like you want a beachfront jacuzzi suite, although they tend to be the most popular and hence highest price.

There are likely some verandah suites that would meet your needs, but I would very much suggest booking the oceanfront with balcony, as it's far easier to downgrade (as we've done) than vice versa.

When you check in, be vocal and polite. Ask what's available.