Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cigars at CSS and Montego Bay airport

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing Cuban cigars at CSS and/or the Montego Bay airport's duty free shops? A friend of mine who lives in Jamaica told me they are legit at the duty free shop. I would appreciate confirmation on this. Also, what about the cigars sold at CSS? I know they have a shop there but what are your experiences with them? I plan on bringing some of my own but I would very much like to buy some Cubans for my week at CSS while on the island.

Thanks.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

You don't have an opportunity to buy at the airport inbound. Do your homework on labels and buy with confidence.

Default Cigars At CSS

If you HAVE to have Cuban, best bet is to do one of two things:
    1) Have your driver stop on the way from MB airport to Sans Souci and but them at a shop along the way ( and negotiate price).
    2) Go downtown Ochy and price them at a couple of shops...
    Do NOT buy the Cubans at Duty free or the resort as they will sometimes not be fresh.
    The best option is to try a couple of Cuban seed Dominicans once you get to Jamaica. Or even ( odd as it may sound) try a couple of the Jamaican cigars. I am a guy who has bought Cubans in many locales and found them not to be fresh, and I have found that fresh Dominicans are far better than stale Cubans... ( not to metnion less money) ... If you are label conscious then I expect you will get the Cubans anyway, but if you want a good smoke, you will follow my advice.
    By the way I have to recant somewhat, I bought some Cuban Monte Christo #5 rings that were a little TOO fresh at CTI gift store ( burned down the side for a couple of minutes but then were fantastic). Good luck with your quest. Nothing better than a good cigar as you're sitting on your balcony listening to some tunes on your ipod and looking at the beach and listenting to your wife tell you to "put out that smelly cigar".

So, when we land I can't go to the duty free shops?

If that's the case I'll have to check out CSS's shop when we get there.
    Cigar Dude

the "cubans" at css are absolutely positively 100% FAKE, no I haven't smoked them nor do I need to. They aren't even good fakes, and the free cigar they give you sucks. Thank god I brought my own to smoke. I didn't see any place to get cigars once you land. it's immigration then luggage then customs then to the couples lounge for beers and the ride to css. if you have any form of motion sickness I suggest you take some meds before the trip. But it is a beautiful drive and enjoy it.

"Do NOT buy the Cubans at Duty free or the resort as they will sometimes not be fresh. "

Not sure of your definition of fresh? If by fresh you mean have they been stored properly at 70 degrees and 70% humidity then I agree. If you mean they are new then you need a little more cigar education. Cubans especially need 3 to 5 years of age before they are even smokeable. Anything less and they are too young and green. Unfortunately the quality of cubans has gone downhill the past few years and they rush their product to market without proper aging of the tobacco before rolling. They have a sick period where they are almost putrid.

The big issue in tropical climates is making sure you get cigars that haven't been stored in too hot of a environment. The humidity in the tropics is usually 70+ anyway.

The bottom line is unfortunately JA is full of fake cubans and you need to be educated as to what is real. If you don't know just go buy some good Dominican cigars before your trip and bring them with you. Get some good Fuentes, Davidoffs or Diamond Crowns and I will guarantee that you will have a superior cigar to any Cubans you can buy in JA.

Of course there's that forbidden fruit thing, I can't help you there. If a person is only an occasional cigar smoker on vacation it probably doesn't matter what you smoke. If you're a serious cigar smoker then definitely bring your own.

If you're intent on getting a Cuban cigar here's a couple of tips. Never buy from a beach or sidewalk vendor. They'll be fake. Never, Never, ever buy a Cohiba from a glass top box. Keep away from cigars in souvenir shops. Your best bet on buying real cuban cigars will be in a dedicated cigar shop. Be prepared to pay 8-20 bucks a stick.

Cohibas are never cheap, if someone is selling cheap Cohibas or Montecristos then they're fake. These are the most counterfeited brands of cubans.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Great write up... sadly you told many there was no santa claus lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    "Do NOT buy the Cubans at Duty free or the resort as they will sometimes not be fresh. "

Not sure of your definition of fresh? If by fresh you mean have they been stored properly at 70 degrees and 70% humidity then I agree. If you mean they are new then you need a little more cigar education. Cubans especially need 3 to 5 years of age before they are even smokeable. Anything less and they are too young and green. Unfortunately the quality of cubans has gone downhill the past few years and they rush their product to market without proper aging of the tobacco before rolling. They have a sick period where they are almost putrid.

The big issue in tropical climates is making sure you get cigars that haven't been stored in too hot of a environment. The humidity in the tropics is usually 70+ anyway.

The bottom line is unfortunately JA is full of fake cubans and you need to be educated as to what is real. If you don't know just go buy some good Dominican cigars before your trip and bring them with you. Get some good Fuentes, Davidoffs or Diamond Crowns and I will guarantee that you will have a superior cigar to any Cubans you can buy in JA.

Of course there's that forbidden fruit thing, I can't help you there. If a person is only an occasional cigar smoker on vacation it probably doesn't matter what you smoke. If you're a serious cigar smoker then definitely bring your own.

