Default Update on acceptable topics .....

Not to be a total smart-@$$, (OK, maybe so) but can we get a list of acceptable and unacceptable topics for the board ???

I will be HIGHLY surprised if this is posted anyway ......

Seems lately, I spend more time reading and trying to find topics that I know will not be there for long. In the past, it seemed like as long as someone wasn't being flat-out mean or rude, there could be a discussion or explanation of different views and opinions .....

Yes, I love Couples and I plan on returning every year as long as possible. No, I don't spend all my time making negative comments. In fact, I don't post very often, but I do give an honest opinion and answer.

Now it seems like if you step outside that narrow boundary or topics, the post is not allowed or is closed or removed.

Rooms = OK
    Food = OK
    Which resort = OK
    Specials = OK
    Complimentary reviews = OK
    Clothes = OK

Other resorts = Not OK (Unless you use "S" in the post. Wow, can't figure that one out)
    Other excursions = Not OK (Except if you don't specifically name them)
    Any criticism = Not OK
    Any disagreement = Not OK (Yes, Couples has the right to do WHATEVER it wants)
    Being "sarcastic" = Not OK (Like I would EVER do anything like that...)
    Encourage others to treat guests and employees with respect - Not OK (Thread closed)
    Towels = Not OK (Thread closed) -- Oh yeah, "Don't hang on Railing"
    Question topics being closed = Not OK (Thread closed)

I'm just saying .................................................. ...............................
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!

It's pretty obvious that anything that casts a negative light on Couples is going to be removed.

Not that I don't like Couples, I love it. I just don't agree with the censorship on the website here. It kind of presents a one-sided view.

I also love Couples and other then health or financial reasons would never stop going no matter how much they changed things. But there are times when certain posts just rub me the wrong way and I have to reply, usually they are not posted or partially posted with anything negative taken out, I find this so funny because I could easily post a comment on Trip Advisor and more people would see it than the people who are on this message board. So to me it doesn't make any sense but as you said "Couples has the right to do anything they want".
    Dianavr

OK this made the board, in spite of your doubts, so I am taking a chance the it will remain long enough to get some responses also posted.

While I understand your frustration and apparent indignation about the threads that seem to disappear or become "closed" to further comments, keep in mind what the corporate philosophy is for this message board. It is provided and maintained by Couples for the benefit of their past, present and future guests. It is a vehicle for those with questions to acquire information and answers. It is a place, for those that wish, to socialize and converse in a civil way about common interests, usually Couples related, but not always. Many times complaints or issues concerning disappointment or disagreement with Couples overall or individual resort policy or practices is posted and allowed to run it's course for responses both in agreement and disagreement. Often these threads develop into spirited, but civil, debate that raise excellent points both pro and con. Comments and suggestions have even, on occasion, moved Couples to change policy in order to improve service and relationship with their guests. There have been threads on subjects as varied as prayer requests to home brew rum cream recipes. Meet up arrangements to bargain bikini sources, marriage proposal ideas to sorrowful death announcements.

It is not intended to be an instrument for expressing personal gripes or flaming those that disagree with a particular opinion not shared. They don't allow disparaging remarks about individuals, groups or even the competition in order to maintain a civil atmosphere on the message board for all that participate. Occasionally what starts out as an innocuous thread with a simple request, observation or inquiry suddenly becomes a confrontational arena that quickly boils down to personal jabs or a soap box for some opinion or another. While this is not very common or even what I would call a regular occurrence, I have seen it happen many times over the years that I have been hanging around here. When things get out of hand, or over the line, the thread is closed or even removed. We often, and probably most of the time, are not privy to the straw that broke the camels back on these decisions. It is my assumption that some response or host of responses are deemed to be beyond good taste or have violated the simple rules of the message board and they never see the light of day. If the thread has become too controversial or confrontational in a personal way, it is "disappeared". If a subject has reached a point of repeated ideas or responses, it may be closed so that folks will move on.

I have long maintained that this is one of the most pleasant and fairly run boards that I have had the pleasure of frequenting. No one is allowed to go over the line. There are no favorites and no one is given special dispensation for their posts. And yes, if you are wondering, I have personally had posts turned down from being published on the board.

So, to end this spiel. It is only a message board. It is a message board for a vacation resort. It is not the New York Times or Washington Post, there is no constitutional issue of free speech or subjugation there of. Read, post and have fun with it. It really ain't all that.

Likewise, I'm just sayin'.....

Seems like a valid question(s).

The past 6 months or so the tone and information level of the board has changed and the pace has slowed way, way down. We're not really sure why.

The fact that I read this means you need to update you not OK list.

Couples Message Board Rules

Registration to the Couples Resorts Message Board is required and free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Couples Resorts Message Board will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Couples Resorts Message Board, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

The Couples Message Board is for polite, thoughtful discussion and inquiries about Couples Resorts only. Posts that are abusive, off subject, silly, containing personal attacks, threats, name calling libels, illegal activities, or hate group messages will not be allowed. By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Advertising will not be permitted, except by permission, or contract. Couples Resorts reserves the right to reject or edit posts for any reason, but specifically prohibits naming other resorts or resort chains, travel agent or tour companies, other destinations, offsite and/or third party vendors/service providers and other websites or links.

