Default Chicago O'Hare Customs

I am looking at flights for March 2011 and found one that connects thgough O'Hare Aiport (American Airlines). The layover is one hour and 20 minutes and I'm wondering if that will be enough time to get through customs/immigration and get to our connecting flight. Can anyone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by LSchmid View Post
    I am looking at flights for March 2011 and found one that connects thgough O'Hare Aiport (American Airlines). The layover is one hour and 20 minutes and I'm wondering if that will be enough time to get through customs/immigration and get to our connecting flight. Can anyone help me?
    If it is an international connection then I would definitely say you don't have enough time. Immigration in Chicago is notoriously slow and you have to recover and re-check your luggage. Add to that a potential terminal change so one hour and 20 minutes soon gets eaten up. With a terminal change you also have to go back through security.

On the way down to MoBay--no problem. On the way home it will be cutting it close. Sometimes the line to go through immigration is terrible. Then you have to wait for your luggage. You go through customs and out the door and you can re-check your luggage. The problem comes when you have to go upstairs and catch the train to the next terminal and go back through security. I would think that you would want 2-3 hours between flights on the way back to the US.

Default Ohare

1 hour 20 minutes is cutting it reallyclose, depending on time of day and what day of the week. Weekends, NO way

Regardless of the airport, the time that it takes to get through customs/immigration is a crap shoot. Since it is a connecting flight, you also have TSA security to consider (which can be worse than customs/immigration).

In 2007 my flight from Quito, Ecuador back to Phoenix via Miami and Dallas was delayed by over 6 hours. American rescheduled my connecting flights leaving me with 30 minutes to get through Customs/Immigration (and the dreaded TSA security).

To make mattters worse, when we landed in Miami, the plane had to wait on a gate, eating away 15 minutes of my 30 minute window. I called my wife to tell her that I may have to spend the night in Miami.

Fortunately, I only had a carry on. I ran through the airport, breezed through Customs and Immigration, ran to the other end of the airport (arriving and departing gates were as far apart as possible!) and then hit the TSA line. I politely asked people if I could go ahead of them so that I could catch my flight. They were very accomodating. I was about to ask one more person, but he stepped forward for the inspection before I could do so. As luck would have it, he had a BOTTLE OF WATER in his carry on. I had to wait (im)patiently while this threat to national security was neutralized.

Finally it was my turn. I got though, and RAN with my carry on in one hand, and my shoes and belt in the other.

I reached the gate, completely soaked in sweat, just as the final boarding call was issued, and made it by the skin of my teeth.

Dirty Harry probably has the best answer:

"You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

25th@CTI, I have read so many of your responses on the MB and you are truly funny. Ever thought about being a comedian? Your descriptions and analogies have me crying. I go through some posts just to see if u have responded because, I know that I am going to be cracking up. Thank u so much for your sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by spice505 View Post
    25th@CTI, I have read so many of your responses on the MB and you are truly funny. Ever thought about being a comedian? Your descriptions and analogies have me crying. I go through some posts just to see if u have responded because, I know that I am going to be cracking up. Thank u so much for your sense of humor.
    Thank you spice505. I'm not a comedian, just someone that enjoys life, and likes to see the humor in things.