Hybrid View

Default iPhone use at CTI?

I was wondering if any fellow iPhone users could answer some questions for me...
    - We have just the normal nationwide calling plan with data for AT&T. Is there an extra charge to use the phone feature in Jamaica? Is there an extra charge for using the data plan in Jamaica?
    - Is there wireless at CTI that you can tap into?

Thanks!

The phone will work, but you need to have international roaming for Jamaica turned on. It is not cheap to use the phone, $1.99 per minute. The wireless will work at no cost in the lobby and just outside on the ocean side. Works very good.

Roaming:
    Calls Placed/Received
    While in Jamaica
    AT&T Standard International Roaming $1.99

Data Usage: All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB,

Text, Picture and
    Video Messages:
    Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent
    Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent

I used my iPhone when we were at CSA in April. I called AT&T on my way to the airport to see if there was anything special I needed to do in order to use my phone and there wasn't.

For me, to receive calls and texts it was free, just like my regular plan. To send texts or make calls, there was an international rate, but it was so minimal I didn't notice it when my bill arrived. Though in fairness, I didn't make many calls and instead had people back home call me.

However, what can be VERY expensive, is the 3G network roaming. You need to turn OFF the following on your iPhone and just use it as a phone. In general settings, turn off Location Services, Disable 3G, Data Roaming and Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Default Try Skype

We just got back from CTI and I would highly recommend trying Skype on your iPhone.
    It's a free download and it only costs 2.1 cents per minute to call to the US.
    You will need to setup a Skype account and add $5 or $10 to your account. We were there a week and didn't even spend a total of $3.

The only caveat is that Skype only works with wifi so you will have to make calls from the CTI lobby or out on the patio near the lobby.

Good luck,
    Token

Why turn off Wi-Fi? It is free, and does not having anything to do with AT&T. It is used to check email, facebook, and other internet items.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1963 View Post
    Why turn off Wi-Fi? It is free, and does not having anything to do with AT&T. It is used to check email, facebook, and other internet items.
    You don't have to turn it off, but have to be careful when roaming and looking for a wireless connection. The roaming can add up and if the 3G network isn't disabled, you'll get charged for it too.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Your data plan will not work in Jamaica. You will be charged $19.95 per MB of data downloaded. I suggest using the free Internet Couples provides.
    Glenna Hailey
    Jerry Hailey
    Couples Certified and Preferred agency!
    Life's to short to spend it on the couch, find a beach and watch the sunset.

Thanks for all of the great info!