Default first time to jamaica...is it safe?

Thinking of planning a vacation to couples swept away but have heard from a few people that jamaica is not very safe place to travel to these days.
    How safe is the island?
    are you confined to only your resorts?
    we only want to do some shopping and some excursions out of the resort maybe to margrietta ville or a night club but some are having second thoughts beacuse of the civil unrest in jamaica

some help would be nice

We have been to Jamaica 4 times and have never felt unsafe. We have left the resort property and our taxi driver took us to a shopping area in Negril and waited on us the entire time. We walked the beach past the resort borders and had no problems. You will have alot of people offer you some illegal substances but just say "no thank you" and they will leave you alone. We have never been to a night club there but they do have a group trip to The Jungle night club that leaves from the resort and you should be fine doing that. The people of Jamaica, for the most part, are wonderful people and are very grateful to have you as their guests. Go and have fun. We love CSA.

We had some of the same concern about safety but that went away quickly once we got there. We didn't leave the resort to go to nightclubs or anythign because we enjoyed being on the resort, but we have walked the beaches and there are no issues. A polite no thanks and the vendors go away. Many people have commented on here that they have gone to clubs and Margaritaville and Ricks with no issues. The civil unrest you heard about was a small portion of Kingston but that is over. It is no more of an issue of safety than many large cities in the US. If you use common sense and do the same things in Jamaica you would do in a large city, you will have no issues. It is such a beautiful place. It would be a shame to have fear keep you from something that would be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.

Ok let me make something very clear... Jamaica is SAFE.... there is crime and violence yes but there is the stuff same going on anywhere in the world. As with any trip out of the country you must maintain some type of caution. The people of Jamaica for the most part are the most carefree and happy people in the world. My wife and I have been to Jamaica 12 times and we have even traveled off resort to our Jamaican friends homes and I have went to Jerk Centers and bars at night and I never felt threatened or for that matter even bothered by anyone... Trust me you can not go wrong with going to Jamaica and Couples resorts and the people that work there will make you feel at ease from the moment you arrive.... 15 days until we return home!!!

Scott

The civil unrest that you have been hearing about was centered in Kingston. My wife and I did not feel unsafe while we were in Jamaica.

I must admit that I had a negative view of resorts in Jamaica prior to going. My fear was that they were "Tourist Compounds" where you were locked away for your safety. My wife wanted to do an all inclusive, and we ended up deciding on Jamaica.

My negative view has been changed! We had a great time and did excursions outside of the resort 3 times (Dunns River Falls, Ocho Rios Shopping and a full day Blue Mountain Bike Tour).

I felt safer in Jamaica than I do in many large cities in the US. I certainly felt safer than I do in Mexico.

i'm a very paranoid person by nature and in the US i take all legal means to protect myself, however I never felt the need to do so in Jamaica. Keep your head up, keep your situational awareness high and you'll be fine.

A lot of people who talk about how unsafe it is just lump the whole island together. People also say New York City is unsafe but that doesn't mean you are going to get mugged in Connecticut or that either of those states are unsafe. Just use basic safety precautions. Staying on the resort is very safe and pretty much it's own little world.

May be safer than the far north side of Milwaukee where I(Louie) work No worries mon.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. Embassy employees as well as private Americans are advised to avoid traveling into high-threat areas including, but not limited to, Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers, Canterbury, Norwood, Rose Heights, Clavers Street and Hart Street in Montego Bay. Sudden demonstrations can occur, during which demonstrators often construct roadblocks or otherwise block streets. Travelers to Kingston may wish to check with the U.S. Embassy for current information prior to their trip.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs' website, which contains current the Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free within the U.S. and Canada, or by calling a regular toll line, 1-202-501-4444, from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State reminds American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s extensive tips and advice on traveling safely abroad.

With this said - Jamiaca is just like anywhere else in the world - the good, bad, & ugly exists. Just stay out of the not so great neighborhoods, listen to the warnings from the resort staff, stay alert as you would traveling anywhere - including your own hometown, and ENJOY yourself. We've been to Negril, Jamiaca several times without one scary incident and we go off the resort property often.

Come home to Jamaica mon and have a good time!

We too were nervous the first time we went we did not leave the resort only because we were in awe how beautiful it was and wanted to enjoy every minute on the beach we will be returning for our second trip to CTI in february 2010 and cannot wait. we have lots planned on and off the resort! Don't waste your time worrying about safety just go and have the best vacay ever!

The security at CSA is outstanding! They make sure the vendors keep moving and even alert you when the large string rays pass through the swimming area. We went to Ricks and had no trouble. Margarittaville is even sloser and seemed fine too. The only time I felt unsafe was during the second stop of the resort sponsored shopping trip into town. The first stop was fine- plety of shops. The second stop was a very busy area with lots of homeless people begging. In hindsight, I would have still taken the resort bus, but stayed on the bus at the second stop.

You'll be fine. However, I don't think I'll be going to Mexico anytime soon.

My husband and I have been twice now and this past January even went to Kingston to go to the Bob Marley museum. The driver that Couples provided was knowledgable and we never once felt uncomfortable. We saw things that you see in all major cities...a lot of buildings...school children in their uniforms walking home...some historic landmarks and people going about their daily lives. We actually learned a lot from our driver and enjoyed the excursion immensely. Wouldn't think twice about going again as long as I had a good driver. My sister-in-law is actually going to Kingston in November to teach a class at the University and is very excited. Her and my brother have only been to Couples Negril and she seems really excited to branch out of the resort area but also knows as a guest of the University she will have nothing to worry about.

Go and enjoy yourself and fall in love with the people and Couples. I promise you, it won't be your last trip. We just booked our third trip and that will make it 3 years straight now!

In traveling to Jamaica almost yearly since 1998, we've never felt unsafe in Montego Bay, Negril, or Ocho Rios. We have never been to Kingston (where the problems you hear about on TV are) & have no plans of going but these other areas aren't near there. Use your head, just like you would anywhere else ... don't flaunt wads of cash or expensive jewelry while you're out & about ... use a driver or taxi that the resort gets for you & ENJOY!!! We love Jamaice & will be returning in 3 days & counting!!!!!!!!!!!! We've traveled all over & Jamaica is our favorite destination .... Make it Couples & you can't go wrong.
    Julie