If you're intent on getting a Cuban cigar here's a couple of tips. Never buy from a beach or sidewalk vendor. They'll be fake. Never, Never, ever buy a Cohiba from a glass top box. Keep away from cigars in souvenir shops. Your best bet on buying real cuban cigars will be in a dedicated cigar shop. Be prepared to pay 8-20 bucks a stick.

Cohibas are never cheap, if someone is selling cheap Cohibas or Montecristos then they're fake. These are the most counterfeited brands of cubans.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

OK, answer this...if you've gone to Jamaica and taken your own cigars have you taken your own Cubans with you? Does customs at the Jamaican airport care what type of cigars you bring in?
    Cigar Dude

Default I agree ORV

I agree with all that you wrote ORV. And yes, I meant "properly humidfied" by fresh. The cigars in the hotel and other places are very often NOT, and as such they are dry and stale. PS I wouldn't buy a Cohiba if my life depended on it. I much prefer Montecristo, Hoyo de Monterrey, or Romeo Y Julieta in that order. Hope to someday have a smoke with you on the Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Dude View Post
    OK, answer this...if you've gone to Jamaica and taken your own cigars have you taken your own Cubans with you? Does customs at the Jamaican airport care what type of cigars you bring in?

I personally don't smoke that many Cubans due to various reasons but it's been my experience that JA customs really don't care if you bring them in. It's not illegal there. It's bringing them back to the US that's a problem. Technically US citizens are never supposed to purchase them anywhere, even though it's legal there.

We were just a CSS at hte end of july. The free cigar you get from the gift shop is not good at all. I purchased my cigars on the shopping trip in town. There is a cigar shop on the 2nd floor of the mall. Very nice guys working there easy to deal with, they know what they are talking about, and easy to bargain with. I have been a fan of the Jamaican cigars lately. The royal Jamaica's are very nice.

I'll bring plenty with me. I plan on looking for some when I'm at Sans Souci but I know fakes abound! You can bring in 50 per person and I plan on bringing 50 with me! Got to have a nice selection to choose from each day!
    Cigar Dude

Quote Originally Posted by leutym View Post
    We were just a CSS at hte end of july. The free cigar you get from the gift shop is not good at all. I purchased my cigars on the shopping trip in town. There is a cigar shop on the 2nd floor of the mall. Very nice guys working there easy to deal with, they know what they are talking about, and easy to bargain with. I have been a fan of the Jamaican cigars lately. The royal Jamaica's are very nice.

What cigars did you buy? Were they Cuban and were they legit? I believe you are from Canada so you should know what a real Cuban cigar is. What are your thoughts on the shop and exactly where is it?

Any help is appreciated.
    Cigar Dude

the duty free shop at the airport seemed legit

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post

Yes it is, but you can only access it on the way home, not as you're inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    The only problem with that is you can't get to the duty free shop when you land. Or, I've heard you can't anyway. Any ideas?
    Cigar Dude

The only problem with that is you can't get to the duty free shop when you land. Or, I've heard you can't anyway. Any ideas?
    no you can't but if you're looking for a smoke to kill time till your flight leaves it's a good place to stop.

Unless the duty free shop in the airport is an official Habanos S.A. dealer, I would be very leary that any cigar is truly an authentic Cuban cigar. You do not know where the duty free shop is purchasing their inventory. That said, do your homework and search some websites to learn about packaging, cigar bands and stamps on the the box.

Just my 2 cents.....

Yes I am from Canada. The selection at the shop on the resort is poor. I only bought my cubans from the duty free in the airport on the way home. I did however pick up lots of Jamaican cigars from the shop in town, If you go on the shopping trip they will take you to the mall. On the second floor of the mall beside the resteraunt/bar is the cigar shop

Quote Originally Posted by leutym View Post
    Yes I am from Canada. The selection at the shop on the resort is poor. I only bought my cubans from the duty free in the airport on the way home. I did however pick up lots of Jamaican cigars from the shop in town, If you go on the shopping trip they will take you to the mall. On the second floor of the mall beside the resteraunt/bar is the cigar shop
    Did you find the cigars at the resort were legit?

Also, were there any legit Cuban cigars at the cigar shop in town?

Thanks.
    Cigar Dude

Did you find the cigars at the resort were legit?

Also, were there any legit Cuban cigars at the cigar shop in town?

Thanks.
    the cigars at the resort are all fake cubans, little disappointing

Regardless, you can NOT bring them into the USA.

Default DB

If you need any advise or education of conterfeit "Cuban" Cigars, I would go to the CIGAR AFICIONADO home page and click the "Conterfeit Gallery". They have great visuals and very percise information to distinguish what is fake and what is not. Also, Cigarwire.Com had good info as well. Enjoy em!

No, don't really need any help there Donnyb but I'd like to know if anyone has found a place near CSS that sells legit Cubans; if so, where?
    Cigar Dude

Default Remove the label from the cigars

This helps when bringing them in. I doubt anyone at U.S. customs at most airports can tell a cuban without the label.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast