Default Help craving Jerk Chicken

Since I have left Jamaica I have had a strong craving for Jerk Chicken. I purchased items from the island Eatons Jamaica Sauce and Barbaque sauce and have been unsuccessful. I have searched the internet for recipes too. I would appreciate help and suggestions. I am not going to survive without it. That was one of my favorites, and I thought I'd be okay when I came home with sauces.

Thanks Sogo

I'm a fan of Walkers Woods Jerk Seasoning. YOu can get the paste that you then mix with oil and water, from what I recall, or the pre-mixed, ready-to-use bottle. I've ordered from cosmicchile.com, but also bought it at the grocery store. I've seen it at World Market, and a local place around us (Woodmans, but they are only in WI and northern IL). Whole Foods may have it.

I'd try penzy's they do a fantastic spice blend. You can use that spice blend to make the sauce to your taste.

Thanks for the information...I will try this. I will need to accomplish this until I make it back home.

Sogo;

Where do you live? Rather than try to make jerk chicken yourself, find a really good Jamaican restaurant! My husband and I go to a Jamaican restaurant for dinner every Thursday night to get a "fix." It makes the waiting for our next trip to Couples bearable!

I wish there was a spot that served up Jamaican foods...No where around here. I would be there weekly too. Thanks for the feedback though and I should open one up. I have been discussing this for years.

WalkersWood is really good. multiple places on the web t oget it..ebay etc..

Agreed on the Walkerswood. I thought Julianna's was a close 2nd.

Walkerswood as well for the grill. We do not dilute it, however.

This is the best seasoning we have found....funny its made for a Maryland spice shop. http://flamingoflats.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=18

I might be willing to send a sample of my dry rub and a sauce that I've tweeked which my wife and I can't get enough of. Got a nice kick to it. Where are you from?

I got a line on some 'genuine Jamaican' in the form of a fellow named Derrick Samuels, who happens to be Jamaican. He offers jerk seasonings, spices, rubs, sauces, marinades & vegetables in flavored vinegar. I've not used his goods yet(as I still have some Eaton's I got at CN), but he comes highly recommended. Go to www.genuinejamaican.com and see what he's got.

Peace,
    TonyS

I have a good recipe that I've tried and it comes out great. I'm at work and don't have the exact one, but here is one I found quick and its very similar if not exact.

One 3 1/2 lb chicken (3lb of chicken breasts may be used if preferred)
    6 sliced scotch bonnet peppers (jalapenos may be used if scotch bonnet peppers are unavailable)
    2 Tbsp. thyme
    2 Tbsp. ground allspice
    8 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 Medium onions, finely chopped

2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 Tbsp. salt
    2 Tsp. ground black pepper

1 to 2 Tsp of the following (to taste)
    -ground cinnamon
    -nutmeg
    -ginger

1/2 cup olive oil (I use half as much oil and half water if needed)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    Juice of one lime
    1 cup orange juice
    1 cup white vinegar

The way I do it, is find the marinade recipe, marinate the chicken in it for 24 hours or overnight, then take the chicken out and smoke in my smoker to cook it up.

With the reserved sauce I then bring it to a boil to kill off the bacteria from the raw chicken, (or a seperate batch of sauce with the same ingredients) and mix it with ketchup until you get the correct consistancy and you end up with a jerk chicken bbq sauce.

I had a party and all the guests loved it, the sauce (finished bbq sauce)was preferred over a bottle of jerk bbq sauce I had brought back from Jamaica

Smoking the chicken is key to getting good jerk chicken results.

Randymon posted the Couples' recipe for jerk chicken a while back. I hope it's ok to repost it. It's a bit of work, but I consider it a labor of love. The result is absolutely fantastic. Here it is:

Couples Resorts’ Jerk Chicken Recipe

Ingredients:
    6 scallions, green only, thinly sliced
    2 large shallots, finely minced
    2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon seeded, finely chopped Scotch Bonnet (or Habanero) pepper
    1 tablespoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
    ½ cup fresh orange juice
    ½ cup rice vinegar
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup olive oil
    2 chickens, quartered

Directions:
    • In a small bowl, combine scallion greens, shallots, garlic, ginger, and scotch bonnet pepper.
    • In another bowl, combine spices, salt and sugar. Mix thoroughly. Whisk in OJ, vinegars and soy sauce. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly. Add scallion mixture, stir to combine. Let rest for 1 hour.
    • Wash chicken quarters well, pat dry, and place in bowl. Add sauce, rub in well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    • Preheat oven to 350F. Remove marinated chicken to shallow roasting pan. Pre-bake 45 minutes, turning occasionally.

To Finish:
    Grill chicken over medium heat 25 to 30 minutes, turning 4 to 5 times and dabbing with remaining marinade.

I also offer a few suggestions from my personal experience with this recipe:
    • I found 1 seeded habanero provided very little heat. 3 habs with seeds was better.
    • I preferred to put all ingredients (except chicken) in a blender and puree it.
    • Marinate chicken in a closed container and shake it up periodically.
    • Chicken quarters or thighs worked best.
    • Bake chicken skin side up. No need to turn unless it starts to burn.
    • Grill just long enough to make the skin crisp and to brown both sides.
    • If you plan to use the marinade to baste on the grill or at the table, be sure to boil it.

Enjoy! It's worth the effort!

I live in Columbus, Ohio I would be happy to try your seasonings.

I live in Columbus, Ohio and would to try some of your spices.

Allspice, onion, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, brown sugar, olive oil, scotch bonnets, & most important of all - Appleton rum (adjust all amounts to taste).
    Marinate over night, grill on low heat.

Sogo, e-mail me at matts@vanum.net and I'll send you some. I need to send some to my wifes aunt and uncle in Oregon and would like to do them both at once. You'll love it.