Couples Resorts strictly prohibits solicitation of businesses and/or services on this message board, including, but not limited to add company name and/or contact information in user signatures.

Anyone who wishes to participate on the Couples Message Board is welcome to do so, but their anonymity cannot be guaranteed from exposure by other Couples Message Board participants. Participants who wish to post on Couples Message Board do so at their own risk of exposure.

The information you provide during sign up will be not be passed on to any parties outside Couples Resorts and is used only to understand the demographics and character of our audience. Couples Resorts reserves the right to send occasional announcements to the email address you provide. Any email sent will contain links to unsubscribe from future emails or to allow others to sign up to receive our email announcements. We try our best to only send to those who wish to receive our communications and respect ethical email practices.

Participants are kindly requested to address the entire Couples Message Board in their posts and to only address other participants by their Couples Message Board names. Please always address the Couples Message Board in a polite manner

Pictures or text that you post must be your property. Once posted, you agree that the pictures or posted text may be used by Couples Resorts at our discretion. If you post pictures or quote text that is borrowed from a permitted outside source, they must be credited to their owners by name and link, if one exists. Any such items posted must be permitted for posting by their owners.

This site is owned by Couples Resorts and is maintained by Couples Resorts and contracted sources. While free discourse will be allowed as much as possible, all participation in this Couples Message Board and any decisions regarding the allowing of messages or blocking of participation is solely the decision of Couples Resorts. By signing up for the Couples Message Board you are agreeing to the terms stated above.

These conditions may be subject to change and additions without notice. Please periodically review these conditions.

Couples Resorts

Dirtleg has not only nailed it, but done so eloquently. I've read some public MBs affiliated with media outlets. The venom, hateful language, and personal attacks are cringe-worthy. Is the Couples MB my own personal "happy place?" Yes, it is. Is it sanitized to some extent? Yes, but they have every right to do so. I see negative comments on this board all of the time, and I've been a poster since 2005. There are other on-line forums for posting. If you feel you are not getting the entire Couples picture, check out those forums. But I'll tell you, the reviews there are mostly positive, too, with a few negatives, just like the board. This is reflective of the quality experience that you receive at Couples.

Well it is their message board, they can control whatever gets said on it.

Months ago, how many Toyota ads did you see that said, "Drive Toyota! Maybe we'll stop, maybe we won't!"

This message board is a form of advertising for Couples. I think it is a stretch to assume that any company that has a communication media available such as this should be expected to allow any comments be posted without the right of censor. Similar to a previous poster, it Couples' sandbox. They make the rules here. As it should be.

To me it is fairly obvious that this message board will be slanted to the benefit of Couples. Again, as it is their sandbox, I have no problem with that. I just keep that in the back of my mind as I read what is available. That being said, there is still a tremendous wealth of very useful information provided here, in my opinion.

Thank you Couples for allowing this forum.
    Last edited by NeedBlueWater; September 14th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Default Things change

I've been here in one form or another for over 5 years.

What Randymon and others do in relation to controlling content is as much about controlling spam and people with grudges as it is anything else. I've personally witnessed people get on TA and relate stories as their own that they'd heard about other resorts. Some people just love to cause trouble, others cannot be made happy no matter what herculean efforts are made in order to accomplish this.

I've been to couples and can say with 100% confidence that the couples staff will go WELL above and beyond to ensure the happiness of each and every guest. As I said before, some people cannot be pleased and it doesn't benefit anyone to offer them a forum in which to explain 8000 times that their dinner was 20 seconds later than they thought it should have been. (that's a complaint I've seen on TA about another resort)

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    Well it is their message board, they can control whatever gets said on it.
    IACouple - Amen, I agree 100% and I would not want to be the one in charge of moderating .....

Randymon - Thanks for taking the time to respond. I know that I can be a sarcastic smart-@$$, but I've had plenty of practice, and have gotten pretty good at it. LOL --- The reason for this post was really only to bring to the attention that it seems that the "trigger" is being pulled a little quick on some posts. I'm not talking about personal attacks, etc, but average topics or discussions that I have read. And I'm not a "negative" poster on every topic. Hell, I was one of the first ones to back you up on the right to change the Romance Rewards when so many others were whining about it.

I love the message board and check in every morning. I was one of the main reasons we chose Couples four years ago. But I have seen it change a lot over the past year or so. Moderation has gotten more intense and instead of dozens of posts to read each morning, there are only a few new ones each day. True, this may be strictly from lack of postings from us, I don't know or pretend to know. From some of the frustration expressed by some posters, it seems as if some have just given up, or it's not worth the trouble. Just my opinion, and everyone knows what that's worth .... LOL

Once again, thanks for responding, I'm glad you guys are the ones having to deal with people like me and others..... I sure couldn't do it !!!
    Proud palapa hoarder since 2007 !!!