Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pass Port

Default Pass Port

We are going to CSS in early (9th) October. We have married since last there (CN) last Fall. We are registered with our pre married names. Her passport has her pre married name on it. Her driver's license has her new (married) name on it. To get a new passport, it involves a new passport, and price. Will she need any other picture ID other than a passport? Can we just get away with the old passport? At this point, I'm not sure we have the time to get her a new passport.

You can pay an extra fee to expedite the processing of a new passport. Because it's a renewal (of sorts) rather than a new passport, the process is generally quicker. We received our second passports in less than two weeks.

However, your wife would be able to use her current passport as long as her airline ticket is issued in the name that is on the passport. That is, the name on her ticket must match the name on her passport. No other ID is required.
    Last edited by Pamela; August 27th, 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Correction of Punctuation Errors
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

She just needs to get a name change on her passport. You don't have to get a new one. The name change will cost you a lot less. If you look into it and don't have time before you leave, then I believe you will have to bring your marriage certificate to prove her name change. Good luck.

The passport can be amended.

have you bought your plane tickets yet? you plane tickets must MATCH your passport name to the T!!!!

peace & LOVE
    Jamie and Craig

If her plane ticket has exactly the same name has her passport you will be ok.

If the name on her ticket is her maiden name, use the passport as is. If the name on her ticket is her married name, she should update her name.

Her passport will be her only required photo ID. When going through TSA, use the passport, not the drivers licence.

Way back when (when the photo was affixed to the passport, and then an embossed seal was placed over it), my wife didn't need to get a new passport. The passport office ammended her old one. She sent in the marriage certificate and passport, and they put an entry on one of the pages stating that her name had changed.

The TSA requires that your airline ticket has the exact same name as your ID. For travel to Jamaica, the ID has to be a valid US passport. You will not need her driver's licence at all, so you should be fine. I wouldn't tell them that her name has changed, just show them her passport. If the name on the airline ticket doesn't match the pasport exactly, just contact the airline (or your travel agent) and have the name on the ticket changed to match her passport.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    She just needs to get a name change on her passport. You don't have to get a new one. The name change will cost you a lot less. If you look into it and don't have time before you leave, then I believe you will have to bring your marriage certificate to prove her name change. Good luck.
    Maybe that was true in the past but not any longer. I am in the process of changing mine for this very reason. If your passport is less than a year old you can get a new one with the new name for free. If it is over a year old you have to pay full price to get a new one just like if you renewed your passport with your old name. They don't amend them, they just make a new one. You have to send new photos and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post

However, your wife would be able to use her current passport as long as her airline ticket is issued in the name that is on the passport. That is, the name on her ticket must match the name on her passport. No other iD is required.
    ...We checked with a local Travel Agent. She said the Passport should work as a sole Picture ID. Since her plane tickets, etc, are in her maiden name anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    ....That's what we thought. I guess the rules have changed. Now, she needs a new picture, and $110 for a NEW Passport. Plus sending in her old one. And may take up to 6 weeks to get.

Melody, that sucks. Thanks for the update. It was over 10 years ago that we had to amend mine. What a hassle.

I'm confused!!! Can I just travel with my maiden name across the board and worry about changing it next trip! Getting married in the states before trip...planned on just using my maiden name for this trip??

Quote Originally Posted by Genelle View Post
    I'm confused!!! Can I just travel with my maiden name across the board and worry about changing it next trip! Getting married in the states before trip...planned on just using my maiden name for this trip??

....Apparently, your passport needs only to match whatever name you're booked with.

Genelle- I was confused about this also. You can travel with your maiden name as long as you have your passport and DL with your maiden name on it you will be fine.

acranger- I just talked to the passport people a couple of weeks ago, I explained to them that I got married last July and my passport has my maiden name on it. They said that since it has been more than 3 months since I was married that I would need to file a DS-82. I have to send in my old passport and my two passport pictures again and my marriage certificate. There is a $75.00 charge they change your name and send you a whole new passport you do not get to keep your old one. The lady said it will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to get it in the mail. If you need it sooner you can have expedited for an additional charge.

In order to travel depending on the airline they ask to see your Passport and DL or photo ID and Ticket. All of the names have to match on the documents. Hope this helps. I wish the people would just tell the women hey by the way if you are getting married make sure you change the name on your passport within 3 months of the date you were married or had your named legally changed or you will have to go through the entire process all over again. Go to travel.state.gov tells you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Genelle View Post
    Just so the name on the tickets match the name on the passport.

Thanks everyone I will travel this time like we have in the past and change when I get home. Thanks for the info!!!

Looks like this thread helped several people

Quote Originally Posted by redblueku View Post
    In order to travel depending on the airline they ask to see your Passport and DL or photo ID and Ticket.
    This is not true. The passport always supersedes the driverís license. Even for domestic travel you never need your driverís license (unless youíre going to rent a car) if you have your passport. So donít worry acranger, you will be fine as long as your ticket matches your passport. Leave your driverís license at home!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    This is not true. The passport always supersedes the driverís license. Even for domestic travel you never need your driverís license (unless youíre going to rent a car) if you have your passport. So donít worry acranger, you will be fine as long as your ticket matches your passport. Leave your driverís license at home!
    ......Good deal. Thankyou. All of her tickets are in her maiden name, so should be no problem.

Default Wally yes it is true!

I'm not going to argue with you. When we traveled last July the airline asked to see both mine and my husbands ID's and Passports.

And it is really not a good idea to tell people to not to carry another form of identification on them, especially when they are traveling to a different country. What are you going to do walk around with your passport the entire time? What if you lost it? How would you get back into the country. You'd be SOL.

So bring your ID's and Passports. Better safe than sorry!!

Quote Originally Posted by redblueku View Post
    I'm not going to argue with you. When we traveled last July the airline asked to see both mine and my husbands ID's and Passports.

So bring your ID's and Passports. Better safe than sorry!!
    ....With a Driver's License that does not match her Pass Port, Plane Ticket, of Resort Reservation; Think we'll leave it at home.

acranger -

I would either leave the driver's license at home or just not show it to the airline. If they ask to see it tell them you don't have it because you were told that the passport was enough. If they insist, ask them to check with their supervisor. If you show them the driverís license with a different name, you will be guaranteed to get refused boarding.

Has anyone else out there been asked for both?
    [

Default Sorry for the confusion

In my last post I was just meaning to travel with a second form of identification just in general. I wasn't necessarily posting directly to you acranger. Sorry for any confusion there. I was just trying to say what happened to us on our vacation. With the airline asking to see our ID's. You will be fine and have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    acranger -

I would either leave the driver's license at home or just not show it to the airline. If they ask to see it tell them you don't have it because you were told that the passport was enough. If they insist, ask them to check with their supervisor. If you show them the driverís license with a different name, you will be guaranteed to get refused boarding.

Has anyone else out there been asked for both?
    ....Another issue with a driver's license as an ID, not everyone drives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast