Results 1 to 13 of 13

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default time/money comitment to get padi certified

    My wife and I are going to CSS for our honeymoon next month and while there I'd like to get padi certified... however I don't want to spend the entire 7 days away from my wife. Can anyone who has recently done this certification at the resort shed some light on how long it takes to get padi certified and the overall cost of doing this would be?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    anyone?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    We did it in three days at CSA. My husband did it in two but I could not go down the first day because I could not get my ears to clear. It doesn't take all day though. You can take the written test with you so you can do it on the beach with her. Does she not want to try it too? The resort course is free and you start in the pool so she can try it out and if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to go out on the boat or continue on and she won't lose any money.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    We did it in three days at CSA. My husband did it in two but I could not go down the first day because I could not get my ears to clear. It doesn't take all day though. You can take the written test with you so you can do it on the beach with her. Does she not want to try it too? The resort course is free and you start in the pool so she can try it out and if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to go out on the boat or continue on and she won't lose any money.
    how much of each day would you say it took?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    how much of each day would you say it took?
    Only a few of hours. You can still do plenty of other things. You take the test with you so the second day goes faster since you do not have the classroom part of it. It's not an all day thing. We went sometime around 10-11 on the first day and then ate a late lunch when we were finished.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    how much of each day would you say it took?
    I think you'll be done by noon each day. Or really close to this time. I think I am going to do the book work at home and dive there to save some time. I did the resort course in September at CN and had fun.

  7. #7

    Default

    I agree with Colojo.

    Personally, I would recommend finding a reputable dive shop near where he lives and taking the course before you go. This would enable you to learn and practice your skills so when you go to the beautiful warm clear waters of the Caribbean you can dive without sitting in a "classroom" (or beach) and writing a test while on your expensive vacation. You will likely find that the course is more extensive and structured at home; therefore, providing you with more knowledge and experience that will enhance your personal safety and pleasure (relaxation, confidence, comfort) while diving. Having a good relationship with your local dive shop will also be necessary if you plan to dive locally to keep your skills up instead of diving once a year at the various reports you may vacation at. Diving can be a perishable skill. Not all resort dive shops are equal in quality or service as some are very good and some can be quite scary in their practices and equipment.

    The referral that Colojo spoke about is another good way to do it; however, if there are no dive shops in your area your options may be limited. When taking the course at home or the resort, don't skimp on your studies or take short cuts. Like anything, diving comes with risks and your safety or your dive buddy's safety depends on being properly trained and practiced.
    You will find that, unless your wife or travel partners dive, you will be partnered up with people from around the world and they depend on your training and skills and you on theirs.

    Enjoy the course and the diving. Once confident and comfortable, it truly is an awesome and educational experience each time you descend. Its another world down there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruminiscing View Post
    I agree with Colojo.

    Personally, I would recommend finding a reputable dive shop near where he lives and taking the course before you go. This would enable you to learn and practice your skills so when you go to the beautiful warm clear waters of the Caribbean you can dive without sitting in a "classroom" (or beach) and writing a test while on your expensive vacation. You will likely find that the course is more extensive and structured at home; therefore, providing you with more knowledge and experience that will enhance your personal safety and pleasure (relaxation, confidence, comfort) while diving. Having a good relationship with your local dive shop will also be necessary if you plan to dive locally to keep your skills up instead of diving once a year at the various reports you may vacation at. Diving can be a perishable skill. Not all resort dive shops are equal in quality or service as some are very good and some can be quite scary in their practices and equipment.

    The referral that Colojo spoke about is another good way to do it; however, if there are no dive shops in your area your options may be limited. When taking the course at home or the resort, don't skimp on your studies or take short cuts. Like anything, diving comes with risks and your safety or your dive buddy's safety depends on being properly trained and practiced.
    You will find that, unless your wife or travel partners dive, you will be partnered up with people from around the world and they depend on your training and skills and you on theirs.

    Enjoy the course and the diving. Once confident and comfortable, it truly is an awesome and educational experience each time you descend. Its another world down there.
    i checked out two local shops, one I didn't get a good feeling from and the other I missed the class they were running by a day and they won't be running another one before we head to css

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    My husband got his padi certified at CTI, cost him $250, we did the resort certification one day and on our second dive he got his padi cert while I just did my 2nd dive.

    Have your wife do it with you even if it's just the resort certification then you can enjoy your activity and she might get hooked too.

    Our trip was in June 2010

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    thanks for the info everyone. She's going to do the first dive with me and if she likes it she will go on from there. did anyone do the written test before hand and just have to dive at the resort?

  11. #11

    Default

    Ours was 375 at CN, everything included and it took us two days.
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    My husband and I spent a weekend at a dive shop doing all the written work and practicing skills in the pool. It cost us $275 each and they sent us to Jamaica with a "referral." Once there all we had left to do was our open water dives to be PADI certified. We went out with the other divers and had to run through a couple skills and that was it. Finishing in Jamaica cost $175 each (I think). It is more expensive to do it seperate like this, but well worth it in my opinion. Once in Jamaica I did NOT want to spend my vacation watching videos and reading textbooks. The dive team is awesome!! The scuba diving was my favorite part of our trip, and I went every day!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    680

    Default

    The answer to this question depends quite a bit on what PADI cert you are talking about getting. If you mean an actual PADI Open Water Diver certification then I agree that getting all but the final dives done at home is the way to go because of the amount of time it would take out of your vacation. However if you mean the PADI Scuba Diver certification, it takes a lot less time. Scuba Diver only coverws 3 of the 5 of the knowledge sessions, only 3 of the 5 of the pool sessions, and only 2 of the 4 open water training dives. This cert takes a lot less time, but does result in a more limited certification. If your diving is going to be primarily at resorts (like Couples) then Scuba Diver will work fine because all the dives from resorts are group dives with Dive Master escorts. If you want to be able to dive with a buddy anywhere in the world then the Open Water Diver would be a better choice and it is far more time intensive. My nephew and niece both got their Scuba Diver certification at an A-I resort in Jamaica and it was not an undue amount of time for them and they enjoyed it a great deal.
    All the best-
    Roy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •