Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default Tipping policies

    Hello...

    My husband and I are going to CN with our best friends in December. We are first timers. I'm sure this has been discussed on the board numerous times before, but wanting to know what to expect for tipping. I know tipping is not part of the policy for the resort, and we will bring small gifts (i.e. chocolates, etc.) for that. Where else should we be prepared to tip with cash? And how much is standard for tipping?

    Can't wait!!!

    hawkgirl

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Bag handlers at the airport: $1 per bag.
    Driver: $5-$20 depending on level of service.
    Spa: $10 per treatment (more or less depending).
    Cat Cruise: $3-$5

    That's pretty much the extent of tipping.

    Have a blast!!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Starting from when you get off the plane, you'll tip the baggage handlers on the way to your bus ride to the resort. Don't let anybody get your bag until you get to the Couples lounge and they'll take your bag from there and get a tag on it... don't tip them, they are Couples employees. You tip the guys OUTSIDE that take the bags to the bus. That's your first tip upon arrival. $1 or $2 per person/bag These are not Couples employees, thus the tip.

    Then tip the driver of the bus when he drops you off at your resort, again, not a Couples employee, so you tip. We usually give him about $5 or $10

    Now you are on the resort and none of those employees are tipped, ever.

    In the spa, these are contracted to Couples, so you can tip if you want, but not required. We usually have massages and tip $10 or $15

    If you take any excursions that are outside the resort, again, those are not Couples employees so take tip money. Example, Dunns River Falls... you'll tip the bus driver, guides on the Falls, and the videographer... about $5 each or whatever you want.

    Again... ON the resort, none of those employees are tipped... you can put away your money the whole time you are there... relax....

    When you leave the resort to head home... tip the driver when he drops you off at the airport.

    Advice here... get your own bag off the bus and proceed inside to the airport. It's totally unnecessary and almost a scam how the guys will stand outside the busses dropping off people to go into the airport for their return trip home. They grab the bags, and drop them on the ground and then demand tip money. We always just get our own bag off and proceed on inside. It's literaly a few steps. I don't mind tipping for a service, but this is highway robbery and we don't allow them to get our bag off the bus anymore after that first trip when we didn't know any better, and another couple told us what was going on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    763

    Default

    You tip the luggage handler at the airport, usually $1 dollar per bag. The driver, usually 5 or 10 dollars a piece. I think...spa and massage, you CAN tip. I know others will have an answer. If you search the board you will find information too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    256

    Default

    You are expected to tip the baggage handlers at the airpot $1/bag. You should also tip the bus driver (we do $10). The crew of the catamaran cruise are not hotel staff. The spa staff are hotel employees, but since you pay for the service you should tip 15% - 20%.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    $1 per bag for the porter who takes your luggage to the shuttle

    $5 - $10 per person for the shuttle driver

    $5 - $10 per massage for the masseuse

    If you take any off-site trips you will also need to tip your bus driver and any tour guide you might have. We also tip $5 - $10 per person.

    There is an option at CN to go shopping at the Craft Market. This is done by a CN employee and there is no need to tip.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    197

    Default

    You should tip the person at the airport who loads your bags onto the bus, who is not a Couples employee. We have 2 carry-on bags and usually tip $5-$10 total.

    I believe you are permitted to tip the drivers to/from the resort. We typically do. You are permitted to tip spa employees -- I tip the same as I would in the US (15%-20%).

    Tipping other employees at Couples is not permitted.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    987

    Default

    There is another thread on this same subject and I have posted there as well. But quickly:

    Tip the baggage handlers at the airport that haul your stuff out to the bus (or back in when you return)
    Tip the bus driver going and coming from the resort.
    Tip the crew of the catamaran cruise, they will put out a tip jar on the bar.
    Tip the crew or guides for off site excursions or water activities.
    Tip the spa staff.

    Watch your thread for more advice. Have a great trip!

  9. #9

    Default

    Porters at Airport $1 per bag.
    Shuttle drivers to and from airport $5 or 10 per couple. Some don't tip the drivers, we did as they are not couples employees.
    Spa, we tipped $10 per massage, my wife tipped $5 for a pedicure.
    Couples lounge btw, no tipping they are Couples employees.

    When leaving commend any Couples employee who deserves praise on the comment card. The comments are used when evaluating the staff.

    Enjoy Couples, you and your friends will love it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    NO TIPPING!! REALLY NO TIPPING!! You should tip the bag handlers at the airport and we always tip our shuttle bus driver who takes us from the airport to the resort but when you are at the resort THERE IS NO TIPPING! It makes life so worry free.

  11. #11

    Default

    The bus drivers to and from the resort 10.00 each, the baggage handlers at the airport 2.00 per bag,lol and they expect it,also on the catamaran cruise we went on at CSA there was a tip jar on the bar..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    708

    Default

    You will be expected to tip the:

    - baggage handlers at the airport ($1 per bag or so)

    - shuttle driver to the resort & back to airport ($5 -$20 is what is normal) If they are very friendly & giving lots of info on the island & all we tip more ... if they just get you there with no frills we tip less. If also depends to us on how many other couples are going at the same time ... if there are several we tip less than if it's just us & 1 or 2 other couples.

    - spa staff at the resort (depends on what you're having done)

    - tour guides

    - taxi drivers


    TIP: Take small bills ... Lot's of $1's & $5's & nothing larger than a $20. It's pretty impossible to get change from vendors, etc. & even at the airport shops.
    Julie

  13. #13

    Default

    Does anyone know how much it costs to get video or pics of ziplining through Chukka, and DRF?? 2 more days trying to make sure we bring enough cash...so also when we book the ziplining for example can we choose in advance to get video? Thanks everyone!

    Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    Starting from when you get off the plane, you'll tip the baggage handlers on the way to your bus ride to the resort. Don't let anybody get your bag until you get to the Couples lounge and they'll take your bag from there and get a tag on it... don't tip them, they are Couples employees. You tip the guys OUTSIDE that take the bags to the bus. That's your first tip upon arrival. $1 or $2 per person/bag These are not Couples employees, thus the tip.

    Then tip the driver of the bus when he drops you off at your resort, again, not a Couples employee, so you tip. We usually give him about $5 or $10

    Now you are on the resort and none of those employees are tipped, ever.

    In the spa, these are contracted to Couples, so you can tip if you want, but not required. We usually have massages and tip $10 or $15

    If you take any excursions that are outside the resort, again, those are not Couples employees so take tip money. Example, Dunns River Falls... you'll tip the bus driver, guides on the Falls, and the videographer... about $5 each or whatever you want.

    Again... ON the resort, none of those employees are tipped... you can put away your money the whole time you are there... relax....

    When you leave the resort to head home... tip the driver when he drops you off at the airport.

    Advice here... get your own bag off the bus and proceed inside to the airport. It's totally unnecessary and almost a scam how the guys will stand outside the busses dropping off people to go into the airport for their return trip home. They grab the bags, and drop them on the ground and then demand tip money. We always just get our own bag off and proceed on inside. It's literaly a few steps. I don't mind tipping for a service, but this is highway robbery and we don't allow them to get our bag off the bus anymore after that first trip when we didn't know any better, and another couple told us what was going on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    i won't be tipping the baggage handlers again, I'll carry my own bags and not have to deal with them demanding a tip, once we got the airport on the way back I made sure to get my bags before they went on the cart and others we rode there with took their bags off the cart and didn't tip. the driver, tour guides, ect deserve to be tipped. I will never tip the baggage handlers again. I think I also tipped the guy who watches your bags at the lounge gave me piece of mind.

  15. #15

    Default

    I really wish someone from Couples would clarify the tipping policy with respect to the spa. On previous visits, the rule was that spa workers were not couples employees so that you tipped them just like the bus drivers. However when my wife and I were at CSA last March we were told on check in that this policy had changed and now the spa was covered by the Couple no tipping policy. So when my wife went for the first time she didn't tip. Then shortly after this, she saw other people tipping, and she felt terrible. So we both tipped for the rest of our stay.

    Here's the thing. We're perfectly happy to conform to whatever the local policy is. If tips are in order, we'll take that into account when deciding how much to spend in the spa, but we don't want to offend anyone and we'd definitely like to make sure everyone is properly compensated. The only thing that bugs us is telling us the policy is X, making a decision to consume (or not) and then finding out later that the policy is X + 20%.

    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Couples (RandyMon!) clarify this. We'll go along with whatever the policy is (we're headed back to couples next March). We just need to know what the policy really is. Thanks!

  16. #16

    Default

    Inthesun:

    Tipping for spa services is permitted.

    Couples Resorts

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    I just wish the tip at the spa was included in the price of the service and be done with it. I don't want to worry about carrying cash anywhere on the resort. How about it Randymon?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Tipping for water activities?

    In one of the posts in this thread it says you should tip for water activities. Does include onsite activities, like snorkeling, scuba, hobie cat,etc... I am more than happy to tip anyone who deserves to be tipped.
    Thanks you!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandj View Post
    I just wish the tip at the spa was included in the price of the service and be done with it. I don't want to worry about carrying cash anywhere on the resort.
    We stop by our room for a quick shower before going to the spa to rinse off any sand and grab our spa certificate and money for tips at that time. We're not carrying money around the resort all day long but only retrieve some from the safe when we need it.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bake3337 View Post
    In one of the posts in this thread it says you should tip for water activities. Does include onsite activities, like snorkeling, scuba, hobie cat,etc... I am more than happy to tip anyone who deserves to be tipped.
    Thanks you!
    Do not tip Couples employees!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Pamela , call me lazy but the resort has gone cashless. I don't want to have to open the safe and be bothered with tipping while on the Resort. Just my opinion, I like to just lock away my things and be done. That's why we like Couples so much.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    785

    Default

    One should tip any luggage handler or Bus (Van) driver. Also anyone NOT associated with the Resort. This includes tipping the Catamaran Crew, who are not actual employees of the resort. Resort employees are absolutely NOT allowed to accept any tips.

  23. #23

    Default

    Thanks for the update on tipping Randymon. Two suggestions:

    1. We were told on check in that tipping in the Spa had been eliminated, so it might be a good idea to clarify this with the desk staff.

    2. I LOVE the fact that couples has gone cashless. It would be great if there was some way to tip the spa staff without using cash.

    Thanks again for the clarification!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    313

    Default

    We just got back - on our "massage days" I threw tip money in the beach bag and never had any problems. Of course we were at CSS so it was a private beach but I've never had problems in Negril either. FYI we tip $15 on a one hour massage and $20 on a 90 minute massage. Still much cheaper than the expected tip at home.

    Amy

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inthesun View Post
    Thanks for the update on tipping Randymon. Two suggestions:

    1. We were told on check in that tipping in the Spa had been eliminated, so it might be a good idea to clarify this with the desk staff.

    2. I LOVE the fact that couples has gone cashless. It would be great if there was some way to tip the spa staff without using cash.

    Thanks again for the clarification!
    I thought Randy did clarify that tipping in the spa is permitted... how would you want to tip them if you didnt give cash?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •