Default Golf in Negril ?

Does anyone know how much you end up spending
    to play a round of Golf? How is the course ?
    Thanks Gary

Hi Gozzy,

about $35US per person for 18 holes if you walk.
    $14 to the course for the caddy and a $20 tip to the caddy (about $1 per hole) Some people tip a little more, we did on the second day.

I think a cart is an extra $30, but we walked the course so I'm not sure. Someone else can surely help with that information.

You may also want to tip the shuttle driver after the return trip to the resort. I would guess about $5 would be fair. The shuttle drivers are NOT Couples employees so you can tip them.

The course is okay but hasn't been touched by the "Augusta Effect". It is not as lush as most North American courses. It is hilly and tight in places which adds to the challenge. We enjoyed it and played twice.

To avoid the heat of the day we hired a cab to pick us up at 6:30am, we left the first tee by 7:00am and were back on the beach sipping coffee and nibbling on pastries from breakfast before 10:30. I think the cab cost $30 for the return trip. We grabbed a bagel and coffee from Cassava before we left. The extra cost was worth it to us. Actually, the cost was the same as if we took the shuttle and rented a cart, which we would have done later in the morning when the tempreatures would have been warmer.

Oh, one other tip if you're just going to enjoy a leisurely round when on vacation... consider not keeping score.

ENJOY!!!
    Last edited by Roclin; July 8th, 2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: correct a typo

I was wrong about the price of a cart at Negril Hills. It's $35 per round.

Extracted from the Couples website FAQ page.
    What golf course Couples Resorts have available for its guests? Are there any fees?

At Couples Resorts green fees and transfers are included. The day before, Guest Relations will issue your voucher. Bus departs around 8 am and 1 pm (please reconfirm). Please Note: In Jamaica caddies are mandatory and tipping is customary.

Couples Negril & Couples Swept Away:
    Negril Hills Golf Course
    The 18 hole par 72 course, measuring 6,333 yards, is distinguished by gently undulating fairways, elevated tees and greens, picturesque water hazards and lush tropical vegetation.

-Caddy is mandatory at $14 per caddy for 18 holes; $7 for 9 holes.
    -Carts are optional at $35 per cart for 18 holes; $17.50 for 9 holes.
    -Club Rental: $18 per set (all rentals available in ladies and gents, left & right handed)

ENJOY!!!

My bf and I just got back from CSA two days ago and did venture out to Negril Hills..... Now before I put out my two pennies I need to preface with the following: he is a professional, I work at a Country Club, we play A LOT of golf, are both in decent shape and went in with low expectations....that being said...

~They don't call it Negril HILLS for nothing. My nose bleeds from the quick elevation changes lasted two days (ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it was intense).

~We decided to walk 18, like we typically do at home - big mistake. In retrospect we wish we would have just planned to play 9, as this would have been more than enough.

~We did only bring one set (he just hit my TM Burners as me hitting his clubs would result in catastrophe) but with the hassle of traveling with them we should have just rented as with the conditions of the grass(es) it probably wouldn't have mattered one way or the other.

~Possibly because we never have to pay for golf, it increased our perception of what the value of the experience should be (above our low expectations) but it was probably the low light of our entire trip. We spent $68 total ($20 per caddy tip, $14 per caddy charge) and for us wasn't even a little bit worth it.

~Course lay out was very choppy with absolutely no real flow. The course itself was an amalgam of grasses so fairway/rough didn't matter, all about the same lie. Incredibly tight.

We will FOR SURE be returning to CSA, but the clubs will enjoy a nice vacation at home.....