Default Broken Leg- CSS-Advice Needed

My husband and I were planning a delayed honeymoon to CSS for August 18th-26th. I then proceeded to fall and break two bones in my leg Friday night. I had to have surgery. At this point I am on a walker. The good news I am young (33) and in great shape there is a chance I could be cast free or atleast have an air cast by then. My husband wants to cancel trip and reschedule. I don't. Anyone ever taken a vacation with a broken leg.

I did it with a blown out disk!

There is a shuttle at CSS, though.

CSS has lots and lots of steps. I might think of cancelling or maybe relocating to a different couples location. Although the is a courtesy van to shuttle you around the property, I feel you might not be able to enjoy all the resort has to offer. Just my opinion.

Denise

I work in radiology and have seen some really bad breaks heal within a few weeks. Just do what your doctor says and stay off of it as much as possible. I don't know that I would reschedule but I would definately switch to a different resort with less stairs. Even if you just have an aircast at that time you will not feel like walking up and down stairs just 5 weeks post op. And if it comes down to a week or so before your trip and you or your Ortho don't feel like you are where you need to be you can always reschedule then. Good luck!

You might want to look at CTI. Since the renovations it has ramps to various levels of the resort. I als believe it is the "most compact". By that, I mean less walking to get from place to place. There are two elevators, so if you found yourself in the new building or the east wing, you could request a wing with an elevator and I know they would take care of you. We visited CSS and there is an elevator to the spa and mineral pool, but still lots of walking and steps. Just a thought.
    Vicky

Honestly I LOVE CSS best but if you really don't want to reschedule just change to CTI the land of the elevators and much smaller resort layout. CTI is a very close second to me and that was before the fantastic new remodel. You would be able to get around much easier at CTI. Ask for a room in the main building closest to the lobby elevator.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

CSS is definately the most beautiful and romantic of the Couples resorts. The perfect place for a honeymoon. Don't postpone your trip.

Change your reservations to a Beachfront (Jacizzi) Suite in room block A or B. They are on the same level as the beach, beach grill, beach bar, main pool with swim up bar, the Palazzina Restautant where they have the breakfast and lunch buffets and a fancy reservations meal at night, the Starlight Gala and Beach Party. You won't need to go anywhere else on the resort, except maybe the lobby or Ballon Bar and Terrace for evening entertainment, but you can always take the shuttle up there. You just call the Bell Desk anytime and they pick you up anywhere within about 5 minutes. Oh yes, the au natural area (Sunset Beach) is on the same level as Blocks A and B too!! That becomes a clothed area for the beautiful sunsets!!

Go and have a wonderful honeymoon!!!

Sorry to hear about your injury. Perhaps you might consider switching to a "flatter" resort such as CN or CSA, if that's possible. Personally, I would not enjoy being at CSS with a cast on my leg. But at the other ones it wouldn't be as big of a deal, as long as I could walk around a bit.

Hope you feel better soon.

You may end up with a pretty funny tan line, though.

Have the staff sign your cast as a momento !

I agree with changing to another Couples resort. The steps, which are all around the property at CSS, could be a little rough, especially at night, they are are not like a staircase in a home......

Man that stinks Couples will take care of you though, even with all the steps, the shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go. I wouldn't cancel. I might consider CTI though.

I agree with Wally, go ahead with your trip. As he said, you can change to a beachfront room, where most of the activities take place. If you need to go up on the cliffs, you can always take the shuttle, which is very reliable. My husband has back/spinal problems, which greatly inhibits his physical activity, and we did fine at CSS last year. We had a beachfront room and took the shuttle when we needed to.

Also, I have a friend who is currently in an air cast (she also had surgery) and she gets around great! You can't even tell she's wearing it. Just take it easy for now, and try to heal up the best you can and enjoy your vacation at CSS!!

You may want to verify with your orthopedist that you are okay to fly. If you are traveling a long way, be sure to get up and move around every hour, as sitting in cramped airline seats for too long can cause problems with swelling, and the remote possibility of embolism in a post surgery patient. Getting a "bulkhead" seat where there are no seats in front of you will help also. Don't want to scare you, just being cautious. Ask your doctor.

Thanks for the replies. I am in a better frame of mind after five days. For the time being I am not going to cancel the reservation. I have my heart set on CSS. If I can ditch the walker and move to crutches, I plan on being at CSS watching the sunset four weeks from today. So wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWGFAN View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am in a better frame of mind after five days. For the time being I am not going to cancel the reservation. I have my heart set on CSS. If I can ditch the walker and move to crutches, I plan on being at CSS watching the sunset four weeks from today. So wish me luck.
    Just remember Ext. 6010 to request the resort shuttle dial it from any room or house phone.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Quote Originally Posted by HAWGFAN View Post
    That's the spirit HAWGFAN!! If you have your heart set on CSS then that's where you should spend your honeymoon. You'll have a wonderful time and the staff will be more than willing to help you get around. Don't forget...there's room service (at no additional charge) at CSS so you can even dine in your room and enjoy the view from your balcony too!

Best Wishes,

Bart & Bug