Thread: Theft at CN???

Default Theft at CN???

We are making our first trip to Couples and chose CN. I am an amateur photographer and would love to have at least a base setup with me to take some photos in the early morning and evening but am concerned about how secure my equipment would be in Jamaica/CN. I have taken it with me on a trip to Mexican villa and had no issue but wonder if anyone has had any problem with petty theft either out of the room or on the beach. I know it is a public beach so I would watch it closely there but am concerned as the camera with lens probably will not fit in a room safe (if they have one). I would really hate to be in such a beautiful place with just a point and shoot but that may be the best choice. Any advice or experience you have had would be great. 11 days to go!!!

We have never had a problem leaving our stuff - even on the public beach.

I've taken my digital SLR and lenses and have never had an issue. I wouldn't leave them unattended on the beach but would have no issues leaving them in the room.

I do believe that disassembled you'd be able to keep at least the camera body and lens(es) in the room safe. Assuming you're not carrying anything longer then a 300mm lens anyway.

There are lots of people who go with more than just a point and shoot.

We always travel with our commuters and have never had an issue. Your possessions will be fine.

FYI there are safes in the room.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I am a photographer too and had no problem. The room safes are fairly large. I brought a 4 or 5 lenses with me and they were fine. My husband did lock them up in the safe but I wasn't too worried about it. They all fit pretty well. I did not take my largest lenses but I think they would have fit too. The only time there could have been a problem is when we were waiting for our room to be ready. Our bags were left on the from step by the lobby and the driveway for over 5 hours. I brought my camera bag with me because that made me nervous but still came back to check on the bags fairly often. Once there was a person going through my bags. They said they thought the bag was theirs. There was no way that was true. I don't have the standard black suitcase for this very reason. I know it's mine from a mile away. The employees there said they would watch the bag and to go out into the resort but the bags were there for so long that different employees came and nobody remembered who the bags belonged to anyway.

I think you're pretty safe. I'd be a lot less concerned at a Couples resort than in a Mexican villa. I think the Couples staff are totally trustworthy. However, when the staff make up the room the door will be open, so leaving it out where anyone walking by could sneak in and grab it is a bit of a risk.

Can I make a suggestion? We bought a PacSafe for our cruise for our SLR camera, (and other valuables) so we could take it to the beaches. It's like a wire mesh bag that can't be cut, and has a lock. You can lock it to furniture, beach chairs, trees or whatever. It just gives that extra peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Trob454589 View Post
    We are making our first trip to Couples and chose CN. I am an amateur photographer and would love to have at least a base setup with me to take some photos in the early morning and evening but am concerned about how secure my equipment would be in Jamaica/CN. I have taken it with me on a trip to Mexican villa and had no issue but wonder if anyone has had any problem with petty theft either out of the room or on the beach. I know it is a public beach so I would watch it closely there but am concerned as the camera with lens probably will not fit in a room safe (if they have one). I would really hate to be in such a beautiful place with just a point and shoot but that may be the best choice. Any advice or experience you have had would be great. 11 days to go!!!

....I have read a lot of discussions on this Boards, and have never read anything of thefts in the rooms. But keep in mind the the beach IS public, and I don't think I'd leave anything unattended on the beach.

We've just returned from CN yesterday (our 5th trip) and I really thought about the fact that I never worry about my stuff. We do put valuables in the safe but many times we happen to leave money or other expensive items laying out and we have never, never had a problem.

I've taken my Nikon with me and never had a problem. On the resort we've never had anything taken from the room. The one problem we have had is items taken out of our luggage at the airport after its been checked in when we're departing.

I have a Canon 50D that I just took to CN with me. Your camera is safe in the room. As far as the beach goes, use a little common sense, and you'll have no problems at all, more than likely sand will be your biggest worry!

I never tried to put mine in the room safe, but if you have a standard DSLR, I'm not sure it will fit.

Your camera will fit in the room safe. I took my Canon 40D last year and it was fine. You may need to take the lens off, but no big deal. Have a great time! Will be at CTI in 68 days!

Default No worries

Time to get excited! We just returned from our honeymoon trip to CN and Wow! What a great place. We used the small room safe for our laptop and passports but I regularly forgot to lock up valuables such as my watch, one day even left my wallet out. All the staff are very courteous and respectful of your privacy. We left cameras and personal items in a beach bag next to our chairs frequently and never had a problem. Other guests were doing the same.
    It is an amazingly beautiful place. Take the good camera and enjoy!

