Default CN, Trip Report 8/20-8/29 Good & Bad

Just returned from our 8 couples trip and 3rd to CN. Last visit was 2007 to CN so it has been 3 years.

As usual the staff, food and drinks were terrific.

What we noticed that has changed or been added for the good:

Lychees is terrific. We have been to lemon Grass at CSA so expected the same, but having a second indoor resteraunt with AC at CN is awesome. Even better yet is you don't need reservations like you do at CSA. The food there is terrific.

On the end of the boardwalk between the swim-up bar and the beach grill they have added three outdoor couches. Again this is terrific, especially for watching the movie on the beach or bonfire.

What has changed for the bad:

The boardwalk needs to be replaced. It is a heavily traveled area and splinters ae a definite concern.

The resort next door (if facing the ocen, then on the left) i believe was a Grand Lido. It was purchased by Breezes and thats not good. Loud hip-hop and rap music is what we heard both on the beach and in the water along with a DJ. who used the F'bomb every other word, as they has wet-t shirt, skimpy bikini and to use his words Big Booty contets. Saturday the music was loudest.

The only other noticebale change was the beach grill. In the past you just waited until they called out your order but now you get the red flash lightt hing that vibrates. Some like it and some don't. I am in the don't catergory as it reminds me of Olive Garden or Red Lobster and not the no worry Jamaican pace i am use to.

All in all we had a great time, but next year we will stay at CSA due to the Breezes issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasurer View Post
    . . . . The boardwalk needs to be replaced. It is a heavily traveled area and splinters ae a definite concern . . . .
    I've been saying for years that the boardwalk needs to be replaced. This past March, I got a very large splinter in my big toe, but fortunately I was able to easily extract it. When we visit CN next month, I'm definitely taking a pair of flip flops to wear whenever I find myself in the pool area.

Rudy recently returned from CN and learned that plans are in the works to replace the boardwalk. Sounds like they haven't started yet.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

What has changed for the bad:

The boardwalk needs to be replaced. It is a heavily traveled area and splinters ae a definite concern.

The resort next door (if facing the ocen, then on the left) i believe was a Grand Lido. It was purchased by Breezes and thats not good. Loud hip-hop and rap music is what we heard both on the beach and in the water along with a DJ. who used the F'bomb every other word, as they has wet-t shirt, skimpy bikini and to use his words Big Booty contets. Saturday the music was loudest.
    Thanks for the review Treasurer. This one statement really concerns me. We spend our days on the AN beach when we're at CN. This is right beside Grand Lido/Breezes. We love the peace and serenity of the AN beach. Now it sounds like that's gone. Was this music going all day? I hope there can be some compromised worked out if this loud music continues. It will spoil the atmosphere of the AN beach.

ENJOY!!!

WOW!!! Now this is happening all day long??? When we were there last January, the loud music only went on at night. We were upset that it went on until midnight. If it's now happening all day long, that will be a deal-breaker for us and we'll have to find a different resort. Too bad, because we love CN and will hate to lose our favorite vacation spot. But I'm afraid that what you describe will ruin our upcoming vacation there. We hate loud music, hip-hop, rap (although you can't call hip-hop and rap music!), the F'bomb and activities such as "Big Booty" contests.

Randymon...Seandymon...Can't you do anything about this? Doesn't Jamaica have any laws to protect the peace and tranquility of the island?
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

So disapointed to read they dont have it replaced yet, Its been a year sence I mentioned it, I too got a splinter, and about fell through one part that is/was rotting away. We will be there in 36 days... Note to self... ALWAYS wear your shoes!

We have received a formal apology from Management at Breezes Grand Lido. This was an isolate event that should have been located elsewhere on their property and we have been assured that it will not occur again.

Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    We have received a formal apology from Management at Breezes Grand Lido. This was an isolate event that should have been located elsewhere on their property and we have been assured that it will not occur again.
    We were there two weeks in July and this event never took place at Breezes so I am sure as Randymon said it was an out of the ordinary occurence.

We were there with Colombo (hey Donna & Pete!) and there were no such distractions...only nekkid or near nekkid peeps...you know who you (we) are!!!

Bilkat

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post

Rudy recently returned from CN and learned that plans are in the works to replace the boardwalk. Sounds like they haven't started yet.
    Specifically we were told that the boardwalk will be replaced and that a deposit was already put down for the wood (we had remarked surprise at undertaking such a clearly expensive project during the current economic downturn.) The wood is coming from outside Jamaica and, even if it weren't, given the slow pace of construction we've seen in Jamaica in combination with what will surely be a logistical challenge, we don't expect it to be replaced for several months. Pamela - bet is you'll still need those flip flops in January.

I've posted before that it should be noted certain areas of the boardwalk have been replaced/repaired but agree that the whole thing should be replaced at some point.

Treasurer - sorry to hear about the issues. We were there in July and did not notice any particular noise from Breezes next door, but admittedly were not done on that end much.

yes, we also have recently returned from CN and never heard any of that music coming from Breezes. Don't worry folks. That must have been an isolated incident. I'm going back!

FWIW, Breezes did not purchase Grand Lido. It is still a Superclubs resort, but they dropped the Grand Lido name and rebranded it "Breezes". They also stopped referring to it as a 7-star resort or whatever their claim was. I would expect they might be trying different things to find their market. I would also expect that Couples will not abide by any activities which will infringe upon guest enjoyment at Couples.

Ironically, we used to joke about whether there was anyone actually staying at GL Negril next door. We'd have 10 couples on the a/n beach at couples, and all we could see at GLN were empty lounges, and maybe a couple of eighty-year-old guys picking up shells.

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Randymon! We just love CN and the AN beach. It is so darn peaceful there. I'm glad this was an isolated incident.

By the way, if I haven't said so previously, that was a fabulous job you in did on the Toronto radio station a few weeks ago. We listened to the show and said to each other, "No wonder we love this place so much." we also said, "Geez, now more people will be wanting to go to Couples." ... which is great!!!!

ENJOY!!!

Oops double post
    Last edited by columbo; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilkat View Post
    We were there with Colombo (hey Donna & Pete!) and there were no such distractions...only nekkid or near nekkid peeps...you know who you (we) are!!!

Bilkat
    Yes Bilkat we know and you know (and a few others) had a fantastic time with everyone, maybe again next July, but we are goung back in February. Hope all is well on your end