Default 3-day requirement?

New to Couples MB and resorts, and I have to say this MB is one of the most useful I've seen! Thanks to all the veterans for your very helpful information! I'm planning to get married in September at CSS and transfer to CTI for honeymoon. But I've been looking for specific information about the requirement that you arrive 3 days prior to your wedding date...Is this a legal requirement? From all material that I've come across, the 3 days sounds like a prep requirement for the resort to get your preferences for your wedding. I would like to arrive on Wednesday and marry on Friday, as my finances won't allow for extra days "just because". Is Couples stringent about this "rule"? Any info is appreciated.
    Last edited by teezebaby; July 16th, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Wrong board, can I delete this?

We are getting married in 2 weeks at CN and I do believe they require you to be there 48 hours before your wedding. We are arriving on a tuesday and getting married friday because it worked better for us, but they did tell us just 48 hours.

I *think* it is a legal residency requirement. I know that the 3 day rule is the same across the whole of Jamaica, so that suggests to me that it is a legal rule.

We're getting married at CSA - arriving on the Tuesday and getting married on the Friday to maximise the time we have there after getting married. I figure the three days can be used to get a bit of a tan for the wedding pics

I have to agree with you about this MB - it's an amazing resource, although I am slightly addicted to it!

I don't think this is a Couples requirement. In checking all over the Caribbean, each island's government has its own rules and regulations regarding "residency" prior to marriage.

Unless things have changed since last August, it is "48 hours". I got married at CSS last August. We arrived in Jamaica late in the day on a Saturday and got married Monday morning. No problem mon!! You will love CSS- it is a beautiful resort for a wedding.

I thought it was a legal requirement but I am not 100% sure. I would email the wedding coordinator, she would know for sure.

Default residency requirement

There is a two day residency requirement to get married in Jamaica (or at least there was one last year when I got married there). It is a legal issue so you have to wait. It has nothing to do with the resort.

My husband and I were married in Jamaica 6 years ago. Back then it was 48 hours you had to be on the island before you could be married. It is a requirement of the country for your marriage license and not just the resorts policy, it may have changed since then to 3 days but at least then I know it was only 2. I hope this helps.

Default 48 hours

I think it's actually 48 hours. We arrived last year on a Monday and were married the same Wednesday. Our wedding was on the beach at Couples Negril. Giselle our wedding coordinator was great!
    We're heading back again for our first anniversary thus year in October. We absolutely love it.
    Congratulations.
    Happy
    Coonie & Happy

the requirement is 48 hours to establish "residency" on the island. I arrived on a Monday afternoon and was married Wednesday evening.

hi there,
    please forgive me if this information is no longer accurate--it has been 3 years since i've planned my destination wedding. from what i remember, the time requirement was a government dictated requirement, nothing to do with the resorts. if you want to be legally married in Jamaica, you must arrive 3 days prior to the wedding. in Mexico, for example, there was an additional requirement to get a blood test performed by local authorities. we got married in the Dominican Republic, where the 3 day rule also applied. we 'got around it' by actually getting officially married in the states, then booking a 'vow renewal' instead of wedding package. we brought a friend to do the vows, since legality didn't matter to us, but if the resort had to provide an officiant, the 3 day rule wouldn't apply. it worked out well.

good luck with your wedding! Caribbean weddings are unforgettable and THE way to go!

The residency requirement to marry in Jamaica is 24 hours. The resorts require additional time so that the wedding coordinators have ample time to go over the details with guests before the wedding and to make preparations. That is, the "48-hour rule" is resort policy and not codified law.

In the past, Couples has required your wedding to be scheduled no earlier than two days after your arrival (the 48-hour rule), but I notice that the wedding FAQs now say three days. According to anecdotal evidence on the MB, however, the 48-hour policy is still in force. Because the 48-hour policy is not a legal requirement, it's not rigidly enforced. For example, if you arrived on Monday at 5 p.m., the resort would still permit your wedding to be scheduled for Wednesday at 11 a.m.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Default RE:

Thanks everyone and thanks Pamela. From researching online, I gathered that the island residency requirement was 24 hours by law, so good to clear that up...So the extra days are just resort requirements. I will probably arrive 48 hrs early, but I just can't swing the additional day, especially if it's not legally required.

I thought it was 48 hours when we did a renewal in April but it says on the website here that it is 72. We did all the planning right away and that didn't take long so I doubt the resort is making you do it to give enough time to plan or something like that. Perhaps the laws have changed.

If at all in doubt, just call the resort directly (not the 800 number). I'm sure they'll be glad to verify. When we were married, I believe we arrived on Thursday noon-ish and were married Saturday morning (but don't hold me to that because there's a slight chance we arrived on Wednesday).

Default 48hrs for us....

We are getting married on Wednesday, December 1st, and I verified with the stateside wedding coordinator that our arrival on Monday gave us enough time for their 48hr rule. If they changed it to 3 days, it is a recent change. There is a 3-night minimum to stay at any of the resorts. We are also getting married at CSS for a total of 4 nights, then going to CTI for 3 nights for our honeymoon, can't wait!
    Good luck and Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by cwbykitty View Post
    We are getting married on Wednesday, December 1st, and I verified with the stateside wedding coordinator that our arrival on Monday gave us enough time for their 48hr rule. If they changed it to 3 days, it is a recent change. There is a 3-night minimum to stay at any of the resorts. We are also getting married at CSS for a total of 4 nights, then going to CTI for 3 nights for our honeymoon, can't wait!
    Good luck and Congrats!
    Hi cwbykitty! We are trying to plan a trip similar to yours! We want to marry at CSS and transfer to CTI. We want to arrive on Sept 15, marry on the 17th or 18th, and transfer to CTI for the 19th-23rd. Repeater? Did you use a TA or book it yourself? Any helpful info?

Thanks,
    Shannon

In April we got to CSA on 4/20 and did our renewal on 4/22. I wonder if it's only 48 hours for a renewal or if it changed.

Default Try to help....

Quote Originally Posted by teezebaby View Post
    Hi cwbykitty! We are trying to plan a trip similar to yours! We want to marry at CSS and transfer to CTI. We want to arrive on Sept 15, marry on the 17th or 18th, and transfer to CTI for the 19th-23rd. Repeater? Did you use a TA or book it yourself? Any helpful info?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Shannon,
    This will be our first time to Couples. We were actually booked at another resort for our wedding and a total of 7-night stay. But I was feeling uneasy about the place and started researching resorts in Jamaica, so we could keep the same flights and not lose our insurance. My Aunt is my travel agent. I found the Couples resorts and was happy with the great reviews. I was having a hard time deciding between CSS and CTI. The rule when I booked was 48hrs in Jamaica, I see it now states 3 days. We kept our flights the same and our TA switched us to CSS for the first 4 nights (Mon-Fri), getting married on our 3rd day there at 4pm. Another day there, then switch to CTI on Friday for 3 more nights for our "honeymoon". I'm not sure yet how we will get from one to another, but they are close to each other. Talk with Debbie, the stateside wedding planner with any questions, she is helpful and quick to respond. Hope this helped a little. I would definately book through Couples or a TA over an online site, to make any prefernces or changes easier to handle.
    Congrats!!!