I'm a photographer as well, and took 2 lenses, my Canon 5D markII, and my Canon G10 point and shoot with me to CN. All of my equipment fit into the room safe, and I felt completely comfortable walking around with my equipment...granted I kept a close eye on it when I was on the beach. Jamaica is too beautiful not to take your camera/lenses. There are so many amazing lines, colours, people, and views to capture, and I treasure every picture I took as a reminder of our amazing vacation.

Not sure how big of a camera & lens you're talking about but unless it's REALLY large like they use on the sidelines at NFL games, I would think it would fit in the safe in your room. I used to take a pretty giant zoom lens with me when we went & it fit in the room safe just fine with my camera & other stuff. I don't bother any more & a my point & shoot camera does a great job for what I want to do. We've NEVER had a problem with any theft of any kind from the beach, pool, room, room safe, or anywhere while at CN, CSA, or CSS. It can & does happen, I'm sure, though ....... You just have to be careful ... like anywhere else.
    Julie

Default no worries

We go to CN to scuba dive. We have two very nice dive cameras. We have locked them in the safe with no trouble. We have lens and gear out in a bag and it has never ever been disturbed. Take your camera and really enjoy yourself!

You'll want to keep an eye on it at the beach and other areas outside of your room. Just use basic judgement on that. Will it be gone if you turn your back for a few seconds, probably not.

The rooms have pretty nice safes but I don't know if they would be big enough for all of your equipment.

Overall, CN is pretty safe and secure.

We have never had any problems with items in the room, but we also have put our real valuable items in the room safe.

However, don't let the surroundings and atmosphere fool you. It would be really naive to believe that the other guests and employees are all your friends. Leaving items unattended can be a temptation that some people cannot resist. I have seen it happen to others as well as experienced it myself first-hand when my camera was stolen from the spa area at CTI.

These are the dimensions, in inches, of the safes at CN :

12.5 deep inside
    5.25 high inside
    16.5 wide inside, but the safe door limits it to 12.5 wide entry

We have been going to Couples for the past 11 years and have never had a problem with theft. We do put our money, jewlery and passports in the safe; however, we always leave our laptops, phones, ipods, cameras, and staff gifts out on the tables and on the beach. The staff is wonderful and woudl never jeapordize their job.

This past time at CN was the first time I heard of a theft. Supposedly, a lady left her cell phone and camera by the pool bar and it disappeared. Not sure if she possibly misplaced it or if someone took it - but as mentioned in other posts you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Enjoy!
    Dorothy & James - Delaware

We will be at CN in just 16 lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng days, not that I am counting or anything. This will be our 6th trip and we have never, never had a problem. In fact there was one trip where I forgot to pick up my sandals off the beach and they were right there the next day. I leave my beach bag next to our chair, when I go to get food, use the bathroom, walk the beach, etc and have never had a problem. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    Not sure how big of a camera & lens you're talking about but unless it's REALLY large like they use on the sidelines at NFL games, I would think it would fit in the safe in your room. I used to take a pretty giant zoom lens with me when we went & it fit in the room safe just fine with my camera & other stuff. I don't bother any more & a my point & shoot camera does a great job for what I want to do. We've NEVER had a problem with any theft of any kind from the beach, pool, room, room safe, or anywhere while at CN, CSA, or CSS. It can & does happen, I'm sure, though ....... You just have to be careful ... like anywhere else.
    lol I like that. I am going to call all by big white lenses NFL lenses now. Some of the NFL lenses fit in there. I didn't bring the really big ones but a 70-200 2.8 will fit.

We put most things away in bags or in the safe when we were out. I didn't feel right leaving it out, it just seemed sort of rude. I didn't think they were going to take anything but I felt like it would be mean to leave a temptation. Everyone gets tempted and it's a depressing feeling sometimes. Those ladies were working really hard in some nasty heat. I don't really know how to explain it. It felt like I was bragging somehow or flaunting the nice things we have. It didn't seem fair. For all I know the person cleaning up was in a really tough financial situation or needed money to help a sick relative or something. It would really suck to be worried about what you were going to do while cleaning up after people on vacation and looking at the expensive stuff they just leave lying around.