Default Legally married before going to Jamaica?

Is anyone going to the courthouse and "legally" getting married before Jamaica? I know the marriage is legal, but the whole waiting months before have the original certificate and being in this weird limbo of being married but can't change anything here in the states until I get the original certificate/license is stressing me out. Input?

Default I think...

that if you get married before going to Jamaica, you can not have the wedding ceremony, but would need to do the vow renewal. I had asked at the previous resort we were going to use, but I would confirm with the Couples Stateside planner.

I understand you're reasoning, as I will be anxious to switch everything to my new name too

Quote Originally Posted by SoonToBeMrs! View Post
    Is anyone going to the courthouse and "legally" getting married before Jamaica? I know the marriage is legal, but the whole waiting months before have the original certificate and being in this weird limbo of being married but can't change anything here in the states until I get the original certificate/license is stressing me out. Input?
    We were able to change everything with the copy we got at the ceremony. The bank was more hesitant than the dang SS office.

Just as the U.S. recognizes as legal marriages performed in Jamaica, Jamaica recognizes as legal marriages performed in the U.S. Therefore, if you're already legally married in the U.S., you can't legally marry in Jamaica.

It sounds as if you're considering perpetrating a fraud by misrepresenting your marital status to obtain a marriage license in Jamaica and to induce a minister to perform a "marriage" ceremony, but a marriage resulting from a fraud is void, so why bother? Marry in the U.S., or marry in Jamaica. You can't legally marry in both.

While some women have reported problems changing their names with the temporary certificate, others have had no problem. If you have a problem at one DMV office, try another one the next day. Play dumb ("this is all that they gave me") and be really nice (use tears if necessary).

My husband and I married in the U.S. 23 years ago; I didn't change my name with the social security office for more than a year after we married. It wasn't a big deal.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I'm worried about that also. I would like to change everything over to my name and do not want any problems. Is the document they issue not enough??? Need to know soon!!

Pamela - I didn't realize that! Thank you for pointing that out. I wasn't aware that there were women who made out ok with the temporary copy, I feel a lot better knowing that. I guess my fear is to have my married name on one document and then my maiden on another (like my driver's license) and then there be an issue with that.

Default weddings

I am so glad you guys asked the question...I am also getting married at couples and was wondering the exact same thing.

You could get married in the US and then do a vow renewal in Jamaica instead of the wedding there.

If you do get married in the US make sure you do it early enough to get your passport changed or you might create a whole lot of new problems.

Lots of couples who plan to get married in Mexico, Cuba or the DR get legally married before they head there for their "real" wedding. This is mainly to avoid all the paperwork, language translations and blood work in Mexico. But as was mentioned, then this is legally considered a vow renewal in that country, not really a wedding.
    Jamaica has such easy regulations it's nice and simple to just get married in Jamaica. Sure the name change thing is a bit of a hassle, but you'll have it no matter where you get married, and you want enough time so that you'name isn't differnt on different documents. Make sure what ever you do that you book flights in the name on your passport when you go!
    So why not have that wonderful certificate that says you were married in Jamaica. I love our certificate. It's quite pretty and I've contemplated framing it even. lol.
    I was a lucky one who was able to use my temporary certificate to change my driver's license. I just played dumb and didn't mention it was a temporary one. Once I had that the rest was easy. I should mention I'm Canadian, but I know some Canadian brides who've had to wait for the real certificate.