Default Couples compared to the "Other" resort

Hey everyone,

I have been to the Dunn's River "S" place twice before and we were planning another trip-only to find out it is under new ownership. I checked out the "deal" they had and it wasn't that great-in fact, I looked up their pricing again after only a few days and they raised their prices $150/night.

I then went shopping around and thought I would give Couples and the Negril area a try; since we have never been to Negril.

Well, I decided on CSA and booked a bfvs. Then the new Jewel place sent out an email showing a new offer and they decreased their prices. I would be saving quite a bit by going with them (over $2000.00). However, the room would be a concierge room w/balcony and a view of the ocean. Not at all like the bfvs.

Money is important; however, I want to do something different and Couples sounds (from all of the reviews) like it is quite nice.

Am I crazy to choose CSA over saving a couple thousand? Is it worth the change? I just don't want to regret my decision. What do y'all think?

We LOVE CSA and love Negril. You need to spend the extra money and enjoy. Be adventurous and try new things. You won't regret giving Couples a try.

Stick with Couples! Sure, there are cheaper options out there, but you get what you pay for. The staff, the service, the food, the atmosphere and all the inclusions at Couples make it worth it.

I can't in all honesty, answer your question properly, as I have not been to the other AI, nor really cared to look at it as an option for several years now.

All I can say is this. After reading your post, I felt no need to reconsider my choice to go to CSA this December, and the next December after that.

You won't regret it!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

We've been to a number of all-inclusives in Jamaica. Couples Negril is our favorite, we've been there 11 or 12 times, and we have reservations for early Summer 2011.

However, we just returned from Jamaica for a long Labor Day weekend. We looked for the cheapest AI price. At the Couples price, even with discounts, we would not have gone. So for us, the price difference defined whether we went a second time or not.

We've stayed at the "Su..." resorts but never the "Sa..." resorts. We walked by the "Sa" resort on the long part of the 7-mile last week and it was empty, the water was completely filled with algae, and their beach bar/grill was not open at 2 in the afternoon. But would I stay there if the price was low enough? Perhaps.

This gets to the tricky part - what is the answer for you? Hard to say, because $2000 is a lot to some, not so much to others. But if I were you, I would treat myself to the Couples experience at least once, but I'd switch to Couples Negril ;-) Also, go to a cheaper room category to save money (who stays in the room?).

Email negril7 at gmail dot com for any details.

Have you checked Tripadvisor.com to compare reviews? We considered trying something new in November since we've been to CSA twice. I checked Tripadvisor on every place we considered and they all had several negative reviews.
    At that point I assumed that people are just picky and checked the reviews of CSA, knowing if people also had negative things to say about it, they're just looking for something to complain about.
    As it turns out, CSA has almost all exceptional reviews.
    So I figured that I'd just spend my vaca comparing everything to CSA and wishing I was there, so we just booked our 3rd trip back (2nd this year)!
    It's truly heavenly.

Hi, we are going to CSS and Jamaica for the very first time this November as I wanted somewhere special to celebrate my 60th birthday. Therefore I have done a lot of research and I have read somewhere that two different couples were comparing notes on their resorts on the flight home from Jamaica. The couple who stayed at the Other(S)resort could not get over how much was included in the price at the Couples Resort and really regretted not going there...BIG TIME! I was thinking that the Other resort was going to be our destination, but not any more. I will post a review when we return on here so you can see what we thought.

I made a spreadsheet at work that compared the top 5 all inclusives in Negril based on similar room types. After you put a value to tipping policies, extras, excursions, beach quality, service, food and actual inclusions, Couples comes out far ahead. If you just want to go cheap then there is always a cheaper option but for a week long trip that most of us can't afford very often, it's a no brainer to go to CSA.

Default thank you

Thank you so much for your replies. They definitely helped me so much. I do want something different and will have to definitely weigh out the differences of each place. I really want to try a Couples resort.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Be careful. Many AIs and especially the "S" nickel and dime you to death, so paying more upfront for Couples may not be as bad a deal as it seems. Actually, I am surprised that Couples prices out at 2k more, every time I have done the research, Couples has been less expensive.

I was brought to this board because I found that I could get the top dollar room and with flight for less than my middle ground room at an Sa resort in the same area(negril).

We are booked for the first time at CSS in a week and a wake up or two. We did a LOT of research before we booked, looking at cruises, AIs in Mexico, Costa Rica, and others. Yes, CSS is a bit more spendy than some of the others, but for what we wanted, and the style of resort that we were looking for, CSS won out, even though we paid a couple K more than what we could have gotten elsewhere. Again, it's not the accomodations so much as what you get for the money. Somethine else to consider is the population of the resort. At capacity, CSS is a smaller, more intimate sized resort. I don't want to be "That woman in 209."

The only reason that thae new resort is pricing out so much lower than Couples is because they are having an opening special. Buy 2 nights get one free. Friends of our just booked and paid 2200 for 7 nights in the second most expensive room. If they were to book it today, using an online company, it would cost over 4500. You have to book with the resort directly to get the deal. Once the opening special is over, the rates will be much higher than Couples.