Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bob Marley Shots

How strong are the Bob Marley Shots?...I am not a heavy drinker, If I take a the shot will it have me drunk? Thanks

More than likely you will get drunk off of it. I did. Never before in my life have I gotten drunk off of 1 shot, until I did the Bob Marley. I say go for it anyways. It's kind of like a right of passage.

Quote Originally Posted by Girons View Post
    How strong are the Bob Marley Shots?...I am not a heavy drinker, If I take a the shot will it have me drunk? Thanks
    This depends on the way it's made. Without a heaping helping of overproof rum (a must for me), it's about as strong as 1 beer, tops.

It is very pretty, but TERRIBLE to drink. It is very strong. I can't imagine one shot would leave you drunk, but coupled with a few red stripe and/or fruity drinks and yes! I had one and it gave me heartburn for 3 hours and I never get heartburn. But it's Jamaica and you have to try it once!

How strong are the Bob Marley shots? ........don't strike a match near them.
    I am not a heavy drinker...........................you will be that day.
    Will it have me drunk................................pretty much so.

And oh, do they taste good?.....................they taste absolutely disgusting.
    Should I try one?....................................Certainly!

It's not a good tasting shot for one, and it is balanced between a no alcohol ingredient, a light alcohol ingredient, and an ultra-strong alcohol ingredient. It's probably no more total alcohol content than a shot of vodka or less. I did 4 in a row one time, becasue once one girl saw me do it, and she along with other people kept asking me to do one with their spouses, so they could get a picture. I was pretty good after that, but not sloppy. I'm also 6'2", 200 lbs and can hold my own in the bar department!

Honestly, I didn't find the Bob Marley shots to be "knock you on your butt strong." I do my share of drinking while on vacation (guess I'm a Medium Drinker??).
    I've heard people remark on how strong these shots are, so I guess I'm an exception.
    Anyway, I believe they are made-up of Grenadine (red), Cream De Menthe (green) Galiano?? (yellow) and 151 Proof Rum for the top.
    They're not very tasty so you'll down them quick!
    Enjoy and Have great vacation!

It is pretty potent, really depends how much you're used to drinking! My Husband can handle them, for me I would rather have a shot of Tequila, and that's going some! Worth trying once!

Well, that depends. Sometimes the "shot" is a drink served in a martini glass. That's a pretty strong drink. We once saw a guy from Louisiana consume three of them in quick succession; that was an scene at the pool that I will NEVER forget.

Sometimes the Bob Marley is served in a smaller glass, and we've also seen the drink served in a cordial glass (which my husband and I refer to as a "Baby Bob"). Whether it will be enough to get you drunk depends upon the size of the drink they happen to be serving when you order it. If you don't want to get drunk, order one of the smaller sizes.
    Last edited by Pamela; April 2nd, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Everyone is different, so it is very hard to answer your question, but they are pretty strong.

Said with a Jamaican smile "ya mon dis drink will have you singing like bob himself." try a ziggy which is a junior bob marley....

1 wont get you drunk, a few will though. They are strong.

Yes, get you drunk or make you pass out.

I will tell you about our experience with Bob Marley shots. I left CN for about 5 hours to visit a local school and my husband stayed at the resort. By the time I returned, my husband and others at the pool bar had enjoyed 4 or 5 shots. When I went to dinner that night I had to ask for a table for "one."
    Does that give you a clue about how my husband did with them? I have had them from time to time but only one a day and I have never had a problem. I think they taste like cough medicine so one is enough for me!!

Sorry to say but I think you need to try it at least once. If you are not a heavy drinker, no problem, just don't drink anything before or after it and you should be fine. Actually, you might be unconscious afterwards so no problem there. I do drink and will admit it put a hurting on me but doing it twice within half an hour probably didn't help However, when returning back to the states I could proudly say that I had a Marley shot, yet what happened afterwards is a secret only my wife and I know...maybe....I don't recall a 2 hour period but am sure all was good.

