Default Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program

Want to avoid waiting in line at U.S. Customs and Immigration when you return to the U.S.? Worried that you might miss your connecting flight if the line is too long? Sign up for U.S. Customs and Border Protectionís Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program (www.globalentry.gov). You start by filling out an application on-line and paying a $100 fee. When your application is approved, you schedule an interview at CBP and bring with you identification, proof of citizenship, and proof of current residence (I took my passport, driverís license, and birth certificate). After your documents are verified, you are photographed and fingerprinted, and your passport is activated in the Global Entry system.

When you return to the U.S., instead of getting in line at immigration, you simply proceed to the Global Entry kiosk, scan your passport, and place your fingers on the scanner for identity verification. Then you answer the questions on the computer screen that generally appear on the customs & immigration form (which means that you donít have to fill out that form on the plane), receive a receipt, and head for the customs desk near the exit. Thatís it. You can completely avoid the long lines.

If you are traveling with a group and the other people in your group are not members of the Global Entry program, your entire group will be granted head-of-the-line privileges. Youíll have to go with them instead of using the kiosks, but no one in your group will have to wait in line.

We filled out our application last weekend and had our interviews, photos, and fingerprinting at CBP at JFK this morning. Our application was formally approved, so next month when we return home from CN, we can just shoot past everyone else and get home more quickly to Dasher and Rudy!

While you'll still have to fill out the form and stand in the line at Jamaican Immigration, the long-term plan is that other countries will join the program and that you can be verified by other countries of your choosing as well. Our hope is that Jamaica gets on board soon so that we can avoid the long lines when we arrive in Jamaica as well.
    Last edited by Pamela; August 15th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Thanks for the 'heads up'. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Does this also get you through the security lines faster?
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Sounds good. We may look into this.

Though I wonder how long it will be before the kiosk line becomes "the long line"?
    I'm just sayin'.

We were soooo excited when we heard about this several months ago. But, then realized that Charlotte (NC) wasn't part of the program. We fly through Philly & Atlanta occasionally, but almost always through CLT. We're hoping that it's so successful in the existing airports that they will include CLT in the near future. The other obstacle is that you have to get to one of the approved CBP offices that can do the interviews (which, if you don't live in one of the "hub" cities, can be quite a journey).

For your interview, did they really "interview" you (w/ lots of questions), or do they just verify all of your documents, etc... ??

Thanks !!
    Jackie

Wow cool! Do you need to travel internationally often to get in this program? We only go once a year or so...???

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    Wow cool! Do you need to travel internationally often to get in this program? We only go once a year or so...???
    No, you don't need to travel internationally often. You just have to be willing to pay the fee and go through the application process.
    Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by JackieMRP View Post
    For your interview, did they really "interview" you (w/ lots of questions), or do they just verify all of your documents, etc... ??
    While the web site says you go in for an interview, our "interviews" were basically document verification, fingerprinting, and photo taking, all of which is done right at the agents' respective computers. CBP does a background check after you submit your application, so the agents know that you're "clean" when you show up for your interview (b/c you wouldn't have been conditionally approved if there was anything suspicious in your background check).

The CBP agent who processed my husband was a bit more formal and did ask him some questions, but the CBP agent who processed me just chatted with me about vacation spots, lost luggage, travel experiences, etc.

After they verify your documents, take your picture, and scan your fingerprints, they activate your passport and show you how to use the kiosk. The agent who processed me said that CBP has really been trying to push this program and recently asked airlines to send out a mass email to their frequent fliers encouraging them to sign up for it (that's how we heard about it). Because CBP wants people to sign up for it, the experience is not adversarial at all. All of the agents we met on Saturday were very pleasant. The worst part of the experience was getting caught in a traffic jam on the way home from JFK, so it took us almost two hours to get home.
    Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful idea. Does this also get you through the security lines faster?
    Sadly, no. TSA is separate from Customs and Border Protection.
    Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    While the web site says you go in for an interview, our "interviews" were basically document verification, fingerprinting, and photo taking, all of which is done right at the agents' respective computers. CBP does a background check after you submit your application, so the agents know that you're "clean" when you show up for your interview (b/c you wouldn't have been conditionally approved if there was anything suspicious in your background check).

The CBP agent who processed my husband was a bit more formal and did ask him some questions, but the CBP agent who processed me just chatted with me about vacation spots, lost luggage, travel experiences, etc.

After they verify your documents, take your picture, and scan your fingerprints, they activate your passport and show you how to use the kiosk. The agent who processed me said that CBP has really been trying to push this program and recently asked airlines to send out a mass email to their frequent fliers encouraging them to sign up for it (that's how we heard about it). Because CBP wants people to sign up for it, the experience is not adversarial at all. All of the agents we met on Saturday were very pleasant. The worst part of the experience was getting caught in a traffic jam on the way home from JFK, so it took us almost two hours to get home.

Thanks a lot, Pamela !!

Jackie

Thanks for the info, Pamela. Is the $100 fee a one-time fee, or do you need to renew every year or when you get a new passport? Do husband and wife pay just $100, or is it $100 per person?

There are only a few U.S. airports as of this time that have agreed to participate in the program. A casual overseas traveler might not find the process worth the application process, especially if their airport (or primary connecting airport) is not participating. However, many business travelers are enthusiastic about the system, which has been in the works for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    Thanks for the info, Pamela. Is the $100 fee a one-time fee, or do you need to renew every year or when you get a new passport? Do husband and wife pay just $100, or is it $100 per person?
    There is a $100 application fee for each PERSON who seeks membership in the program, and membership is valid for five years. I have no information on the renewal process.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents are eligible for Global Entry provided that they:

-Have never been convicted of a criminal offense in any country;

-Have never been found in violation of customs, immigration, or agricultural laws;*

-Do not provide false information or incomplete information in their application; and

-Are not the subject of an investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency.

*CBP has a no-tolerance policy; if you are found in violation of these laws in entering the U.S. (you can still be subject to the random searches), your Global Entry membership will be revoked.

Bob and Judy are correct; the program is not available at every U.S. international airport at this time. According to CBP, the automated kiosks are available at most major U.S. airports; those include:

Boston - Logan International Airport (BOS)

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)

Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)

Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)

Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)

George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)

Hartsfield - Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)

Honolulu International Airport (HNL)

John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas (LAS)

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

Miami International Airport (MIA)

Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)

Orlando International Airport (MCO)

Orlando - Sanford International Airport (SFB)

Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)

San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

San Juan Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU)

Seattle - Tacoma International Airport Sea-Tac (SEA)

Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)

Pamela