Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gifts for the workers

My husband and I will be at CTI in a few weeks. We went to CN 3 years ago and loved it. I know that you can't tip the staff, but can you give them gifts? Before we went to CN the last time, someone told us that you can give gifts like crayons, hand sanitizer, etc. (things that are hard to get or expensive there). We did that at CN and would like to know if that is still allowed at CTI? Does anyone know? Thanks!!

We go to CSS every year and bring gifts for the staff. I like to bring school supplies for the children, and usually chocolate for the staff. It is a treat for them because chocolate is so expensive for them. But anything is appreciated. Also, please be sure to fill out the survey at the end of the stay, and mention their names, that is one of the best things you can do for them.
    Linda

We took nail polish and bags of M&M's and ball caps. We managed to give it all away as we had super service all week.
    Mike & Martha

CSS 2010, 2013, 2014
    CTI 2011
    CN 2012

Sunglasses for the water sports staff and bartenders are great also...

Sunglasses! What a smart idea!

This whole NO TIPPING has really got me bothered. I certainly do not want to get anyone fired but it seems down right cruel that we are not allowed to tip. For those of you who have been to any of the Couples Resorts before...does the staff really seem to appreciate the gifts? When do you give the staff the gifts?
    We will be there on 8.14.10 for 7 days and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks!
    Eileen

Eileen and all:

There is really no reason to get "bothered" about our no tipping policy. All staff participate in a very generous profit sharing plan.

Try to think of it this way: Imagine that the resort is a theatre putting on a play. Actors (bartenders, waiters, waitresses, etc) are the only employees you see on stage. Yet, there are dozens of people behind the scene helping to ensure that their performance to be the best it can be. While these people are not visible, they are equally important to the success of the play.

You only see the actors...

Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by DandE View Post
    This whole NO TIPPING has really got me bothered. I certainly do not want to get anyone fired but it seems down right cruel that we are not allowed to tip. For those of you who have been to any of the Couples Resorts before...does the staff really seem to appreciate the gifts? When do you give the staff the gifts?
    We will be there on 8.14.10 for 7 days and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks!
    Eileen

I LOVE the no tipping policy and the fact that is it so well enforced and accepted by the staff. It keeps all guests on equal ground and is very evident when you walk around that all of us are treated exactly the same. Also eliminates the need to constantly have money on you when you walk around. Since we are in bathing suits most of the day, if we had to have money, that would really be an issue. The price of the trip is very fair and I commend Couples on the policy and making sure that it is followed by all staff.

Very good explanation Randy

So, about a year ago my husband and I brought gifts for the children of two young men we had met at CSA, on a prior visit. We brought crayons, markers, books etc. We gave it to them on the first day we got there, we were there for nine days. They had to show the gifts to their supervisor, as he had to give them permission to leave the property with these gifts. I also had to write a note to the supervisor saying that we had brought these gifts for these young men. The morning of our last day, they still had not been given the gifts by the supervisor and were not hopeful that they would ever get the gifts. I could not say anything as a few crayons are not worth a job,but I was very angry. I will not call names, but as I am writing this i am getting very upset, because I did not bring gifts for the supervisor's kids. I am not saying this happens all the time,but it happened with me.

Love the explanation Randy, it really fits. Also, as Randy has said many times the best way to "tip" is to mention them on the check-out survey.

As far as do they appreciate the gifts, if their smiles are any indication, they definitely appreciate it the gifts. I remember our first year at Couples we gave some school supplies to our maid, she had 3 children, and the joy she showed was tremendous.

The impression I got from the staff, and I am sure it is due to the policy, is they do not seem to have the "I deserve" attitude you see from other places, especially here in the States. They really do treat you as a friend as long as you treat them with respect, which everyone deserves. So if there is someone you feel deserves tip, be sure to mention them on the survey, and if you want, something small is really appreciated by all.
    Linda

The no-tipping policy is awesome and I love it. I hate the idea of trying to carry cash in my bathing suit! Also, it's nice to know everyone will get the same service, even if I can't shell out a $2 tip on every drink I get. I'm not cheap, but I appreciate not worrying about these things! It's part of the ambiance. Leaving good comments about the service you get is the way you tip.

Default Gifts for Employees, etc.

This November/December will be our first, but probably not our last, trip to Couples and I would also like to know what I can give to the staff that would be a special treat. Also, I'd like to purchase school supplies, and now is a great time as there are lots of back to school sales. Could someone please break down the school supplies needed? Baggage weight is usually a problem so I'd like to get the most needed supplies. Thanks in advance!

Well written Randy, we always wanted to tip but did not because we did not want to get anybody into trouble. Thanks for writing this!

