Default can someone help us out, we have a tipping question

We are heading to CSA for our honeymoon next month and we are trying to figure out how much money we will need to have on us to tip baggage handlers etc. I know that tipping at the resort is not allowed, but we don't want to hand someone a $10 if a $5 works. Ya know what I mean :-) Any suggestions are a wonderful blessing. Thanks

Keith and Nichole

Tip the same way you would in the U.S.

We typically tip a little over $1 per bag, and then tip the bus driver between $10 and $20 depending. Although, once, we had a driver who did not speak to us the entire trip and spent the majority of the ride talking on his cell phone, while playing a Jamaican religious radio station. (That was actually somewhat interesting. ) We only tipped him $5 for the ride.

If you are having spa treatments, you can tip the spa attendants as well. We typically tip $10 per treatment at the spa.

Have a fabulous trip!!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

$1 per bag for the luggage porter who takes your bag to the shuttle

$5 - $10 for the shuttle driver (Depends on how informative he is and how safe his driving is.)

$5 - $10 per massage for the masseuse (depends on the massage)

If you take any off-site excursions you will need to tip the driver $5 - $10 per person.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We give $5.00 to the handlers who put the bags on the bus, $5 to the bus driver. On our return to the airport we give the bus driver $10 as he handles the bags, and $5 to the baggage handler who brings our bags to the checkin, we usually only have two checked bags and one carry on that we always keep with us.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganwoman98 View Post
    We are heading to CSA for our honeymoon next month and we are trying to figure out how much money we will need to have on us to tip baggage handlers etc. I know that tipping at the resort is not allowed, but we don't want to hand someone a $10 if a $5 works. Ya know what I mean :-) Any suggestions are a wonderful blessing. Thanks

Keith and Nichole
    Congrats on your honeymoon, you have picked one of the four most romantic places on earth that you could ever begin your new life..

The amount you tip should be what you feel good about and Couples Staff(as you mentioned) are not tipped, including the Couples Lounge staff at the airport.

Tipping is usuaully done for:

Airport bag porters $1 per bag.

The shuttle driver to and from resort $5 or $10 per couple.
    Last trip for us most people didn't tip the driver. They seemed to run with their luggage at the airport and left him standing.

Spa attendants we planned on $5 each, for the massage, but I guess we got real relaxed and bumped it to $10 each. Not sure this is the right amount but it was what we felt comfortable with..

Do mention staff by name in your comment card as you leave if you had good service or a memorable encounter. The comments are used to evaluate and promote staff.

Enjoy Couples, once you are there the wallet stays in the safe.

IMO, the amount depends on the service rendered and your generosity. You are expected to tip the airport guys (who are not Couples employees) who load your bags onto the bus. We have 2 carry-ons total and usually tip $5-$10. If we brought huge suitcases as well as carry-ons, we would likely tip more. Remember, these people can really use the extra couple of dollars.

For spa services, I tip 15%-20% of the value of the service, depending on the quality of the service. Tips aren't required but I do it in the US, so whey shouldn't I do it in Jamaica?

However, as always, it's your call.

Here's my policy:

Baggage handler at the airport: $5 or a couple bucks per bag.
    Bus driver to/from the resort: $10 minimum, if he has been particularly entertaining, friendly or efficient $15-20.
    Catamaran cruise: I drop at least $10 in the tip jar, usually $20 though.

We haven't traveled off site or done any additional activities such as jet ski or parasail, but I understand you should tip those guys on top of the price of the activity as well.

Watch for more advice in your thread.

Congratulations and have a great trip! You will love CSA!

We do a buck a bag at the airport.As for the driver to and from the resort, 10 dollars pp per trip as they have our lives in their hands.With the crazy drivers over there,I think that is fair as it takes 1-2 hours to get to the resort depending on which one.We take some small bills for the Cat/booze cruise as they are not Couples employees,maybe 5pp as they serve Red Stripe and rum punches and it is usually the highlight of our trip. I hope that helps!

We hand the bag handlers a 5 or a 10 depending on what's in our pockets.
    $5 will be fine and there really is absolutely NO tipping at the resort. The first time we went, I couldn't believe it. It is so nice not to have to worry about how much to tip.You really don't need a lot of cash. ENJOY!!!

baggage handlers at the airport are $2/bag. The van driver - your discretion, but we usually tip $20 for the 2 of us. If you use the Spa, tip what you'd tip in the US - we usually go with 20% of the fee for service, more if you're delighted, less if not....As far as off-resort excursions go, probably 15-20%....check what the terms of the tour are - you may find that the tip is included....Enjoy!!

We tipped the driver 10.00 each way..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

$1-$2 per bag and $3-$5 for the driver one way. If you plan to do nothing outside the resort, then that's all you'll really need.

For spa services, we tip 20% - 25% of the cost of the service. Although we receive a free 25-minute couples massage, we increase to 50 minutes and then tip on the basis of the cost of a 50-minute couples massage. I always consult the spa menu when I visit the spa to schedule our appointment to verify costs and ensure that we bring a sufficient tip amount with us. For example, the on-line spa menu indicates that the cost for a 50-minute couples massage is $210 per couple. We would tip a total of $50, which is $25 per massage therapist.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Thanks for all these responses. What is an appropriate tip for the divers at Rick's?

I hate all this talk about expected to tip this amount and that amount, you are not expected to tip anything, Don't get me wrong I tip for service ,not because I'm expected too,but because I want to.
    Tip what you think is good or what you can afford to.

If you do not want to tip at the A/P just take your bags,It's like 100 ft from custom to the lounge, and 200 Feet from the Couples lounge to the van .

It's always up to you how much .

Molly, I carried (rolled) my bags from the airport to the van and the same on the way back. I somewhat felt bad, but I also thought that it wasn't that hard work either for myself to do it. I also rolled my luggage to our room. I thought, give this guy a break and he can jsut talk and walk and not lug my luggage around. I'm not helpless. I think our group tipped the driver $10.00 per person. I gave him a $20.00 on the way back since he stopped so I could use the restroom. No one else said anything and when I got off, the whole van got off and went.

This may sound awful.. and cheap... but if I had a driver who didnt say a word and used his cell phone the entire way (which is very unsafe in my opinion), I would not tip him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicandaisy View Post
    This may sound awful.. and cheap... but if I had a driver who didnt say a word and used his cell phone the entire way (which is very unsafe in my opinion), I would not tip him at all.
    Oh no, regardless we're obligated to tip, negative behavior must be rewarded. That's the way people have been guilted into tipping.

Personally if a waiter or waitress, driver etc, is surly they can forget a tip. We are typically good tippers but I absolutely refuse to reward someone just because it's expected. There should be a service there.

Thank you for everyone's help, we are much more informed now and somewhat know what to expect :-)