Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hand painted t-shirts at CSA

We are returning for the 4th year in a row this coming Feb!!!! Does anyone know what kind of paint the vendor that sells the hand painted t-shirts uses? We buy t-shirts every year and would like to bring him some paints.
    Thanks
    Maine girl

While i do not know what type of paint that Raybel uses, i do know he will really appreciate the gift.

we get shirts every year too. Raybel does great work.

Randy

I'm calling Janet this weekend (the lady they braids). I'll try to remember to ask her.

Can you post and pic of the shirts?

ya mon

ray bell is our jamaican son, the paints he uses are acrylic

i usually go to the big box store, wal----, the colors he prefers are black, yellow, dark green, dark blue, light blue, but of course, any thing is always appreciated, i have his cell number if you need it, i usually bring him a suitcase full when we go down.
    one love, waynef

here is a picture of Raybel wearing one of his shirts and working on another.

Name:  raybel.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  50.6 KB

I would love to see pictures of the shirts!

ray bell uses acrylic paint, brand that i found is apple barrel, he prefers dark colors, black, dark blue and green, brown and yellow, he would appreciate whatever you could bring

Is it a special type of acrylic paint for cloth???

Thanks

Maine Girl

Default Hand Painted Shirts

So cool! This is another reason why it pays to read the Message Board....learn something new just about every day! We're heading to CSA in Feb. 2011 and first I heard of the painted t-shirts & Ray Bell. Thanks!

Here's a picture of my kids posing with their shirts in their typical fashion...

He is a real gentleman also. I never even thought about bringing him paint, thanks so much for the information. We'll bring him some next December. On one of our visits, he brought us a couple of personlized shirts back in the evening before we were leaving. We met him in the lobby and the ATM machine was out of order. He handed us the shirts, and said pay me next time you are here. Fortunatly the ATM was working in the morning and we were able to get the money to him before we boarded the "Goodby bus"

warmweatherfriend,
    We bought shirts from Ray Bell for ourselves and our 3 kids last year, and they are amazing! They also wash extremely well, and he wrote everyone's name on the back of their shirts.
    They're a work of art and were an amazing price!
    Cheers,
    Terri

We bought a couple of shirts from him some years ago. My wife, an art teacher, was amazed at what he was capable of producing with the primitive and well worn supplies at his disposal. The next year she brought him several tubes of acrylic paints (bright colors, black and white) and several new brushes of various sizes and tip shapes. He was very gracious and accepted the gifts with humility and charm. He is quite talented and his work is wonderful to take home as a genuine piece of Jamaican culture. Prices are very reasonable and he will personalize his work for you, if time allows. He is on the beach on vendors day most every week.

ya mon, for rays paint, apple barrel, size bottle is 8 oz, permanent, fast drying and water base, stock number on a bottle of black is # 20404, cost on the bottle is $2.37 at wal mart,
    i always put the paint i buy him in a " double " zip lock bag to avoid spillage and put them in my checked luggage, i just called ray and things have been slow, he would appreciate what ever you could bring, respect

Would love to bring back shirts for my little ones when we go to CSA. Should we bring shirts for him to paint so that we have the right sizes for them?

you can bring your own t shirts or ray has them, but sometimes he is out so....... make sure the t shirt is of good quality, so paint doesnt bleed thru

Thanks so much for the details regarding the paint! For everyone else the shirts are great, wash well etc. We did bring our own shirts last year and will do so again for this trip mainly because I prefer a certain kind of v neck shirt not because the quality of his shirts is lacking.

Maine Girl

also make sure they are shirts that don't stretch easily. the paint will crack on ones like that. if you have little ones inexpensive t-shirts will do just fine. he may not have the smaller child sizes, but if you bring them he will paint them.

Randy

Default Hand painted shirts at CSA

When I was at CSA from 2/5-2/15 we paid Raybel for 2 t-shirts but only received 1. He wasn't there our last 2 days of vacation so I spoke to the lovely girl who sells jewelry right beside him. I gave her my name, address and cell phone number but I want to make sure he received it. Is there anyway to get in touch with him? I am not complaining he is a great guy and I am sure that something came up that prevented him from getting us our shirt. The shirt is for my great nephew and I was looking forward to giving it to him. Any help would be appreciated

Wow, definitely going to get some on our trip to CSA!

i am going down next week, can you give me description and size of shirt with any saying or picture on it, possibly your old room number if you remember and i will check with ray, i can bring it back and send it to you, one love, waynef

It was a mens small, light blue with a lizard and Negril Jamaica on it. We were in room 3124--Rod and Kathy. He should remember us--we brought him 6 bottles of paint for his work. Thanks for helping us out. You can e-mail me at kathybperry@aol.com. Have a great trip!! Thanks Again!

Mainegirl

Default Beautiful shirts!

We had 4 shirts painted by Raybel. We brought 3 of our own shirts for him to paint on and we bought one t-shirt from him. They all came out very nice. I also took him some paints which I found easily at WalMart & reasonably priced. One suggestion...it would be a good idea to seek him out earlier in your stay as he gets a lot of business. One of our shirts wasn't ready until the day before we left and one day, he ended up not being at the resort as expected.

Thanks for the suggestion but that is exactly what we did. My husband likes to buy and wear his shirt around the resort as a promo for Raybel.

Mainegirl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast