Default Sunburned and salt sensitive lips....HELP!!!

We had our first visit to CSA 4/13. We loved it so much that we have booked 3/14. I found the water in Jamaica to be extremely salty and by the end of the week my lips were extremely sore and swollen from the sun and salt. I couldn't even enjoy the jerk chicken anymore, it was too painful to eat......:-(
    I'm hoping that someone has some ideas so that this year I don't have a repeat of this problem. I had brought Chapstick with sun screen in it and it didn't help at all.

I have a similar problem and if I let it get at all out of hand, then my lips will erupt in cold sore. I use Neosporin lip balm with at least a 20 SPF. I reapply probably 10+ times per day. I wear a hat or visor most of the time. I also sometimes just smear my lips with heavy Neosporin ointment prior to bed. This has done the trick for me.

You were extremely dehydrated. Drink WATER

My wife had the same problem the first two trips. The third time she used the chapstick with a high SPF, Unlike the prior trips it was sunny EVERY day, but the difference this time was she applied it constantly throughout the day without any outbreak. I know what you are going through, that happened to me a few years back and there was no remedy. Now I use it, but I spend much less time in the sun. I tend to break out with acne and sun blister too.
    I know you said you used the chapstick, but you didn't say how often you used it. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeBerkshires View Post
    We had our first visit to CSA 4/13. We loved it so much that we have booked 3/14. I found the water in Jamaica to be extremely salty and by the end of the week my lips were extremely sore and swollen from the sun and salt. I couldn't even enjoy the jerk chicken anymore, it was too painful to eat......:-(
    I'm hoping that someone has some ideas so that this year I don't have a repeat of this problem. I had brought Chapstick with sun screen in it and it didn't help at all.
    I have that same issue! I use a lip balm with 45 sunscreen and apply it many times a day. It is always with me! That worked for me. But it has to have 45spf.

Carmex. On extended motorcycle trips my lips get badly burned and dried out from the wind. Carmex is the best stuff out there for treatment.

Lip Care | Skin Care | Carmex Lip Care | Carmex Skin Care | Carmex Lip Balm & Skin Care Products

S/F
    Scott and June

Try grabbing an all natural cocoa and/or shea butter balm for your lips. (or just use raw shea butter) Both butters soothe skin and shea butter has natural sun protection due to it's high content of vitamin E. I have very fair skin and swear by raw shea butter while I'm in Jamaica to soothe my lips and skin during and after being in the sun.
    Also keep yourself really hydrated before and during your trip.
    Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for all the good ideas. I hadn't applied the chap stick often enough this year but I will make sure to do that in March. Six more months...ahhhh I can't wait!!!!
    newtnugget- I don't go to Jamaica to drink water!!! Haha......

You are ALL referring to your MOUTH, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-n-Lisa View Post
    You are ALL referring to your MOUTH, correct?
    You're bad <laughing>