Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can you get rum cream in the U.S.?

First trip to CTI and keep reading about rum cream. Bringing liquor back is somewhat of a nuisance with customs so I was wondering if large liquor chains in the U.S. typically carry it.

My husband and I just bought some at a local liquor store a couple weeks ago and made some Humming Birds at home. They were yummy!

we got it at binnies beverage depot in chicago. no stores that we checked in iowa carried it. good luck

I have not been able to find it.

I have never seen it... I was told by some bartenders in Jamaica that Baily's is an ok sub for it...

Cruzan makes a Rum Cream in St.Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. It can usually be found in the larger liquor stores that carry Cruzan Rum.

Now that said, in my opinion it is nowhere near the flavor or quality of the rum creams made in Jamaica. I would highly suggest bringing some back from Jamaica. We prefer Sangster's Rum Cream but Lillifield's (sp?) is good too. I believe that you can bring back 4 liters of liquor without any issues. In 2009 we brought back 6 bottles and had to pay a big duty of $3. If you buy it at the airport in Jamaica on your way out (really good prices at Sunshine Liquors in the airport) they will pack it up for you so that you can just carry it on the plane with you. Now if you have a direct nonstop flight back home you will not have to pack it in your bags at all, but if you have a connecting flight after you go through U.S. Customs you will need to repack it in your checked luggage due to the liquid restrictions on American flights.

On another note, we tried to buy some online once from Red Pepper Mall (a supposedly reputable company) but ended getting screwed out of over $100. They took our money, never shipped it and would not answer my emails (many sent). Also, when you call then you get an answering service in which they never return your calls. Just a warning!!!
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

We found Cruzan rum cream at one of our larger liquor stores in Denver. None of the smaller stores carry it. We enjoyed it in a batch of dirty bananas we made for a party a few weeks ago. Not the same as sitting in the pool bar at CN, but we still enjoyed them!

What all do you use it for?

We purchased the Cruzan rum cream at ABC Liquor store in Florida.

There was a recipe on the message board some time ago to make your own rum cream. We tried it once a couple years ago and it was pretty good. If I find the recipe I will post it here. Maybe someone else will have it before I can find it though. It ain't Jamaican, but it was fun to make our own "home brew".

I have made Hummingbirds with the Cruzan rum creme but I usually just pour over ice and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimebrad View Post
    I drink it on the rocks. Yum!

I've never had rum cream but I was wondering if it is similar to the Amaretto cream that we can buy here?

The best way to enjoy rum cream is as a "Nutty Jamaican"!!! It is rum cream and Frangelico on the rocks. WOW! They are SO good! Yes, you can make a "Nutty Irishman" with Baileys and it does in a pinch. I agree with the poster who said there is just nothing like the rum cream you bring back from "home". I have found it occasionally in stores. I look everywhere and if I do find some I buy a lot. Maybe it is seasonal here?

Not sure where you are, but here in California we have a store called BEVMO and they carry Rum Cream

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    I believe that you can bring back 4 liters of liquor without any issues. In 2009 we brought back 6 bottles and had to pay a big duty of $3.
    I'm pretty sure there's not a limit rum cream. We bought back 8 bottles in May with no problem, except trying to not exceed the weight limits

Quote Originally Posted by scf8914 View Post
    First trip to CTI and keep reading about rum cream. Bringing liquor back is somewhat of a nuisance with customs so I was wondering if large liquor chains in the U.S. typically carry it.
    ...Depends on where you live I guess. I haven't found ANY Jamaican Run Creams around here. Also have looked in Detroit and Memphis. When we go to CSS next month, I'm loading up.

The lager stores do but it's not Jamaican.

I've not found any stores locally that sell Jamaican rum cream, but you can order it online from the following website:
    https://www.reggaetreats.com/index.asp

Be prepared to pay a premium price for it though...especially compared to the cost in Jamaica!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

While you are in Jamaica, be sure to try some banana rum cream as well. SOOOO good on the rocks!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

RUM CREAM RECIPE:

one 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup dark rum (Appleton's the best)*
    2 cups (1 pint) whipping cream
    1/4 cup chocolate syrup (Hershey's is fine)
    1 oz coffee liquor (Tia Maria or Kaluha)
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp coconut extract

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Whirl at high speed until well blended and smooth. Cover tightly and store in refridgerator up to two weeks. Stir before serving.
    *You can also use coconut rum and omit the coconut extract

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by scf8914 View Post
    .....Coming home from CN, I stopped at the Duty Free Store in the airport. Got my "Limit", including one (1) bottle of Rum Cream. Pineapple Flavored. I would like to tell you how good it was, but my wife got into it when we got home and knocked it off before I even tasted it. I'm going to load up when we go in October!

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime Brad View Post
    .....Some mix it, some add it too coffee (pretty good that way). I prefer it "on the rocks". Makes for a nice evening drink.

Here is a recipe for Rum Cream that I have made. It is very close to Sangster's and it only takes 30 min to make including prep time. I have formulated this recipe after many batches and modifying it each time. This is not for the diet watchers. Enjoy.

1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
    1 Cup Heavy Cream
    1 ½ Cup Appleton Dark Rum (Appleton has that special flavor needed)

1 oz Dark Caramel Syrup
    ½ oz Gourmet Chocolate (I used Ghirardelli)
    6 tsp Blue Mountain fresh ground coffee (this gives it the authentic flavor)

2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Goldschläger Liqueur (for a light cinnamon flavor)

1. Put coffee into a coffee press and add the rum. Soak the coffee and rum until Step 7.
    2. Put cream in a pot and bring to a simmer
    3. Add the chocolate to the cream and stir until completely melted
    4. Remove the pot from the heat source
    5. Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and caramel to the pot
    6. Stir until completely combined
    7. Add the rum and Goldschlager and stir
    8. Using a hand or stick blender, blend for two minutes to emulsify the mixture
    9. Pour into bottle and store in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

All items should be able to be bought at local stores. (at least here in the US)
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

We live in Pennsylvania and we have state-run liquor stores. They do not carry Cruzan Rum Cream, but I was able to special order it. At first I was concerned about the minimum order of 6 bottles, but we were able to finish them off quite easily making Dirty Bananas and Hummingbirds! In October we go to CN and I will definitely bring some back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast