Default Macrobiotic diet

Due to health reasons, Karen has been forced onto a macrobiotic diet. Can the kitchen staff at CSA accommodate this?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I'm sure she will find plenty to eat but as with any restrictive diet, it is up to the eater to know what they are eating and avoid things they should not eat. I eat the exactly opposite way, totally avoiding grains, dairy, tubers, legumes, and I eat only meats, nuts, berries, veggies and fruits. I can eat at any restaurant that I have ever been to if I think before I eat. By the way, I LOVE my way of eating and have never felt better…

If it is traditional macrobiotic, then it is primarily brown rice (unbleached, unhusked), vegetables, tamari and small amounts of meat or fish, and maybe some miso soup. Is her diet that strict? If so, I would bring 5 lbs of brown rice and ask the kitchen to cook it, and focus on the pan-fried fish, raw veggies, and maybe the occasional fruit.

I recall a few years ago when the kitchen at CN happily made special vegetarian dishes for an Indian couple who was staying for their honeymoon. But "vegetarian" leaves a lot more room for movement than macrobiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    I'm sure she will find plenty to eat but as with any restrictive diet, it is up to the eater to know what they are eating and avoid things they should not eat. I eat the exactly opposite way, totally avoiding grains, dairy, tubers, legumes, and I eat only meats, nuts, berries, veggies and fruits. I can eat at any restaurant that I have ever been to if I think before I eat. By the way, I LOVE my way of eating and have never felt better…
    Bearso - it sounds as though you follow a Paleolithic "diet" (I hate the D word. . .but you know what I mean). I live the Paleo lifestyle as well, and was concerned about my upcoming trip to CN. I have been to CN in the past but it was before I began following a Paleo lifestyle. I am concerned because I have eaten a very clean Paleo diet for several months, and have not been exposed to gluten, dairy, legumes, or processed sugar/sweetners in this amount of time. I had considered re-introducing a slight amount of gluten into my diet over the weeks leading up to my vacation in order to avoid being sick during vacation if I was accidentally exposed to it. It sounds as if you didn't have any problems though Did you contact the resort ahead of time, or did you find it fairly easy to order off the menu?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jamie & Christie from TX

Jamie-and-Christie

Yup, we are cavers. I actually was not Paleo last time we went but I would not find it hard to eat Paleo at Couples. I think once you go this way got a while, you know how to avoid the pitfalls. As long as you don't go nuts and eat a large amount of grainy something, you will be O.K. Meats even cooked with some amount of flour will not likely make you sick unless you like go whole hog and eating a pizza or huge piece of cake... When out to eat, I usually order a meat like steak and instead of the potato, I go with steamed veggies and then fruit for after.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    Due to health reasons, Karen has been forced onto a macrobiotic diet. Can the kitchen staff at CSA accommodate this?
    Hi. I'm not so familiar with macrobiotic diet. I am curious as to what to kind of specific disease it being recommended. I am thinking that it can be good also to prevent kidney problems. I don't know if you guys are in to organic foods and detox program coz I have a physician friend who recommended this one to me for cleansing of my kidney. However, I still want to consider other diets which will be helpful for kidney cleansing such this macrobiotic diet. I hope you can give some insights on this. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Hi,
    Please feel free to email jasm@couples.com a list of dietary needs and we will forward to the chef at CSA and also have you speak with them directly.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Just want to give a shout out to my fellow Paleo eaters. Never felt or looked better! However, we aren't strict (we love wine and good beer) and certainly won't be 100% on vacation, however it is good to know that couples is amazing as always and tries to accommodate guests dietary needs

Couples food variety is impressive. And while it is not the same, my food restriction is my extreme allergy to shellfish (throat swells, death, that sort of thing). So when the menu for the repeater's dinner this year had surf & turf (shrimp & steak), I wanted to cry. Wonderfully though, someone came by before dinner started and discreetly asked each of us if the menu looked "okay" - I quietly my allergy. No cross contamination AND I got a beautiful piece of salmon with my steak! Everyone at the table was so jealous

It is pretty easy to eat Paleo at any of the resorts. Have a fun trip...wish we were going...