Default Should we bring laptop

Hello couples, as we all know the cell rates are crazy when you leave the U.S. so I will most likely try to communicate through good ole internet. Lol, so should we bring our laptop or does CTI have internet service??

We just got back from CN. We did bring our laptop to communicate with our kids. They did have an internet cafe, but it was nice to have our own computer.

Quote Originally Posted by engagedluv View Post
    Hello couples, as we all know the cell rates are crazy when you leave the U.S. so I will most likely try to communicate through good ole internet. Lol, so should we bring our laptop or does CTI have internet service??
    We just returned from CTI last Saturday and the Internet Cafe is fine. I think there are 8 computers and you can print if needed. We were able to get our boarding passes. It was never full even on rainy days. It is in building 2, on the lower level near the Pool Grill by the Main Pool. Have fun! I wish we were there right now.
    Vicky

I would bring a laptop. The computers in the resorts computer area were too slow for me. we had a very good wireless connection from our balcony!

All of the Couples resorts have computer rooms with free use of the internet, plus they have complimentary WiFi, so the laptop is your choice, but we enjoy bringing ours and using it in the room.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Default laptop

We were there the first week of July. We took our laptop and got excellent wi-fi in our room. we were on the first floor in building 5. We were unable to make phone calls out on our iPhones but could receive them. $1 a min. back to the states through the hotel.

Default Laptops at a Couples Resort hmmmmm

Guess your idea of a couples vacation and mine are different. We used resort computers for one thing, print our boarding passes. Cell service with international calling is not expensive, especially if you just text. Go spend more time with your SO.

There's also the local calling card, "Jus'Talk," that you can get in the resort gift shops (ask for them, they're not at all of the shops, and often are an "under the counter" item).

I think about $5 USD gets about 30 minutes of calling back to the US (I can't speak for other countries). The resort will charge a $1 fee each time you have them call using the card, but if you need to make multiple calls at once, there's a way to do that so it's still one "connection." We had to do that last year (wife was in the middle of a job search, and the calls paid off!), and that was the most effective way for us to do it.

We brought our laptop and webcam to CSS so we could Skype with our four young kiddos each night before they went to bed. The reception was good when it was up...there were some outages the first few days. It was great for them to be able to see us and visit, and it was free. We did have a "no work" rule though....strictly for kiddo communication.

We invested in a netbook and it was very handy. phone calls can be expensive. it was a convenient way to communicate with our family. We'll be bringing it with us again in February when we return home.

I have a question about the computer thing, where do you put your laptop when you leave the room, my laptop is 17inches, so I thought it would be to large to fit in the safe.

No need, there are plenty of computers at the resort. Slightly slower, but better than lugging a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzie View Post
    I have a question about the computer thing, where do you put your laptop when you leave the room, my laptop is 17inches, so I thought it would be to large to fit in the safe.
    I have the same issue - anyone know where to put your laptop while your out of the room??? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lmctravel View Post
    I have the same issue - anyone know where to put your laptop while your out of the room??? Thanks.
    We bring netbooks now, so they fit in the safe, however prior to bringing our netbooks, we brought our big-a** 17" notebook computers which would in NO WAY fit in the safe. Not that I ever felt we NEEDED them, but we also purchased a couple of notebook computer locks -- basically a metal loop cord that attaches to your computer and has either a combo lock (ours) or a key lock (something else to lose.) We locked them to the "sofa" in our room, and left them out. As a side note: i use the notebook lock in EVERY hotel where we travel.... not just Couples, so it's been a very good $30 investment for us.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

We have brought our laptop to CSA to be able to Skype with the kids at home.
    We haven't had a problem, but we only used it in the room, and we were in the Great House, so I don't know if they have better wireless coverage?
    Cheers,
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by lmctravel View Post
    If you decide to take your laptop...not needed at all, you can leave it in your room with no problem. I have left things out with no issue. But if you feel that you need to secure it and it doesn't fit in the safe than you can get a lock for your suitcase and put it there...no problem.

Home, thats where I left mine, internet cafe was fine, I do not plan on alot of web surfing on my vacation, so aside from a few e mails and checking in for my flight cafe was perfect. Turned off my cell, no laptop, never turned on the TV,no wrist watch ahhh it was heavenly fantastc.

You can put it in your suitcase and use your TSA locks to lock the suitcase.

CTI has a computer room. I used it to print our boarding passes on our last night there.

Using US Plans abroad is expensive. Using local plans abroad is reasonable. If you think that you will be making a lot of calls, you can either buy a cheap phone and SIM card there, or take an (unlocked) GSM phone with you and purchase a SIM card in Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckandgail View Post
    If you decide to take your laptop...not needed at all, you can leave it in your room with no problem. I have left things out with no issue. But if you feel that you need to secure it and it doesn't fit in the safe than you can get a lock for your suitcase and put it there...no problem.
    Great suggestion! Thats what we'll do!