Hybrid View

Default Flower indentification

In 2008, we saw some flowers at CSA that we just fell in love with but forgot to ask what they were before we left, and the greenhouses in Indiana have NO IDEA what they are (haha). Can someone help us identify them so that we may try to order one for our house so we can have a little bit of heaven in our house in between trip to paradise???? please???
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I don't know exactly what they are but when they are open they remind me of a Hibiscus which is a very topical flower. We buy a couple of Hibiscus every summer for our deck because they remind us of the islands. If you can't find out what that flower is try the Hibiscus. We love them and they come in different colors.
    Good luck.

The flower is from the Poinciana tree, truly stunning when in full bloom, as it is now in the summer months. There are places in different parishes where the trees line the roads on both sides and it's like driving through a tunnel of red and orange stained glass when you look up. The yellow flowering Poinciana is more rare and stands out even more when you can catch a glimpse of one.

The trees are pretty much finished as far as blooming goes by the time fall rolls around. Even in late August they blooms become less lush...During the fall you'll notice these big lacy trees all have
    l-- o--n--g green seed pods hanging down like Christmas ornaments. If a seed pod can be chopped down by an agile tree climber, young kids like to whallop each other with them, or play "sword fight". When the pods age a dry (they turn dark brown in color) they can be shaken and the seeds inside rattle so that you've now a natural maracca instrument. Once split open, the pod yields a flat, brownish seed that is used to make bracelets you may see sold by beach vendors here and there.

Here is a link that will take you to pages of flower shots and some trees in full bloom:
    http://www.google.com.jm/images?hl=e...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Oooops, sorry...forgot to add that the tree was originally brought here to Jamaica from Madagascar, and the botanical name is, I believe,

I've also heard some people call this tree the Royal Poinciana as opposed to the dwarf version. Some people call the tree a Flame Tree. Maybe this will help your greenhouse people a bit to locate something that they'd have access too...or, if the winters are too cold where you live and the tree would not make it outside or in a pot indoors, they could come up with something similar that would be more cold tolerant.