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Eileen and all:

There is really no reason to get "bothered" about our no tipping policy. All staff participate in a very generous profit sharing plan.

Try to think of it this way: Imagine that the resort is a theatre putting on a play. Actors (bartenders, waiters, waitresses, etc) are the only employees you see on stage. Yet, there are dozens of people behind the scene helping to ensure that their performance to be the best it can be. While these people are not visible, they are equally important to the success of the play.

Thank you Randy. Very well said. That leads me to ask a question... I know that the Spa staff are not employees of Couples and can be tipped, but what about those who lead the activities such as hat making and jewelry making? I made a necklace on my last trip and noticed that the gentleman helping was an outside vendor with a table set up. Is that correct? Is tipping customary for those activities?

good question...can someone from couples direct us to a list of people we SHOULD (or CAN) tip? Thanks!

The no tipping policy is one of the reasons we come back. I know they have a way to do the "profit sharing" with the staff and that is why we need to name the best in the exit survey.
    This spring when we came down I packed a backpack full of school supplies and left it with the lady at the front desk. I asked her if she could see to it that a school that needs it would get it. She was very happy to do that. I think it would be better if everyone would just do generic gifts. Other wise it will again be considered tipping only in a differant way. Yes we all have some "favorites", but everyone is good and takes good care of us. We also had a favorte bartender and gave him a "green bay packer" hat. The reason he got that over anyone else was not because he was better than enyone else. We were very impressed that he remembered not only our names and who we were from the year before, but when my husband asked him what "nickname" he called my husband last year he remembered it. Now that is a WOW.
    In my opinion that is deserving of something special that he then can remember us by.
    Respect, Karin

I am pretty sure the vendors that do the crafts are not employeed by couples as is the spa. I dont go to the spa but my wife does and she will tip there.... we have done the tie dying and you have to pay for the shirt and supplies i think... so we didnt tip there.... I agree about liking the no tipping policy but not as convinced that the profit sharing is the end all. 1 month and 3 days until we return home to CTI...

My wife & I were at CSA last April over Easter. I knew that in Jamaica they celebrate Easter Monday as opposed to Sunday like we do in the US. My wife brought a couple of small wicker baskets filled with different chocolates along with Easter cards that we left for the young lady who cleaned our room during the day and the young lady who turned down our beds each night.
    We thought it was rather odd that neither acknowledged receiving them when we saw them after that (we were there for 5 more days). Don't get me wrong, it's not like we were looking for an acknowledgment or a thank you. We were just a little concerned that maybe they were afraid to acknowledge it because that would be an admission that they took the gift and that, by doing so, it would get them in trouble.
    It made us wonder if we shouldn't have left anything. The last thing we would want to do is get a member of the staff in trouble and if Couples has a rule against this, we would certainly respect that.
    Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Eileen and all:

Thank you Randy for taking the time-out to reply to my concern.. I have to admit that your explanation for not tipping seems appropriate. We are really looking forward to our trip!!
    Eileen

I hope Randy can help us:
    My husband & I are having mixed emotions about reading some of these posts. My husband and I have discussed bringing small gifts for the staff who really go out of their way to take care of our needs throughout our stay. We now are having second thoughts as we in no way want to cause ill feelings with those behind the scenes who are just as apprecaited, but not as recognized. We also do not want to cause problems for the staff the gifts are intended for.

Some Ideas:
    Perhaps the resort could collect all of the donations/gifts/school supplies at the front office when we turn in our comment cards and have management distribute them evenly among all their staff. If there were a local school that the staff's children attend, the donations could be distributed to the school instead.

Randy - can you give us your input with possible suggestions on this topic?

Thank You!

Great Idea Julie....continues to keep things evenly spread and eliminates possible resentment among staff.

Quote Originally Posted by cypresspeeps View Post
    Thank you Randy. Very well said. That leads me to ask a question... I know that the Spa staff are not employees of Couples and can be tipped, but what about those who lead the activities such as hat making and jewelry making? I made a necklace on my last trip and noticed that the gentleman helping was an outside vendor with a table set up. Is that correct? Is tipping customary for those activities?
    Can this question be answered by a staff member? Thanks.

I left some yummy Ghirardelli chocolates. None were left, so I guess they enjoyed them! lol The staff is super & can't wait to get back.....

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Appreciate this post. Anxiously waiting. I was thinking about bringing school supplies or something for the children and something for the staff. I was running out of time since I leave in 3 days (Friday). I always hear school supplies, are these hard to come by there or expensive in Jamaica. It seems like it would make sense on a shopping day to purchase in Jamaica to avoid the luggage issue. I know, but then you have to carry around. Chocolates for the staff wouldn't work for me, they would probalby melt before we got to the airport, gets a little hot here in Arizona.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast