Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Landing at Montego Bay

Do incoming planes have a circle decent or do they straight-line it in to the airport. I'm going to assume a majority of traffic comes from the north.

May be an odd ?, but I get severe pressure build-up and the type of decent/landing makes a huge difference in how my first couple of days on the island will go. Straight in and I can't hear a thing and have earaches for 2 or 3 days. Everything sounds like I'm under water til the ears pop. A gradual circular decent and I'm fine.

We fly in with a gradual descent and straight, no circling, gently land on the runway. I am always amazed at how perfectly the plane lands. Look out the window, the view is amazing and relax.

Though the descent is gradual on a typical landing from most planes, it is not circular, but rather a southerly route followed by banking to the East over Lucea and into MBJ. Weather conditions obviously can change this.

We really enjoy the barrell roll on approach... really loosens up the over head luggage... it is noit a circle descent... but i cant say this that it is very gradual....

Good question! I have a same problem! Any idea how to alleviate the pain? I get this pressure in my ears that makes me half-deaf and in intense pain until a short time after the plane lands (length and severity depends on altitude changes) At it's worst, I've been hard of hearing for 2 full days with sharp pain in my ears for a few hours after landing. I had tears in my eyes on the plane, and my fiance thought I was insane...but it really does hurt bad enough to ruin the first day of a trip!

i'm not sure if this will help, but my mother has exactly that problem--although we've never connected it to the type of landing. anyway, she has major ear problems for days after she flies--but for the last few trips we got her Earplanes ear plugs and the problem was completely solved. they are developed specifically for flying and when used as the box suggests (an hour before landing, i think?)--it was her ear saver.

we got hers at the airport news stand, however i've also seen then at Rite Aid, and on drugstore.com

good luck!

Depends on the route and airline. Mostly straight coming from east coast US.

We have always come straight in. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. He/she might have something to can do or take to prevent your situation.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

You go west of the island and come directly at the runway (straight approach) along the top of the island (going west to east). Rarely, if there's traffic, you circle, but generally, it's straight in. But it's a very, very, very gradual descent. Then, when you leave, you go straight east, turn left and head north back to the US. Hopefully, there are no pressure problems.

I had the same problem with my ears and then I discovered Ear Planes. They are this special type of ear plug that helps prevent the pressure buildup. You almost screw them in your ears and you put them in about 1 hour before landing. There is a metal ball inside the plug that prevents your ears from building that pressure. You do not take them out until they open the doors of the plane. I have used these for the last seven years and it has been a god send when I get off the plane.

You can get them at Walmart in the pharmacy area by the other ear devices.

Yep. We have never had one that wasn't straight in. And that would be 7 flights.

OMG Scottynkim...LMAO!!! On a previous trip (loooong ago) my dad, who was terrified of flying, was always afraid we'd land in the water before we even got to the runway, the end of which used to be about 10 feet (slight exaggeration!) from the water! The highway had crossing arms that came down whenever a plane landed!! I'm presuming that they changed that approach since then??

Sort of OT here, but isn't looking out the window of the plane just the best as you approach MBJ?

All you see is ocean as the plane descends, water, water, water.

Hey, we're getting awfully close to the water!! Where's the island?

All of a sudden.... land ho! And there's the runway.

Coolest landing view I've ever experienced. And I never get tired of it.

Wow, thanks everyone I'm def going to look into those Air Plugs. Hope they have them in Canada, otherwise I'll be ordering them online for sure.

I've gotten some of the best info on this MB

The only time I've ever had a swift, circular descent was landing in Baghdad in 2004. Felt like my head was going to explode but better that than our plane.

I wonder if you could make a request to the pilot or ask a flight attendant to ask the pilot????

What Dirtleg said water, water, closer to water ,thinkin the wheels are gonna get wet, sand, concrete you are down lets get this party started....
    ARE WE THERE YET??

Hey, Jenpatrick, let me guess, military? If so we thankyou for your service..
    ARE WE THERE YET??

For what's it worth.......I've been w/o any of the above mentioned problems since the ENT doc told me to pinch/hold my nostrils often while flying, until your ears pop. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    Sort of OT here, but isn't looking out the window of the plane just the best as you approach MBJ?

All you see is ocean as the plane descends, water, water, water.

Hey, we're getting awfully close to the water!! Where's the island?

All of a sudden.... land ho! And there's the runway.

Coolest landing view I've ever experienced. And I never get tired of it.

um.... thanks for that, I think?

P.S. While pinching/holding nostrils, it's a good idea to breathe...try blowing...until your ears pop!!!!

Seems like everyone else flew straight in, we, however, flew pararell east to the coast, came back west and then landed east bound, geiving us a nice view of what was to come. It all depends on the weather and who's behind the wheel!

We stayed at a resort close to the Hip Strip (before we discovered Couples) and it had a full view of the planes coming in over the water and landing. It actually wasn't noisy and was quite a nice sight to see them over the water. In 7 days we never saw planes come in any other way. So I would count on a straight descent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_&_Mike View Post
    Wow, thanks everyone I'm def going to look into those Air Plugs. Hope they have them in Canada, otherwise I'll be ordering them online for sure.

I've gotten some of the best info on this MB
    The have them in Canada... they are called the Air Plugs Eh!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkim View Post
    The have them in Canada... they are called the Air Plugs Eh!!

lolol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast