Default Concerned about beach vendors at CSA

My DH and I are planning a tenth anniversary trip, and we've never been to any Couples resorts but love the idea of the adults-only resort. (Love kids, just want a break!) We had pretty much decided on CSA, but I am concerned about the public nature of the beach. How much interaction do you have with the vendors? We would really prefer just to relax and not have anyone bothering us while we're reading, talking, etc. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks! Katie

The vendors stay at the water line and cannot enter Couples property. Their are security guards to enforce that

There are vendors on the beach, but in five trips to CSA, I've only once been harassed by a vendor who was quite angry that no one was tipping him after he warbled a few tunes. This is why I now bring a couple of dollar bills in my beach bag to the beach every day.

If you want to see aggressive vendors, go to Aruba or Barbados. How many timeshares are there in these places?

If you don't want any vendors at all, try CSS or CTI.

What I found when we were at CSA is that there really weren't many vendors. The guy selling cigarettes just passed by calling out, but some of the others would try to catch your eye, and if they did they would come over. There was this one guy selling wood carvings who was bad for this. I'd see him coming and turn my head to not catch his eye. We'd already said no to him a couples times. Maybe it's not like this any more. It wasn't a problem, nor were the non-resort people who passed through. One couple with a small child stopped and the child started to cry. The guard went over and gently got them to move along. What can you do? The beach is public after all. The CSA beach is so beautiful though, but I must say I am looking forward to the total privacy of CTI and CSS.

They are very low key on Swept Aways Beach. Security is always watching so there are aware. They tend to stay right at the water line and don't bother guests relaxing in chairs that much.

I like peace and quiet so the vendors going back and forth throughout the day grew tiresome.
    I also like to read and talk with my husband. On the other hand you can shop along the beachfront, and you may have to compromise the voices of the vendors.

The vendors are a non-issue. Those who make a stink about them are just trying to find something to complain about.
    Erika & Sean

DH and I love the beach vendors at CSA and enjoyed hearing their sales picth. Favoirte " where are my smokers and if you dont smoke you should start." They wont bother you if your not interested in what they have to sell, a "No Thank- you" works very well.

Am I the only one that loves the cigarette guy? LOL. I laugh every time I hear him!

We were on the beach every day and a simple, but direct "No Thank You" with a smile got them moving right along. CSA security are very good about keeping the vendors at waters edge and moving on when no one shows an interest in what they are selling.

I urge that you not suggest to them that you might be interested "maybe later" because they will remember you and they will be back to look for you.

I agree with others that the best response is "thank you, but I am NOT interested." Be firm, smile when you say it, and repeat as needed. We had absolutely NO problems, and we spent a good portion of time on the beach. It didn't seem like there were many vendors...just the same ones coming and going. Don't let this keep you away from beautiful CSA.

We really missed the beach vendors when we went to CTI and CSS last year. They add to the ambience on the beach and if you take a minute to talk to them you will find them to be very nice people. We loved the strolling musicians and the guy announcing the "reggae party."
    Can't wait to get back to 7 mile beach!

Cigarettes!!!!!! I agree I don't feel relaxed that first morning until the Cigarettes guy walks past with his distinctive voice.

Quote Originally Posted by photochick5 View Post
    Am I the only one that loves the cigarette guy? LOL. I laugh every time I hear him!
    We call him "Hat".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

The beach vendors add to the ambiance of the beach. Iím a people watcher and the vendors are always interesting to watch and listen to. Just say ďIím not interestedĒ and they go about their business elsewhere. I really like the 2-3 man bands. Just sit back a ways from the water if you donít want any of them to bother you.

Life is good

But if there were no vendors they would be no Charlie! Charlie is an icon!

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    The beach vendors add to the ambiance of the beach. Iím a people watcher and the vendors are always interesting to watch and listen to. Just say ďIím not interestedĒ and they go about their business elsewhere. I really like the 2-3 man bands. Just sit back a ways from the water if you donít want any of them to bother you.

Life is good
    Agree 100% - it's a living beach, if you are polite the vendors are fine

We loved the strolling musicians and the guy announcing the "reggae party."
    It's gonna be hot, hot, hot.

Awww! There he is! I can't wait to get back down there!

I loved the cigarette guy too, as he made me laugh as well with his "song". Plus he never hassled anyone.

I forgot about the roving musicians. How could I? They were awesome. Early in our visit they came through and played for us. I think someone in our group had a few dollars to tip them, but generally we never took money to the beach since you don't tip couples staff. Anyway, we hoped to see them again so we could buy their CD, so after that made sure we had some cash. Finally we came across them again and bought a CD. It's really poor quality, lol, but we love it, and that we supported them. Plus it just reminds of us CSA.

The vendors are an experience. Who knows, maybe we'll miss them at CTI and CSS. I'd certainly not avoid CSA for the vendors. The beach (and CSA) is just too amazing to pass up for that reason.

For Sue and I the vendors are part of the Swept Away experience. After all the welcome home greetings from the staff this year as we went to the Cabana Grill for a bite to eat after getting our room we heard someone calling us. It was Elvis welcoming us home .

All the vendors, cigarette man, reggae party HOT HOT HOT, to Raybel painting his one of a kind t shirts at the resort. As well as the Rasta Bead mon who teaches the bead class at Swept Away make every trip special in their own way and are part of our experience.

Remember, we are visiting their home.

respect mon,

Randy

The vendors are amusing, but when your trying to nap...and hear SHELLS in your sleep..it is not so pleasant. I will use CTI or SS due to the vendors. I know it is their home, but we are the guest. Be blessed

On the property, we actually enjoyed watching "shell-mon" and "cig-mon" walk the beach. A polite no-thank you and they moved on.

If you take a stroll down the beach off the property, be ready for some serious sales pressure. Go with a plan for what you want, say no-thank you and move on. We walked the beach early (before 7 am a few times) and it was nice - no vendors yet. But a whole different story in the afternoon, you can't take 3 steps without someone selling bracelets or t-shirts.

Thanks for the tips everyone! We're going to CSA Sept 11th; first trip to any of the Couples resorts.