Thread: boston

Default boston

I'm at a conference in Boston next week. We are staying at Boston Mariott Copley. Can anyone suggest a good place to eat? Also any must sees? I've never been. I have all day Monday and every evening and a car. I have tried researching it but its overwhelming for a small town Iowan-there's so much.
    THANKS
    also 98 DAYS TILL CN. WOO HOO.

Marriott's web site is pretty good at providing information on dining and area attractions for all of its hotels. If you go into a search engine and enter the name of your hotel, you'll find a link to your particular hotel, then just click on the links on the left-hand side.

We leave for CN on Friday, September 17, for our 18th trip to Couples and 14th trip to CN. I would be more excited about it, but we have a visit with the in-laws scheduled before then, so there's a bit of dread preceding our vacation. My husband has strict instructions that, if he can see I'm about to lose it, he's to whisper in my ear, "In one week, we'll be at Couples."
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Default Boston

If you like Italian food anywhere in the North End is great. I grew up in Boston and have been in Florida for the past 18 years. We took a Duck Tour when we were back there this summer, you will get to see all of the sites and hear the history of the city in an hour and a half, then if you saw something that intrests you can go spend more time there. Of course the best thing to do is go to Fenway Park and watch the Red Sox.

kandl,

Boston is a very walkable city, you really don't need a car. Plus there is public transportation that can get you around the city.

At the Boston Mariott Copley, you in the heart of the city. Plenty of places to eat, shop,etc...

Places to checkout, Quincy Market, Newbury St(you are right there), take the Duck boat tour of the city or there are plenty of other siteseeing type tour buses.

It is suppose to be in the 80 & 90's all week, been a great summer in New England this year.

Drop me a line if you have specific question or destinations.
    lharris646@comcast.net
    Peace,
    BostonWalt

Haymarket Square downtown will offer you a lot of sites and places to see that are historic in nature. Lots of restaurants around depending on your taste for foods. The Crab Shack has excellant foods.

Grab a map of downtown and you will find that you are within walking distance of many of these places or a quick stop on the "T" (MBTA train) will get you close.

My husband Paul is the master for Boston info! You can email him directly @ ppreu at aol dot com and he'll give you lots of places to eat and see! Enjoy your vist!

Boston is a great city!

Restaurants: For seafood try The Union Oyster House and Legal Seafood-there should be a Legals right in the Copley Plaza nest to the hotel! For Italian, the north end is the italian section of Boston, try 5 North Square or Strega! Also in the North End, for dessert try Mikes Pastry-for Canolis Modern Pastry. On Boston Common, visit Cheers...a touristy experience! But, it is Cheers!

Sightseeing: Take a duck tour! www.bostonducktours.com I grew up in Boston and still loved it! It is a vehicle that goes on land and then into the water! The tour guide will take you all around the city and then from there you can go back to certain sites throughout your week to see more!

Also-if you are interested, Cambridge is just next door to Boston and you can walk around Harvard Square-a very "interesting" area. For food there, try John Harvards Brew Pub!

Fenway Park, amazing park!

Fanuiel Hall-tons of shops and restaurants.

Tips: Don't use a car! If you are leaving the city use it, if not don't! If you can I would suggest just taking a cab from the airport to your hotel. Boston is very confusing, and people drive like maniacs!! The "t" system (subway), is the best way to get around! It is very safe and there are stops everywhere, even at Copley where your hotel is. Your hotel may have a map of the system, if not go to this site and print it out ahead of time! http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

CTI Dec. 2010!!

Hi Kandl,
    I will give you a few suggestions, not sure what your interests are though. First off the weather in Boston next week looks great. Sunny and high 80's low 90's. I would check out the Boston Duck Tours online. We always take friends from out of town on it and they love it. Also there are whale watches from Boston Harbor Cruises. I believe they last 3 hours.If you are daring you could try a ride on Codzilla These would be a good Monday trip since you have the day free. If you like seafood, these are my favorites. Daily Catch, Barking Crab, Skipjacks, Union Oyster House. You can view all their menus on line. For Italian I like Artu in the North End. The Red Sox are home on Sept 3rd and 4th I believe. You could try to catch a game, or just walk around outside Fenway. There are a lot of great bars and restaurants in that area. If you need more info let me know.

Thank you to all. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I think the duck tour will be perfect. My boss isn't really up to much walking-is the area we are staying a safe area for a woman to walk early morning? I want to get my exercise. All the restaurants-mmmm. Iowa has great food but it will be fun to try something new. I can see 5 nights isnt enough to do everything but with your suggestions I can narrow it down to the best. Thanks again.

Default Boston Eats/Sights...

Union Oyster House, right near Fanuil(sp?) Hall. Nothing fancy, but the raw bar used to be good. Plus, had my first Samiel Adams Boston Lager there the summer of 1986! It wasn't sold outside of New England yet.

Legal Seafoods used to be decent.

There's always Chinatown or Little Italy for food, as well.

Get a ticket to Fenway and take the T out to the park for a night game; if they have any at home this week. The food at the ball park is some of the best ball park food in baseball. Something familiar, but different!

We are 11 days and a wake up to fly out of here to CN. Looking forward to it.
    TonyS