Default Cuban Cigars at CSS?

Going to CSS in October. Would like to enjoy a nice Cuban while there.

I have heard that you can ask your shuttle driver - from the airport to CSS- (and negotiate a fee) to stop somewhere you can buy a Cuban. Has anyone done this? Is this legit?

I don't really want to wait for a shopping trip into town once on the resort.

Any input is appreciated!

-46 days to go!!!!

From the research i've done the odds of getting a legit cuban anywhere on the island are quite low. the ones in the duty free shop are 100% fake, seems kinda low class for these fine resorts but it is what it is. I'd personally like to see the fakes removed and either replaced with real cubans or some good quality domicinan or nicarguian cigars.

Buy fron the shop on Resort.

Bought from the Jewel Box at CSS.

The Cohiba by Jeff Brint, on Flickr

Trying a Cuban Cohiba by Jeff Brint, on Flickr
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Love, love Cohibas! I prefer the minis, tho
    Last edited by wileeandrr; September 13th, 2010 at 08:33 AM.

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

you can find very easily online how to spot a fake Cuban...I've had the dominican Monte Cristos and I can taste the difference. There is a shop at the Time Square mall that you can take the shopping shuttle to and he's legit. Don't ask the bus driver or any other driver because they will take you to someone that they know and that is where you end up with the fakes. Also they usually have a guy at the resort a couple of nights. He was happy to show us the sealed box and then open it and sell to us. Also try some of the Jamaican Cigars...we had a couple Blue Mountain ones that were amazing!! Like I said...do your research. We even bought a book on clearance that told us how to tell the real from the fake Cubans. Oh and I personally prefer the Monte Cristos...get the number 2 tubo's. Not impressed with the Cohiba's. And make sure you have a glass of rum cream with your cigar...it will become your nightly ritual!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    Bought from the Jewel Box at CSS.

The Cohiba by Jeff Brint, on Flickr

Trying a Cuban Cohiba by Jeff Brint, on Flickr
    hate to tell ya mon, but it's fake

Default Cuban cigar

That Cohiba is fake....Bummer!!

Yep...it fake! That sucks!

Now, I see an embossed, proper 15mm band...the cap is already cut...

What did I miss in Jeff's pic?

I did spot a few AWFUL fakes around this year.

Guess it lets us know about the items in the Jewel Box at CSS!!!
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Now, I see an embossed, proper 15mm band...the cap is already cut...

What did I miss in Jeff's pic?

I did spot a few AWFUL fakes around this year.
    the band is wrong, the dots above the word "cohiba" aren't correct and, to my knowledge, cohiba has never made a "reserva

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    the band is wrong, the dots above the word "cohiba" aren't correct and, to my knowledge, cohiba has never made a "reserva
    http://www.topcubans.com/cuban-cigar...idcateitem=513
    They do make a "Reserva".

I still can't see the fault in the dots.

They did make a Reserva but it was only made for a festival in 2003 I believe, and they were very rare. As Cigarmanpa said, the bands are wrong, and more importantly, the wrapper is way too dark (maduro). The Cohiba Maduro line has only been around since mide 2007 and they aren't Reserva nor that sizing.

Hate to tell you Cigarmanpa but Cohiba has made a Gran Reserva since around 2002. Sooooo.........

Personally I wouldn't begin to authenticate one from that picture. What I see looks good but unless I had it in my hand I'd be hard pressed to say either way. It does appear that the word Cohiba is embossed and not just printed from the picture. Most fakes won't be embossed. They don't go to the extra expense.

You are familiar with the "new" style Cohiba band, right? Personally I think this one looks fine. I'd be kinda slow about maligning the resort's Gift Shop unless I was really really sure.

A friend of mine whose opinion I respect was recently at CSA and he said what they had were legit.

How about the cigar shop at the Montego airport, are the cubans fake there too? Perhaps the management at CSS should not allow fake cubans be sold anywhere on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    Hate to tell you Cigarmanpa but Cohiba has made a Gran Reserva since around 2002. Sooooo.........

Personally I wouldn't begin to authenticate one from that picture. What I see looks good but unless I had it in my hand I'd be hard pressed to say either way. It does appear that the word Cohiba is embossed and not just printed from the picture. Most fakes won't be embossed. They don't go to the extra expense.

You are familiar with the "new" style Cohiba band, right? Personally I think this one looks fine. I'd be kinda slow about maligning the resort's Gift Shop unless I was really really sure.

A friend of mine whose opinion I respect was recently at CSA and he said what they had were legit.
    you're right they do make one, on that note I was wrong. However, the two boxes I looked at while at css were fake. I am 100% sure of it

Sadly, I must agree. While at the resort I checked out the cigars sold there and found some disturbing things missing from the boxes. I ruled them as fakes. They looked nice but they were fakes. I don't understand that either as they could easily sell legitimate Cubans. That would really be a draw too. I'd love to give them business and was more than willing to do so. I'm glad I brought my own. As far as negatives on the resort, this would be my only one. If I could appeal to the Couples management; supply and sell legitimate Cuban cigars at your Jamaica resorts. (please)
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Dude View Post
    Sadly, I must agree. While at the resort I checked out the cigars sold there and found some disturbing things missing from the boxes. I ruled them as fakes. They looked nice but they were fakes. I don't understand that either as they could easily sell legitimate Cubans. That would really be a draw too. I'd love to give them business and was more than willing to do so. I'm glad I brought my own. As far as negatives on the resort, this would be my only one. If I could appeal to the Couples management; supply and sell legitimate Cuban cigars at your Jamaica resorts. (please)
    Are the gift shops sublet out or does Couples own and manage them? I'm sure the reason for fakes is that the profit margin is much, much better.