Hybrid View

Default how many certified copys do you need of birth certificates etc?

hi does anyone know how many copys of documents you need to send over? etc thankyou

I think it's just one copy of your and your hubby to be's birth certificate and passport. At least we've only sent one copy, so I hope that's right!

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you also have to take the originals with you?

And if any of your documentation is not in English, you need to have it translated by a professional (my hubby to be needed this to be done).

When and where are you getting married?

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    . . . . I'm not 100% certain, but I think you also have to take the originals with you? . . . .
    No, you don't need to bring original documents with you to Jamaica. The reason you send in documents ahead of time is so that Couples can obtain a marriage license on your behalf. The marriage license will already have been issued by the government by the time you arrive.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I think it's just one copy of your and your hubby to be's birth certificate and passport. At least we've only sent one copy, so I hope that's right!

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you also have to take the originals with you?

And if any of your documentation is not in English, you need to have it translated by a professional (my hubby to be needed this to be done).

When and where are you getting married?
    Hey Tor--
    Not sure if you will see this, but was wondering about the professional translation of the birth certificate... my fiance's is in spanish and we need to get it translated... how do i go about doing this???

Thanks,
    Sarah

we just sent one of each of the requested documents hope that helps if you have any further questions you might want to contact Debbie Hall she is the couples rep who handles the weddings stateside 1800-268-7537- option 5

thanks gys x just found out its just one copy.
    we are gtting wed in jan 2011 at CN how about you?

This September at CSA - I'm going slightly bridezilla about it all at the moment!!!! So excited and can't wait to be there

Heads up re: certified copies of birth cert's (and divorce papers, as we need these as well). We live in Illinois and Notaries in IL cannot certify copies of originals. Call your bank and ask the notary what your states policy is. If time is on your side, I'd go ahead and order additional certified copies from the county in which you were born to avoid any hassle. (Ours were $9 a piece and should arrive in approx 3-4 wks from the time we ordered them) I am fairly certain you do not get any paperwork you send to Jamaica back. You do not need to bring additional copies with you, although I always travel with a copy of my birth cert in the event I lose my passport. Hope this saves you some time! Congrats on your upcoming wedding. We're counting the days til ours (11-10-10 @ CTI)

Myself and OH have booked our wedding through Thomson (UK) and what we have been advised to do is obtain 2 full birth ceritifactes (we only had the short versions)get them all certified (no need to copy as they are copies from the Registrar anyway) and send one set along with certified copy of passport to resort beforehand. We were also advised in our wedding pack that we also must take another set with us.

Not quite sure if we need to or not as I have heard both but I would rather be safe then sorry IMHO.

We have made our appointment for notary so once doc signed and sent off will let you know if we come across any problems.

This is not the first time I have read about a long version of a birth certificate. I have also read on another forum that some of the Canadian brides have sent the short one that we are all given and it has been fine, but others have sent the long version. Any previous Canadian brides just sent the short version???????

We had to get the long version birth certificates too, and have to take all original documents with us. As I have been divorced, I had to get a deed poll to prove I had legally changed from my divorced name back to my maiden name

Quote Originally Posted by faithburke View Post
    We had to get the long version birth certificates too, and have to take all original documents with us. As I have been divorced, I had to get a deed poll to prove I had legally changed from my divorced name back to my maiden name
    What is a deed poll??????? Are you from Canada or the USA???
    I am from Canada and both myself and FI are divorced.

Deed poll is something you use to change your name in the UK.

K Glaister - thanks for explaining I was thinking I needed another piece of paper to have notarized!