Default US Passport Cards

Hello,
    I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I renewed my Passport last year (it expired in 3/2010) and instead of receiving a new passport I received a Passport Card along with my old passport which I used when we cruised in November to the Caribbean.

Here is what the US government states the Passport Card is good for:

<<Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.>>

So if I am reading this correctly, my Passport card *should* work fine for Jamaica, correct? I am reading it as saying our US government says it is "NOT valid for air or sea travel OTHER than Canada, Mexico, Caribbean or Bermuda". So if I wanted to go fly to Paris I would need my "regular" passport, but because Jamaica is Caribbean, I should be fine with the PP Card?

Thanks in advance for any input. I am getting conflicting info from the airline, the government and my travel agent and I don't want any surprises at the airport.

Anyone use their valid Passport Card while traveling to/from Jamaica?

Thanks so much!

Problem is that it might get youinto Jamaica, but it won't let you get back! And, because of that, Jamaica might not let you in either.

As you state in your post (which seems to quote the US State Department's website), the card is good at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry. An airport is neither.

Most likely, the airline won't let you board the plane in the first place without a passport, because they'd have to fly you back on their dime if you're denied entry at your destination.

If you're flying in (and back), you need a passport. Period.

The way I understand the passport cards is that they are not good for air travel from anywhere. They are only valid by land or sea and only for Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. I would get a "regular" passport. I wouldn't want any suprises either. Cover your bases and you know you won't have any trouble.
    Have a great trip!!

Not valid for travel by air. Won't work unless you take a boat or drive to Jamaica.

Not unless you are taking a cruise to Jamaica and back. "at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air." Meaning you can use it at land crossings like when you drive to Canada or Mexico and at sea ports like when you take a cruise or boat. It specifically says not valid for travel by air meaning you cannot use it at immigration at the airport. You can use it as a form of ID like to get a beer there or something but that is about it.

You really should call the Passport folks and ask the question. I looked it up on the Dept of State website, but the explanation wasn't as clear as I would have liked.

the way i'm reading this is "if you can get there by car or boat the card works, if you've gota fly you need the PP" But I'm not a lawyer nor do I work for the state department and my advice is worth about what you paid for it and maybe even less

Not valid for international travel by air.

I would get a new regular passport.

Pretty sure you need a regular passport and the passcard will not work.

You can't use a Passport Card unless you are arriving via a cruise ship (which probably means you aren't staying at a Couples resort??). If you are flying, you will need a Passport book.

When renewing, you can select the paper version (which works everywhere) or the card (limited). It looks like you selected the card.

Here's the link that will help withPassport-related questions. http://travel.state.gov/passport/

Note that you can use your new card to apply for a new book. Also, click on Passport Card link and then note the link to the FAQ at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps.

thanks all! I know what to do now.

Default I'm confused

Did you apply for a new passport and they sent the card...or did you have a choice of a new passport or a card? My renewal is coming up and I want to be sure that I get the complete passport and not just the card.

Default Passport Card

Erkia-
    When I applied for my Passport, the lady at the US Post Office said I could NOT use a Passport Card to enter Jamaica. Only Passports would allow me to and from....I hope you still have time! Good luck!!!

peace & LOVE
    Jamie and Craig

Topspin - I applied for the renewal of my passport - it wasn't expired yet but I knew I would need it in the next few months. I did it all online, didn't apply for the PP card, but that is what they sent me. I have copies of the paperwork and everything (and the check cleared for the PP book, which was more than the PP card) After talking to some, I think my situation was a fluke and there was some miscommunication because I had also just gotten married so I had to send in my marriage certificate to change my name. So they sent a PP card with my new name on it.

I got everything sent off today to get the renewal - pic taken at the local CVS pharmacy, documentation that I need for the name change, i's dotted, t's crossed - Just SO happy to get that taken care of so I can focus on daydreaming about our awesome upcoming CSS trip in August. WOO HOO!!

Thanks again for all the helpful info!