No big deal, it is something you must do, they are strong but the BIG issue is the taste. Kinda a mixture of a bad cough syrup mixed with kerosene. When were at CSA back in 2010 our bartender made ours in a medium size glass and cut thick straws to size. On three, all eight of us sucked them down and had our Ting chasers at the ready. You should do it, but only one per day is my suggestion, enjoy.

btw, we were watching as a guy talked of breaking the record? His friends carried him back to his room, we heard later that he did survive

Have you ever tasted jet fuel? To me (at least) that's what I think it tastes like. A Bob Marley is the 1st drink I have when we arrive at CSA. I might have a couple more during our stay, but it's not something I would drink several of. It's kind of a "welcome to Jamaica" drink and you should at least try it once, make sure you get a picture of you drinking it because the face you make after is priceless!! As far as getting you drunk I think depends on your alcohol tolerance. I'am not a very big drinker and it really didn't affect me at all, but I would still down for a few minutes after to let it settle. Have fun and enjoy there are so many tasty drinks to try.

If you're not a big drinker and want the experience of trying one, just do it either without the overproof, or with just a drop. Tell your bartender that you want to try it, but don't want to lose the rest of the day (or the day after). Seriously, we've seen people just shattered - I think because once you drink one, your inhibitions kind of get lowered and you find yourself having just one more beer, etc. until you've definitely overdone it.

Not getting preachy, as I enjoy having a few cocktails, but I figure that I spend enough on this vacation that I don't want to lose even a few hours because I'm overly hung over....

And the bartenders really will take good care of you.

Have fun!!

Here's the thing about the "Bob". Its a popular drink... mostly because of how its made. Its fun to watch them put 'em together, and is as much a science experiment demonstrating the concept of specific gravity as it is a bartending skill.

Because of its popularity, the "Bob" can be a dangerous concoction. It is prescribed to be mixed in a small cordial glass. However, if your barkeep is out of cordial glasses, he or she will not hesitate to put him in a champagne flute(far bigger), and scale "Bob" up to fit. Here is where the lights can go dim, and you might find yourself doing the hokey pokey during a waltz.

If in doubt, see my quote below....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Kind of over thinking a things a bit. Your in Jamaica & on vacation.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4-Jamaica View Post
    How strong are the Bob Marley shots? ........don't strike a match near them.
    I am not a heavy drinker...........................you will be that day.
    Will it have me drunk................................pretty much so.

And oh, do they taste good?.....................they taste absolutely disgusting.
    Should I try one?....................................Certainly!
    Love it....well said!!

I was at CN back in January and started every day with a Bob Marley and a Red Stripe right after. I met a bunch of people from Canada who hadn't tried one. So we all went to the beach bar and had one. A little while later I met 2 guys from Nova Scotia, and again we had a shot. And again I had a Stripe right after. A little while later a nice lady sitting at the bar asked what the shots were called. I told her and did a shot so she could film it to take back home and show her friends the drink. Again a Red Stripe. All in all I had 5 Marleys that day with a Red Stripe right after it, not counting the Stripes I was drinking while laying in the sun. I went on the catamaran boat ride and soon fell asleep(passed out?) Well nature called and I couldn't find the men's room and went to the ladies room instead. I missed the whole ride and had my head on my wife's shoulder. I had a nice 2+ hour nap. We're heading back again January 2013 for trip #4.

Default Bob Marley's

My wife has had ONE each time we're at CN and has handled them OK

Name:  Bob_Marley (300 x 225).jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  19.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Quote Originally Posted by mick7602 View Post

btw, we were watching as a guy talked of breaking the record? His friends carried him back to his room, we heard later that he did survive
    IIRC, the unofficial "record" is 14...I've only managed 12, but was able to make the manager's cocktail parts, dinner, and show at CSS.

Oh, I remember that day well, yes I did survive and yes it was 14. I didn't drink anymore of them for the rest of the vacation. OK, I did one more the night of the outdoor dinner party, Miguel made me do it...I swear!! They were a lot bigger than the one shown in the photo above, mine were served in a martini glass containing grenadine, green creme d'menthe, grand mariner, overproof, lit on fire, all sucked through a straw before the fire melted the plastic...ughhhh. I guess its all in who make it! Thanks Adrian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast